[help] Playing the Carry?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shosuko

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-07-2011

Okay so I started lol with Annie, love that little girl. Burst is great, kills come in, I notice I'm losing games regardless of my ability to kill, so I start looking at carries... I pick up yi and jax, they both trashed me before, and I pretty much suck with them. I trash with jax in 3v3, but in 5v5 I just don't do very well.

I realize I'm sucking with carries, so I back off... and try support. There aren't a lot of tanks or junglers, so I pick up Shen and Amumu. Things are going great. I can play Annie or Anivia and be a great burst champ, I can play Amumu or Shen and tank well. I even work pretty well with chogath and nunu building mage / tank...

Since tanks are a more vacant role, I'm often playing tanks, and getting pretty good win ratio from it. Lately I've run into some situations where I've gotta play a carry though... idk why but a team fills up with tanks, supports, nukers, and a good carry is all that's needed to make it a well rounded team. I've picked up Ashe, since she's pretty basic as a carry, I still have Yi, and Jax too.

I can't win fights for my life >_< I get a lot done split pushing... hitting bot when a team fight goes on top, pushing and getting turrets... but in team fights I'm !@#$ near useless... I wish I could hit up some video replays of my lameness in action so I could analyze what I'm doing VERY wrong... but I can't.

So please - (tl/dr) - any tips for plaing a carry? What are some good "starter" carries that could work me into the role? Should I go with ranged carry or melee? What are the best survivability options to build in without crippling damage output?

exuion

02-07-2011

I'd try to position. Since ashe has no escape mechanism, staying back and alive is essential. The ability to farm massively and not lose out in laning also would help a ton. It would be really helpful if you can give us a replay of some sort (frap or whatnots) so we can see what you have done/could've done better.

Shosuko

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-08-2011

Are there any well known players who play the carry well, and have vids on youtube? Like stonewall's jungle vids? I don't wanna watch someone pub stomp using tactics that only work on noobs... Since I can't really give a vid of what I'm doing, anyone know where I can find a vid of someone playing really well?

Kouri

02-08-2011

I have played Ashe a decent amount, among other ranged carries and for the most part there will be one thing you should learn about them. Carries never really go into a team fight.

Let me explain, the carry (ranged specifically) has the job of doing damage and killing the enemy team, preferably starting with the squishies but not necessarily. Some carries can get caught and get away (Tristana, Corki, etc.) because they have a movement skill, but Ashe does not. If you don't ever let the opponent get to you then they can't kill you. There are a lot of guides for Ashe, and any of the good ones will tell you, Ashe doesn't go in. She uses her team as a shield while she pokes the enemy with volley and kills the ones she can get to with auto attacks. Her enchanted crystal arrow is also great for initiation, ganking, and interruption. There are some fights where you never really get a chance to go in because the enemy will be able to get at you. Ashe is best as a chaser because the enemy is already on the run.

tldr: Go look up some guides, leaguecraft and other sites have a lot of good ones, some of them have videos attached. Also don't let the enemy get to you.

Chingmeister

02-09-2011

The most forgiving carry to learn on is AS Kennen with Cleanse/Ghost maxing lightning rush first.

Kennen has very high AS scaling from items/runes/levels so a wits end and MBR do a lot of damage.

He also has more hp and mobility than most ranged carries, the strongest early game, and is the only ranged champion with AoE stun. All of these make for a forgiving learning experience.

Lantern > Wits > MBR + Mercuries adds 2 armor items, 2 MR items, and great damage, lifesteal, jungling and warding for an overall fairly forgiving ranged carry.

Koulas

02-09-2011

Try a carry like Tristana and Corki who have a high margin of error and allow you to screw up once or twice with Flash. Carries like Sivr, Ashe and Kog are all very dependent on positioning, which can only really be learnt through practice and instinct.