Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Help on Alistar build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

gummies

01-21-2010

I saw on a livestream on solomid.net that an alistar got trinity force as his first big item. Do most alistars do this? Shouldn't you get tank items such as warmog's?

nicosharp

01-21-2010

Doesn't matter much what you build first as long as you can play aggressive and have competent teammates that back you. Sometimes Trinity first fails if you are having trouble in your lane, or getting completely shutdown by your carries ability to last hit, and the opponents heavy harrassment.

Trinity First building Sheen as the first piece works well, but takes some getting used to survival wise.
If your team has limited amounts of CC, and plenty of DPS, its probably better to go a support/cooldown/tank build, as I have been noticing lately.

Prospero

01-21-2010

I find solo Q-ing trinity is my best bet. I can't necessarily trust my carries can do their job properly. I grab Aegis as my one defensive item and the rest is pure offense. When I'm playing a premade, I end up being a bit tankier because I know my team is going to do its job. I also frequently open with a mana manipulator to boost my lanemate. Still, even in premades I'll go trinity if we are not getting stomped, and I always get sheen, no matter what.

HanzGruber

01-22-2010

Mostly my item build depends on the opponents. If they have a lot of ranged dps or stun/snares available, I find Nico's support tank builds work well. If they have a tank heavy or nicely balanced team, I tend to aim for Bait's more aggressive build. The nice part of Alistar is that he's not really confined to doing a single job. The downfall is that he's not the best at anything he does.

Aralain

01-22-2010

I would recommend a sheen for any alistar build personally. He has a naturally high attack damage, and the extra ap/mana on sheen give his headbutt/pulverize combo an extra 50 damage per go. Now your next attack is double, and if you get a decent crit you throw in another 200-300 damage mid game. Very good stuff to deter pesky champs like Katarina who will try to solo you. You pulv, she lotus's, you headbutt to the wall, slap her in the face, she runs away crying.

The best tank item combo I've found so far is a warmog's back by a force of nature. The high hp + hp regen is massive. If you snag these two, you are officially beefy and should be able to focus dps from then on out.

DO NOT - try to stack attck speed with alistar. Getting some is ok, but if you attempt to stack it for tower knock downs or lifesteal builds, you will fail. At 200% bonus attack speed Alistar get's an amazingly underwhelming 1.25 attacks per second. Just don't. Really.

Also with Alistar, I do recommend a trinity force if you don't need to be super tanky. 90% of the time, your ulti has enough 'tank' to work. Pick up trinity for the 50% slow chance, but more importantly the 150% damage boost. Remember, he has naturally high attack, and his auto attack is what you wanna prime if go dps style. If you get lucky enough to stack a trinity force with an infinity edge you will LOL as you stun them, headbutt them into a wall, then walk up and crit them for 600 damage. Note that if you snag a warmog's and a force of nature, atma's impaler is a natural extension for excellent bonus damage, and it's not too expensive!