Finding the right champion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RAWPWN

02-08-2011

A friend got me started a little while ago and with the large number of champions I am having trouble finding the one for me. Most of my friends are high lvl so I can't play with them. I like support characters and high damage but have trouble finding out what works well with people I don't know. Support is good but is hard to use when you are with people who don't understand that you want to help. High damage is good (both spell and auto attack) but they usually have low health and I keep finding situations where I can't do anything without getting killed (ex. ash vs. mages). A blend would be nice but item builds are just hard to figure out when you can't survive long enough to use them. I am adaptable and will try anything. Any advice?

Stillhart

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-08-2011

Try a tank! They're support (in that they're not main dps) and teams depend on the tank, not the other way around. Rammus and Amumu are my two favorites and relatively easy to pick up. Galio is free this week, he's got great damage potential for a tank, but he does take some time to pick up and get good at.

xpsychedelico

02-08-2011

Your best way to find out is to keep playing all the free champions every week in practice games. Even if you find out you don't like them, it is information that will help you learn to anticipate and counter enemy teams.

Most of the time when playing with others you don't know, you should try and pick champions to even the teams out. One tank, physical carry, support, and mage. The last pick can be a tanky DPS/mage, or another carry or mage. Usually one tank and support is enough.

As for dealing with mages: they take advantage of your mistakes to kill you quickly. As a squishy like Ashe, you want to be behind your team's lines in a fight so the enemy can't simply walk up to you and kill you. Make them fight for it. Positioning is very important for everyone, but especially carries and support.

OmniOmega

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post
Try a tank!...
I'd agree. Try a support who is a bit of the beefier side.

Nunu (not typically considered support, I know) has an amazing single target slow, a movespeed/attackspeed buff (can be used on one ally and applies to himself as well). His Ult also does insane damage (and a 2.5 AP ratio!) when you get the entire channel off.

Morgana, too, is a support who is on the beefier side. Although she isn't that bursty, she still gets some crazy damage. She also has a shield that negates magic damage and CC.

Draysul

02-08-2011

Pick someone youd like. for example ranged if u dont like being close melee if u like fighting close ashe can use ulti on whole map and so can ezreal hopefully this helped

Dyr0nejk2

02-08-2011

I think you would enjoy AP/support Janna. With enough AP ~200-300 she can hit fairly hard, knock a team up, has great speed and escapability, great pusher, strong support, and with support items has decent survivability. Understand that unless you build full AP (you probably shouldn't) you will be relegated to a support role, but you will win games and your team will love you.