Advanced Tristana?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Valduran

01-22-2010

Yay! Input from someone who knows what Trist really plays like. The whole end-game heavy bit is something I'm really starting to realize, and I'm thinking it's possible end-game Trist is actually quite a bit stronger than other end-game physical DPS carries? I've actually used that "Tell my team to turtle while I farm my item set" strategy more than once and ended up winning losing matches. Great fun. xD

What I meant by "requiring more care" is that getting kills early game with Trist is a little harder than with alot of other characters, and thus there is a possibility that she will spend the entire game slightly weaker if you don't do it right. Although, since I don't have much experience with other ranged DPS I might not be realizing that it's the same for all of em except Twitch. ^^
Ashe seems like she might be a bit easier than Trist to get kills with early on though.

Thanks for the advice anyway, especially the bit about the runes. What do you think about stacking Magic Resist in blue slots though? I know focusing on damage is the way to go with Tristana, but it seems like I take the most damage from enemy casters so it might be a nice defensive mechanism.

I'm a bit torn about not getting Mallet, especially since it gives an extra 700 HP which is a very nice cushion, but your build might actually be more dangerous in the hands of a skilled player who knows how to keep up lizard buff. You're totally right about not focusing on attack speed or crit chance early on though. Part of my problems so far is that I've been doing that, and I just figured out that it was weak shortly after I made my original post.

Salabaster

01-22-2010

my build with trist is
10% life steal at start
boots upgraded to the 25% ones quickly
then start getting infity edge if not upgrading my boots gets me the 50 dmg sword then i get that first
get the crit last, i even skip getting it if i have to return to town before i can get the next dmg part
after the infinity edge i go for the bloodthirster or the first slow mallet depending on my opponents
then after that the games usually over but it all depends on who i fight for what i buy. usually go with maxing out dmg but sometimes i need to get some dodge or the 40% armor reducer.

Noctred

01-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valduran View Post
What do you think about stacking Magic Resist in blue slots though? I know focusing on damage is the way to go with Tristana, but it seems like I take the most damage from enemy casters so it might be a nice defensive mechanism.
I wouldn't do it. You'll be better off just stacking armor pen and two-shotting casters. Plus, you should rarely be soaking up damage as a carry in team fights. If you are, something is wrong with your team's initiation.

Beegly Boogs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2010

Quote:
Yay! Input from someone who knows what Trist really plays like. The whole end-game heavy bit is something I'm really starting to realize, and I'm thinking it's possible end-game Trist is actually quite a bit stronger than other end-game physical DPS carries? I've actually used that "Tell my team to turtle while I farm my item set" strategy more than once and ended up winning losing matches. Great fun. xD

What I meant by "requiring more care" is that getting kills early game with Trist is a little harder than with alot of other characters, and thus there is a possibility that she will spend the entire game slightly weaker if you don't do it right. Although, since I don't have much experience with other ranged DPS I might not be realizing that it's the same for all of em except Twitch. ^^
Ashe seems like she might be a bit easier than Trist to get kills with early on though.

Thanks for the advice anyway, especially the bit about the runes. What do you think about stacking Magic Resist in blue slots though? I know focusing on damage is the way to go with Tristana, but it seems like I take the most damage from enemy casters so it might be a nice defensive mechanism.

I'm a bit torn about not getting Mallet, especially since it gives an extra 700 HP which is a very nice cushion, but your build might actually be more dangerous in the hands of a skilled player who knows how to keep up lizard buff. You're totally right about not focusing on attack speed or crit chance early on though. Part of my problems so far is that I've been doing that, and I just figured out that it was weak shortly after I made my original post.
I'm sorry man but most games don't last long enough for Trist to get fat.

Valduran

01-22-2010

I've played over 100 games with her. I'm pretty sure I know how things go. >.>

@Noctred: Ok, thanks. I'll stick to other stuff.

xrats

01-22-2010

Is there something wrong with people of this forum or is it just my idea.This person asked for opinions on how to advance his play with tristana and all he gets is other things than that in an aggressive way...

Iam tristana user also and have won lots of games.You are right.The early game is hard for tristana especially vs experienced opponents.What i try to do is:

1)If i have problem from too much spam early on i get life regen and lifesteal.I also use my runes to give me life regen most and not critical.Since this hero has early game problems then its best to focus all your powers there.Mages in general or spam skills with slow and stuns are the main problem.In this case play defensive until you get wits end.A totally must item.The ability to hit from far away combined with mana burn is very cool.This will hit the spammers where they really hurt.MANA.Without it they wont be much of a threat anymore.Meanwhile,your life regen and lifesteal will help you stay there keeping push and farm while they ll think how to spam u and stay behind their creeps and towers.

2)Iam not a fan of big damage but instead i prefer attack speed on her.Of course,you have always your first skill but i have found that vs good players it wont work.You have 7 seconds only and at this point the enemy can slow u,stun u or even get back and come to you after.Sure its a cool skill and useful but i prefer to get it as a bonus,not relying on it totally.Its much more useful to use it vs targets that cant move to avoid it like towers,minions,inhibitors,turrets etc etc.There are many items that increase your speed and also give u wonderful unique abilities,also increasing your dmg vs many targets in the game.You can combine these items to counter nearly everything in the game,while your attack speed will be increased.

I think its better to hit 200 dmg in 1 seconds than 400-500 in 2,plus this way you also have unique abilities much better than these of the classic dmg items you can get.At any case if u are bored from the same bo all the time u can try this to see how it will go.I prefer to try my own things on a game and not what the most ppl usually do.I think that by experimenting u learn more.

If u try this bo use caution and judgement on the items u ll choose to make.For example,if the enemies dont have mana wits end would be useless while if they have many tanks last whisper would be more useful.

I dont prefer sparing money to late lifesteal items cause tristana is a hero who stays back.She needs other things much more to help her team instead of life.

3)Analyze the way of your enemies are playing.You may have jumb to avoid things but this doesnt make invicible.Experienced players can still kill u easily.Since you are low on hp you will be the main target.One thing i tried and has worked for me many times is using wards.While your team pushes u stick all together.But clever enemies know that its not good to fight a team with a good tristana face to face.So,they ll try to surround your team and get you.They have blinks to reach u soon.They ll use every possible way to kill u and its not so difficult.

By sparing some money to buy wards u can see what its coming and avoid it easily.One ward left and one right and it will be much better for u.You farm well with this hero so spending 180 gold in wards even in early game to avoid gangs isnt so hard.

4)Stick with allies that have slow or heal.Its the best you can do if u dont go solo.Double slow will get u some early kills and boost your economy.For better results use jumb + blind and third skill to finish the opponent.Heal also helps u stay in your lane further.

I think that the main philosophy with this hero is to coop a lot with your team to push and not kill the enemies.She is not a 1vs1 hero.She is a pushing/farming/assist hero.You wont be able to get scores like this 22-0-13(which i have made also)in games vs really good enemies.I have taken games with her with negative scores also.She is a lovely hero and she has potentials but she needs clever playing that goes beyond basic things of making dmg and kill enemies late game.You must measure the situations all the time and change your items according to what you face in the game.If this doesnt happen and u stick to always the same and can win easily this means that u face weak enemies.Simple as that.

Lastly,the fact that noone or too few play her doesnt mean anything.I have read tons of other guides for other heroes and if i coop well with my team i always own them all and win the game.90% of the games i lose is by weak team or no coop in team.And this without being a pro or anything,just a medium player.

Michelle Zen

01-23-2010

http://leaguecraft.com/builder/Trist...f80f34a6d1c845

Check the DPS under the Battle Theory Tab. This is what I plan to test. Yes it is expensive, but i also plan to work on my farming technique. Why Boots of Mobility? Don't ask. I have a fetish for orange boots. Change it to Beserker Greaves and the DPS will kick up to 900+.

RamboBatman

01-23-2010

If I'm playing a ranged carry, its Tristana. If I'm soloing mid I like to start with the new Doran's Blade and a hp pot. I generally don't need it but early game I like to play it safe and the 120 hp + rocket jump pretty much guarantess I'm not gonna get killed early. Also, I don't know how much this happens at high levels anymore since the jungle-delay but Doran's are pretty good for lvl 1 teamfights.

My early playstyle is determined by who I'm up against. If its a melee carry I try to harass them with exploding shot (both the passive and active). If its a ranged carry I just try to farm as hard as I can. Not many champs can take down a creep wave like Trist so I'm generally going to out-farm my opponent. Probably the most tricky is a mage like Annie or Veigar. Now, you can just try and out farm them and that'll probably work. However, I like to try and send them home as often as possible. I wait until right after they throw their farming spell (disintegrate, baleful strike) and then run in and hit them with an exploding shot during the 2 secs they're on cooldown. Whenever they pop a potion its imperative to hit them with the ES to keep them from healing even if you need to eat a spell to do it. This should force a BP pretty quickly.

The next item I go for is a madred's razor, usually with pair of boots if I can afford it. The madred's will pay for themselves with the increased farming they'll get you and they allow you to solo the lizard 1-2 lvls earlier than without. However, at this point I start to push too well so the creep line is going to end up at the opponent's tower. Rather than risk being ganked, I'll go and wipe the wraiths on my side whenever this happens, which will give time for the creeps to get back to the middle and then its just rinse, repeat. Of course, if you can see all your opponents on the mini and your mid opponent doesn't have a stun, feel free to pop your rapid fire and put some damage in on their turret.

After the madred's I don't really think item choices are too important. People put a lot of thought into their item builds but really it boils down to getting some balanced stats. As long as you have some lifesteal, some damage, some crit, some armor pen. and a little bit of attack speed it doesn't make a whole lot of difference which order you get it in. I'm partial to grabbing an exec. calling after a BF sword but, they're going to make it so healing reduction doesn't stack so this strat is about to go out the window. Anyhow, I can't say for sure how "advanced" my Tristana is but I've definetely enjoyed playing her more than any other carry.

Beegly Boogs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2010

Quote:
I've played over 100 games with her. I'm pretty sure I know how things go. >.>

@Noctred: Ok, thanks. I'll stick to other stuff.
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/3300/statshi.jpg I don't really see # of games played as an indicator. (The majority of my Trist games were in low Elo, and I'm sure most of yours were too)

Kung Fu English

01-23-2010

I played Trist as my first main and my buddy plays her more now than I used to, and he seems to be pretty successful. Also, I use a similar build with Twitch and it tears through people.

He goes for nearly 100% crit chance build.

It goes something like this:

Doran's Blade +/- (good for early survival, I get it because I don't use HP runes, he doesn't because he uses HP runes. I usually sell mine mid game).
Zerker Boots/Executioner's Edge (in any order, if you are running a lot get boots, otherwise get edge)
Executioner's Edge/Zerker Boots
Phantom Dancer
Infinity Edge
Phantom Dancer
Black Cleaver

If the game is still going and you are dying consider selling Exec Edge for a banshee veil or some other defensive item. If you need more attack speed sell it for a Malady, last whisper or wit's end, but you will lose your 100% crit rate.

Runes: Red: Crit damage % (with 100% crit you don't need crit chance and you DO need crit damage)
Yellow: Dodge or Flat HP for early survival or Clarity for mana if you need it (I find myself running clarity as a summoner spell for early mana but I may switch my runes for this).
Blue: CD reduction, flat or scaling you decide.
Quint: Up to you and your playstyle. I run crit damage, my friend runs HP.

Mastery: I go full offense (20/0/0 atm) and my friend runs Utility (0/0/21 atm) and plans on going to 0/9/21 with nimbleness and dodge runes at 30.

Oddly enough the yellow clarity runes are better than the blue ones (0.1/lvl vs. 0.08/lvl)

With this you will hit 100% crit and have epic move speed and your crits will hit for about 290% (with crit dmg quints and offense mastery). You should own face especially if you go last whisper/black cleaver as your support items. And you'll have about 47% dodge if you run dodge runes so there's that.