Match Making

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KurbyFX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-08-2011

Why do bad lvl 20-30s get to pick on players half their level? These kids have more masteries, higher runes, etc. Is it our fault they're so bad they can't play against people their own level and have to pick on people who aren't even half their level? Seriously... it's pissing me off that I've had to face 2-3 lvl 30s and numerous 20s+ when my team is around 11-15. It's not even competitive cause they have such an advantage over us (experience wise (amount of time spent playing game) and attribute wise)

And I'm pretty sure I'm not "THAT" good to have to be put against these guys. I'm still new and trying to learn the game, I just hit 14 and it's my 3rd week and first time playing with many of the characters with this new line up.

I heard some kid say it was average levels on each team? Is this based on ELO or summoner levels? Cause just because you put a lvl 1 and 30 on same team doesn't mean the game is going to be fair...

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

02-08-2011

It's based on Elo; summoner level has a very minor effect on your Elo. Masteries and runes are strong, but they can be overcome by a little bit more skill. The only time 'averaging' comes into play is when MM has trouble figuring out what to do with an arranged team of champions of disparaging level and Elo. There's really no good place to put a level 30 paired with a level 1; rather than letting the 30 stomp on those at the level 1's Elo, or the 1 get stomped by those at the 30's Elo, they put them somewhere in the middle (though leaning towards the higher Elo).

Overall matchmaking does a very good job, but it's easier at higher levels/Elos where there's a larger player base.

Stillhart

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-08-2011

Usually this happens when high level players group up with low level players to play. When they're grouped already, it uses average level (and the hidden Elo score) to match teams up.

It can be frustrating, but on the other hand, you are getting a first hand demonstration of higher level play. If you pay attention to what they're doing, you can learn some valuable stuff, even in a loss.

KurbyFX

Recruiter

02-08-2011

So, like I said, the level 30s are just REALLY REALLY bad and have to face guys level 10-15?

(Not considering pre-mades, but I'm PRETTY sure none of these kids are playing in arranged groups, I've actually encountered a 25 and he of course wasn't playing in a arranged team and he WAS fairly good too)

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

02-08-2011

That can happen, yes. As I mentioned, runes and masteries don't make as big a deal as you think, especially if the players using them don't understand how to use them properly (likely if they're not very good at the game).

Stillhart

02-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerfaust View Post
That can happen, yes. As I mentioned, runes and masteries don't make as big a deal as you think, especially if the players using them don't understand how to use them properly (likely if they're not very good at the game).
And if you don't believe this, try playing a game with the "wrong" runes and masteries. It's happened to all of us at some point and it's never a huge deal.

I'd say the only time it's REALLY noticeable is in special cases like a full crit page for Trynd/GP. Even a page to trigger the Akali passives doesn't make THAT big of a deal because you only need about 850 gold to trigger both (Long Sword and Amp Tome) with no masteries or runes.

xpsychedelico

02-08-2011

Runes and masteries TOTAL only give you approx 8% extra power, and this is mostly limited to early game where small differences matter. Once mid game rolls around and you have items that far outweigh what runes can give you, it really doesn't matter. If you play carefully and take calculated risks, you will be able to beat them regardless of what they have.

I played against level 30s around level 15 onwards, and still won pretty evenly. So it's really not a big deal. Additionally, you learn faster when you play against better opponents, so you can also take it as a good learning opportunity.