Karthus vs. Kat mid

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Magus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-07-2011

I am at a complete loss. Karthus has always seemed like such a strong mid lane, but I encountered this match up the other day and was just unable to come up with anything in this scenario. Kat could easily shunpo in Karthus' face, and if she didn't kill him out right, had enough damage potential to take at least half a life bar off with no consequences. Hitting them with wall of pain, activating AoE, and spamming lay waste was not a deterrent and paled in comparison to the kind of damage output she was giving off.

Running was not an option. Getting out of range took too long and just gave her free hits. Buying a negatron cloak early gimped my damage and did not stifle her damage enough where with one full combo she could still kill Karthus almost immediately, even next to the tower. Baring all that I just have no idea what could have been done by Karthus to salvage that situation. Shunpo range was at least as big as laywaste range, playing ultra defensive couldn't stop her from flashing and shunpo-ing then killing if I wanted any experience at all. The teamfight phase went a good sight better, but fed Kat was still a beast.

Burbinator

02-07-2011

You need to play super aggressive right from the get go. At level 1, shunpo has a high cd. If she shunpos to you and plays aggressive, chances are she's acquiring minion aggro AND she can't use any skills for a pretty long duration. Your continuous lay waste spam will eat up a lot of mana but easily out damage her. Zone her out, since she is melee and can onlyuse bouncing blade so often. If you know you are laning against kat i'd highly recommend starting with several health pots. You can easily outdamage her in sustained damage (up until level 6) as long as you are willing to eat her burst. Just watch out for bouncing blades reduced healing in between. Heck, i've outlaned kat as kassadin before. She's very very strong at higher levels because her cd's are so low and she doesnt need to worry about mana (similar to vlad but more aggressive and less sustanibility) so you really need to start zoning her out, denying her xp/gold straight from level 1. Won't always work but its your best shot .

AkitaNeru

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-07-2011

To follow-up on what Burb's said already, make sure you keep an eye on how much damage you're taking from Kat during the early levels, even if you are successfully going toe-to-toe with her.

It's not uncommon for a player in mid to basically kill themselves on Karthus once they hit level 6, just to acquire that first blood gold, and Kat is very good at doing this. If you have under half your health by the time Kat hits 6, expect her to shunpo, spin up her ult, and then toss a blade at you (and maybe another shunpo and/or ignite). While there's a decent chance you can kill her during all this, especially considering Karthus' passive and his ult, the trade isn't exactly worth it unless you get first blood.