Why is Taric not considered a tank?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sły

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-08-2011

same reason why AP sion isn't a tank?

PowerpointRanger

02-08-2011

Let me rephrase why i think Taric is a tank:

In a teamfight, he can stand in the front of the 4 others, similar to the other tanks (if built as the aura *****). Once the opposing carry/AP Nuker/squishy gets close to Taric, he stuns them (not related to Taric's AP amount). This initiates the fight as Taric's team jumps on the stunned opponent, where at this point taric switches to a support role, healing others (not as much with no AP) and popping his ult (isnt affected by his AP, correct me if I am wrong). Once his stun is back, he stuns whoever is left. With all this going on, Taric can pop his aura to increase the damage his team does (again, the aura effect [armor reduction] is not related to his AP level, only the damage) .

Do you all then agree that he had been mislabeled by Riot as a Tank, and should be relabeled as a Bruiser to avoid confusion?

Onlyashadow

02-08-2011

Well he's not a bruiser(usually) and he's not a tank. Obviously just needs a "Support" tag slapped on him.

Riot mislabeled a champions tags?

New and exciting

EDIT: I don't think it's common practice for the enemy carries to go running over to the guy with the stun, infront of their team in a teamfight.

Also, even in that most unlikely case, initation doesn't mean tank. Plenty of non-tanks can initiate (ashe, xin, GP, annie, etc)

Popping taric's aura in a teamfight is usually a bad idea unless your AP is ****ING HUGE since having the defensive buff is > not having it. The buff is flat with no scaling on his W and R, the damage and heal respectively scale with AP.

Broman Mao

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-08-2011

Does he have damage mitigation like mummy and Allistar? i think not

Rex Longbone

02-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Roc View Post
Does he have damage mitigation like mummy and Allistar? i think not
what damage mitigation does mummy have again? I can't quite remember...

TheYango

02-08-2011

The problem is that his initiation and protection of squishies are rolled into one spell--If you stun to initiate, you don't have anything to stop the enemy melee from running at your carry. If you save your stun to protect your carry, you can't use it to initiate.

Amumu's bandage-ulti combo initiates AND protects your carry because in locking down 5 people at once, you ensure a massive positioning advantage for your team. Stunning 1 person doesn't do that, because the other 4 people on the enemy team can still reposition as your team moves in. Malphite, Alistar, and Galio all have multi-target initiation/protection in the same way, and Malphite still has multiple ways to protect squishies after his ulti is down (slow melee/apply attack speed debuff), while Alistar has 2 CCs, meaning he can save 1 to peel his carry after using the other to initiate.

Broman Mao

02-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Longbone View Post
what damage mitigation does mummy have again? I can't quite remember...
He has a physical damage mitigation with his Tantrum