...How is it possible to do badly with Gangplank?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

St Viers

02-08-2011

I feel Gangplank is the most underrated champ right now. He has an impressive skill set (denying is very ignored, he has a QSS built in, an ult that could be better, but is nowhere near as useless as people assume, and an amazing skill for quick damage and extra gold), and in a 2v1 situation (or 1v2) he can either grossly outlevel the lane opponents or keep them from getting a level advantage themselves. Even if he were put in a bottom lane with a good support (didn't steal minion ks), he would provide a noticeable gold and xp gap.

hydrogencar

02-08-2011

Seen a GP 1vs1 a Kennen top. At some point GP was lvl 10 Kennen was lvl 8.
Both mids were lvl 9.
Most people use the ult to initiate/scare enemies away but if you use it AFTER the teamfight started it actually helps splitting the enemies up. Parley is awesome. Herp derp 50% of that Ashe's HP is gone on pre-fight harass. His E is awesome and he got a built in cleanse.
He's absolutely NOT a bad champion. If you get Infi/PD and stack Bloodthristers he is.

Lawrry

02-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoE Surion View Post
So, those gangplanks didnt skill their W skill to counter your big fking arrow?
apparently not.

Beverak

02-08-2011

WoW.

As someone pointed out earlier you are level 15. You had 2 great games with gangplank. I don't know if you did something gimmicky but you have no boots for him at the end of either of those games. That is ridiculous, a GP who isn't mobile dies. He's an incredibly squishy champ who has to use his W to stand a chance if he gets focused if you build him all crit.

That's one reason he's not considered great, because against any decent team you will have no prescence in a fight because as soon as you're in range of an opponent you'll get burned.

Also notice how despite your kills you still lost those games. He can get kills, but he doesn't win team fights. Sustained damage means putting yourself in harms way and a full dps GP can't, so he parley's and gets a kill and looks nice on paper, but wasn't nearly as contributive as a ranged dps or an olaf or xin would have been as deciding a game.

And premade with 30s doesn't mean jack if all the 30s have negative win ratios. And having a level 15 in there means even more inferior opponents.

While I think GP can be decent, I don't think he can carry like Shen or Rammus or taric or janna or a hard carry like irelia/olaf. Posts like this just give people warped ideas about how a champ performs.

And there is no way taking Q over E at 1 is advisable. The experience denied is practically the biggest draw of a GP.

SoFFacet

02-08-2011

Just pointing out here that one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen was denyplank in a 2v1 lane on a team with no jungler. Because of E his lane always pulls, which made it 100% impossible for the solo top to get any xp. Literally zero.

Not unbeatable by any means, but its tough. It requires a lot of teamwide support and communication that a solo que team could never have.

As other people are saying, GP is basically just an epic laner and farmer. He relies on having outfarmed/leveled his opponents (which he is perfectly equipped to do) but his skillset is quite inferior to almost every other champ if the level of farm ever approaches equality.

ComradeHX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-08-2011

Gangplank vs. Ashe is easy.

Get merc tread(will still be faster with E), then cleanse and ghost +W.
W for ashe's ulti and cleanse for when she shoots volley(3 seconds of immuninty to her slow with treads).

Then proceed to slow her with ulti and one/two shot her with Q.

Gangplank is great when packing Cleanse, ghost, W, and QSS(Yes, I can farm a QSS after the IE and Touhou blade) all at the same time...he is the fastest melee champion due to E and he can build TriForce and PD to further increase his speed...
All he needs to do is to get some CDR (per level preferred since he is not all that great early game) runes + mastery and run in for Q, then out, rinse and repeat(throw in a ulti when appropriate).

Unlike other squishies, GP is actually safe in the laning due to his deny/tower hug. As long as people remember that at lv1-2 he need to autoattack melee minion 1/2 times, wait for 2 tower shot, THEN Q.

Icarus Penna

02-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverak View Post
WoW.

As someone pointed out earlier you are level 15. You had 2 great games with gangplank. I don't know if you did something gimmicky but you have no boots for him at the end of either of those games. That is ridiculous, a GP who isn't mobile dies. He's an incredibly squishy champ who has to use his W to stand a chance if he gets focused if you build him all crit.

That's one reason he's not considered great, because against any decent team you will have no prescence in a fight because as soon as you're in range of an opponent you'll get burned.

Also notice how despite your kills you still lost those games. He can get kills, but he doesn't win team fights. Sustained damage means putting yourself in harms way and a full dps GP can't, so he parley's and gets a kill and looks nice on paper, but wasn't nearly as contributive as a ranged dps or an olaf or xin would have been as deciding a game.

And premade with 30s doesn't mean jack if all the 30s have negative win ratios. And having a level 15 in there means even more inferior opponents.

While I think GP can be decent, I don't think he can carry like Shen or Rammus or taric or janna or a hard carry like irelia/olaf. Posts like this just give people warped ideas about how a champ performs.

And there is no way taking Q over E at 1 is advisable. The experience denied is practically the biggest draw of a GP.
^ got a good point, even though you got tons of kills, you don't contribute to team, stealing kills from your true carry is really bad. the only good thing about gp in team is his ult.

Ravage Savage

02-08-2011

You are only going to 2 hit a squishy with your q if they haven't built a single survivability item and you luck out with back to back crits. In this situation you could do just as well with any other character and contribute in other important areas.

But yea, like it has already been pointed out, OP doesn't know what he is talking about.

Crazyflames

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-08-2011

I remember when I first started playing someone was smurfing (I think thats where a high level starts over to pubstomp) with twitch and 3 shot their whole team, I think that was the first pentakill I saw, THAT was OP, GP is FAR from that. (Twitch is no longer that good so don't try it )

StrongGuy

02-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroghar View Post
Even though it was just one game, I was skeptical at your claim since I've NEVER seen a Gangplank do quite that well.

After looking at your profile I noticed two things.

1. You're level 15. You really shouldn't be posting anything at this point other than "please guys, how do I play this game I don't know anything yet."

2. You're score was actually 16/9. So why are you beefing up your score on the internet?

16/9 is still good, I'll give you that, but you really can't be excited about anything outside of level 30 matches. When I was still leveling up, especially in the pre-20 days, I was getting insane scores of 20+ kills on champs like Singed and Olaf, champs I couldn't get near that score with now. In the early levels you're playing against people that likely don't know how to play against your champ and have little feel for how to avoid getting killed in general, let alone buy defensive items.

Gangplank is pretty rarely a great choice in my experience. Unless the other team is really bad and feeds you, it takes a lot of farm to get Gangplank up to a powerhouse level. You played one match and were fed, you felt what it feels like to be a fed Gangplank, play some more matches and see what happens if you get denied in your lane.
LOL this was a better read than the initial post