[Guide] How to be a Team Leader

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pregnaloons

02-08-2011

Greetings everyone, I've written this guide in an attempt to let some of you know a few good ways to lead your team. This is not a direct guide to winning, but having a well coordinated team in solo queue will win you many games.

How to be a team leader - A guide on how you can increase your chances of success by becoming the head of the team. Not by being the best player. This guide is most suited to those who play solo queue, as premades have built in teamwork, so a set leader is often not needed, still, feel free to read and grab some advice. This isn't a step by step guide on how to lead a team through a 1 hr game, and the stages therein, just overall advice that can be applied throughout the game.

In my time as a leader, I've learned a few important things that can be applied to LoL, heed these carefully!

Quote:
1. First off, it doesn't matter what role you play on your team, it doesn't matter how good your k/d/a or ELO is. If that's the kind of thing you only take notice of, this guide is not for you. Get some perspective on the game as a whole, and how teams need to work, then come back. This may take you many many games, but think on it. Some leadership is best supported by you playing a certain role (As discussed later), but it's not required.
Quote:
2. A Leader is nothing without followers! It is also important to remember that you may not be suited to the role of team leader, many, if not MOST people aren't. That's ok, you may be better suited to being the firepower of the team and doing what the leader tells you. Remember, the leader is nothing without you to follow them.
Quote:
3. If someone on your team is trying to lead (appropriately), FOLLOW. It doesn't matter if you disagree with their decision, if you as a team back him up, you have a much greater chance of success than if 3 of you do, and the other 2 think "no noob we shouldn't do dragon yet". Sure they might have a ward and gank you, but if 5 of you are there, you have a much better chance of A) taking the dragon out before they get there, B) Surviving the gank, C) Killing a few or all of them in the process. Plus if 2 people are there, the 3 enemies that were going to gank them will do so and get dragon, but if 5 of you are there, they won't bother, and you WILL get dragon. (You might have noticed through your experience in life that so many people in leadership positions aren't suited for it, don't worry about it. Instead notice that things tend to still go ok though under their regime, and fighting them will almost never get you anywhere. They are right because they have said so, and they believe it, follow and you never know where you might end up, life's an adventure.)
Quote:
4. You WILL get idiots. On average, probably 1 per game per team in solo queue. You will have to get used to it. You'll probably have experienced idiots already (assuming you've been playing longer than 5 minutes). Don't worry about it, it happens, and when it does, remember the next point.
Quote:
5. NEVER RAGE, never flame, never insult, never troll. If you do rage semi-regularly, you are not suited to be the team leader. You may be in the top 10 ranked players, but that doesn't make you a leader. Remember that old manager you used to have at Burger Mart? Remember how they got angry when someone did something wrong, and then you lost all respect for them and then stole frozen patties? You need to be calm and collected, because they thought that if they worked there for 5 years they were qualified to be a team leader. Leadership isn't that easy! Never, ever rage. Instead follow the next point.
Quote:
6. Be optimistic! Who wants a leader that leads them into depression and pessimism. I don't want my leader to say "Well we're screwed now, may as well give up". Sure you may be screwed, but you are DEFINITELY screwed if you act on it, and your team follows your lead. Morale will go down, and the nexus will follow.
Quote:
7. You will make mistakes. In my experience as a leader, I have made many mistakes, even mistakes that have had possibly life threatening consequences. Fortunately in LoL the worst consequence you'll have is an ace or losing the game. Get over it! Suck it up! It's a computer game! You wanna win? Try again! Realising the mistake you made last game makes it less likely to happen again.
Quote:
8. Experience everything. Try all the characters, read the forums, the patch notes, read guides on characters you don't even play! Get your knowledge and experience up, you'll be a lot less likely to make a bad decision. But don't let it get you down if you do!
Quote:
9. Consider what you say. I've separated this from not flaming, because I think it requires extra clarification. Even when you're not trying to yell, flame or be a jerk, you may sound like one to someone else. Remember that they don't hear you talking to them (unless you're on vent or whatever, then also realise you might not sound as cool as you do in your head, I know I don't!), they just see words on a screen, and say it in a voice that they invent for you. So try to make what you say sound the way you mean it. A big tip is not swearing! I do it in real life, but you sound like a bit of an idiot when you type it on the net. Especially if it's all censored anyway
Also remember that Leadership is very personality based, it requires you to think about the team, not just you. Does this exclude most players, even most people on the internet? Yes. Are you excluded? Of course you aren't, nobody thinks they are. But If you can assess that you ARE too self important, too often, then congratulations on taking a huge step towards becoming a better person! Read this guide again in a new light.

There are a few ways to lead your team that I can think of, I'll cover them as best I can.

Quote:
Basic leadership
- Can be backed up by any character.

This is general stuff, be able to concisely and coherently inform your team of the best option. This may be taking baron or dragon, warding, retreating, buying magic resistance or armour when they all complain about dying too quickly. If someone else tries to lead the team, that's ok. Don't force your opinion on them and call them a noob if you have different views, remember, if you do whatever choice as a team, you have a better chance of success.
Quote:
Leadership by Example.
- Often best backed up when you are playing Tank/initiator.

Lead your team in the general manner, but be the first in there. This is your job as a tank or initiator anyway. Let your team know how you are going to do it, and how they should follow. Then DO it! "I am going to ult their carry then exhaust them, when I do, everybody pile in and focus their trist/ez/mf then mop up the tanks".

This type of leadership can be dangerous when you're playing a carry. If you get lots of kills and constantly destroy, people may go "Oh snap this guy is good we should listen to his advice". But if you can't snowball, then a carry just looks useless, and noones going to listen to your advice. A tank is usually a solid area throughout the game, and you can initiate and show people how it's done. Also, as a carry you probably aren't going to initiate, so when you say "Get in there and fight them", people often wonder why you are asking them to die for you. Not the kind of thoughts a leader can afford.
Quote:
Passive leadership.
- Often best backed up when you are playing Support.
- Get Clairvoyance.

Not good at conveying your thoughts to your team in a polite and concise manner? Or getting sick of internet arrogance making people ignore you? Get clairvoyance, and play a support character. Why play support? Your goal here is to pretty much let your allies think they are leading. Sit back, let them decide to go where you are pointing them, and keep them alive, they'll think they did great. That's ok, they did do great, but you know it was because of you. They'll then wonder why in their next game they had no map awareness and their health never replenished. You will help your team, and stay alive through it. Use clairvoyance to passively tell your team where to go, if you know they're doing dragon, clair it, you don't have to say anything, if your teammates see enemies doing dragon, they will most likely head towards them to gank. (Unfortunately, this might not be the best idea, so you will have to let them know if the other 3 are mia, etc)

For now I'll just leave this guide as is. I will continue to update it though as I discover better ways to lead LoL players, and help you get the most out of your team. Also remember, this kind of playstyle is a great way to make friends. You know those people who are mostly silent throughout games? Sometimes they're just nice guys who can't be bothered talking to most internet people, because, who would? I've made friends out of trolls on both teams, just by being a nice guy, and a good leader. Give it a shot, and I hope some of this advice helps!

Pregnaloons

02-09-2011

Upvotes but no bumps or comments. Mystery community remains a mystery.

Bump for general enlightenment.

Liang Mao Xiang

02-09-2011

Interesting guide, this is a well detailed guide for those who are actually leading but more tips.
Also good for "future" leads, can help alot!
+1 for you buddy ! :3

OptimusPolak

02-09-2011

nice guide fo sho.

FaerellG

02-09-2011

I like that we seem to have a rash of general strategy guides popping up.

Pregnaloons

02-09-2011

Better than my usual rash!

Azaer

02-09-2011

Passive leadership.
- Often best backed up when you are playing Support.
- Get Clairvoyance.

Not good at conveying your thoughts to your team in a polite and concise manner? Or getting sick of internet arrogance making people ignore you? Get clairvoyance, and play a support character. Why play support? Your goal here is to pretty much let your allies think they are leading. Sit back, let them decide to go where you are pointing them, and keep them alive, they'll think they did great. That's ok, they did do great, but you know it was because of you. They'll then wonder why in their next game they had no map awareness and their health never replenished. You will help your team, and stay alive through it. Use clairvoyance to passively tell your team where to go, if you know they're doing dragon, clair it, you don't have to say anything, if your teammates see enemies doing dragon, they will most likely head towards them to gank. (Unfortunately, this might not be the best idea, so you will have to let them know if the other 3 are mia, etc)

--What I do, except replace "support" with "tank"

Pregnaloons

02-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azaer View Post
--What I do, except replace "support" with "tank"
Good stuff! If you play tank, you've already got to be thinking more of your team. Try leading by example if people will let you! They trust you even more when you save them, or sacrifice yourself for the carry.

Rrbhaunoch

02-10-2011

Quote:
Quote:
1. First off, it doesn't matter what role you play on your team, it doesn't matter how good your k/d/a or ELO is. If that's the kind of thing you only take notice of, this guide is not for you. Get some perspective on the game as a whole, and how teams need to work, then come back. This may take you many many games, but think on it. Some leadership is best supported by you playing a certain role (As discussed later), but it's not required.
While I agree with the general sentiment, generally there is a lot of friction in the games that I have played is when someone is 1 7 2 at 25 minutes and is trying to 'lead' by telling people what to do and where to go. You don't have to be the best player on your team, but you definitely are not going to be followed if you are by far the worst person on your team/a feeder, even if you are playing the tank or a support. But, like you say later in the post, most people that are that way are not able to realize that they are part of the problem....

Davrel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-10-2011

Well, I'm the perfect Team Leader then ^^

except for one thing....

Yea, I admit it....
Im raging sometimes too, but it was always justified >_<
I mean sometimes you just cant believe that you're really playing with lvl 30's.
Well, maybe lvl 30 just isnt what it used to be anymore
(Feel free to correct me if my english isnt right)