Jungling with Amumu, is it still possible?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SomniumProxy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbinator View Post

also lol who downvoted me without explaining? Amumu is a weak jungler, especially after MR buff to jungle creeps, and he's extremely dependent on blue buff (predictable for other team and a gank would completely disrupt him). You need all the help you can get when jungling with him.
That would be me. Amumu takes golem with 16 mastery points and no runes at all. And ends up with more than 100 health. Help is always good, but the statement:

Quote:
He can't solo blue without them, not even close, and without blue his jungle is pathetically slow.
is misleading and untrue. Try a parctice game if you want. I don't like discouraging new players to try the things they're supposed to be doing later, especially without a valid reason.

Burbinator

02-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomniumProxy View Post
That would be me. Amumu takes golem with 16 mastery points and no runes at all. And ends up with more than 100 health. Help is always good, but the statement:

is misleading and untrue. Try a parctice game if you want. I don't like discouraging new players to try the things they're supposed to be doing later, especially without a valid reason.
Correction is more helpful than random downvotes though. I never saw the point of downvoting without saying anything, it's the exact opposite of constructive criticism. I

was mistakent hat amumu cannot do it at all. However, ending with only 100 hp means that he probably has to blue pill very soon in the future, making ganks very difficult. I would not reocmmend a new player to jungle amumu at all because he's simply not a strong jungler without runes or masteries. Sorry if that seems discouraging to you.

SomniumProxy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbinator View Post
Correction is more helpful than random downvotes though. I never saw the point of downvoting without saying anything, it's the exact opposite of constructive criticism. I

was mistakent hat amumu cannot do it at all. However, ending with only 100 hp means that he probably has to blue pill very soon in the future, making ganks very difficult. I would not reocmmend a new player to jungle amumu at all because he's simply not a strong jungler without runes or masteries. Sorry if that seems discouraging to you.
I was really in a hurry at the time, normally I don't like to downvote without saying anything either.

Ending with 100 hp means you'll have to wait a bit to heal before you proceed, hence your jungling is slower, as I mentioned before. However you're still able to complete your jungling route and gank at lvl 4 with lizard.

In my eyes amumu is a very strong jungler (I've played him a lot). using ghost, he is almost guaranteed to score a kill with the lizard mark. (having a stun and all). He can also drop the dragon fairly quickly. I don't think this si that difficult for a new player. Hence why our opinions differ :P

MrAron

02-06-2011

Yay i created a genuine discussion!
Seriously though, given that I'm not getting interrupted (that much), would i be able to begin jungling as soon as i reach 20 (buying the runes that are necessary)?
And, any general tips to me as a newbie jungler?

Burbinator

02-06-2011

Because the health you gain upon levelup is based on current health, you want to always use potions to keep yourself as high hp as possible. Try not to waste it, but generally when starting a camp with only cloth armor, you might as well pop it immediately. Potions take a while to work too, if you start using potions too late on blue or something you definitely won't survive.

IIRC you only need 1 point in xp mastery to level from 1 to 2 after blue OR small golems (if you prefer starting there). I think you need 3-4 points if you want to hit level 3 after blue-> wolves -> wraiths, of course your rout ewill differ based on which jungler you pick.

Generally you want to clear jungle except for red, then bluepill and grab boots/more potions. This way you can gank immediately after getting red buff and maximize its duration, boots help a ton with ganking too. If you have extra health that you don't want to "waste", go ahead and kill small lizards first before going back.

Remember respawn times. Regular camps first spawn at 1:40, blue/red at 1:55, in case you were wondering. Blue/red respawn after 5 minutes (so 7:20~ if they start on blue), dragon respawns after 6 minutes (i.e. don't bother wardring dragon within 3 minutse of its death unless you want to ward river for ganking purposes). Knowing respawn times helps you plan your jungle route a bit more efficiently. And if you're jungling against someone else, you can try to grab ward their blue at 6 min and then gank him when he goes for the respawn. Stuff like that.

You would definitely be able to start jngling with some tier 3 runes. The reason i wasn't suggesting it over another jungler is that slow jungles -> slow ganks, and a key role in junglers is ganking lanes, giving your team an advantage even before team fights start. Letting someone else jungle will be better for your team overall (level faster) and hopefully lead to more ganks too. Amumu's alright at ganking, depending on how good you are at landing bandage toss and how good the other team is at avoiding skillshots. But he's nothing compared to shaco or rammus for speed OR ganking ability, for example. However, with no other jungler, I see no reason not to jungle with amumu if you want.

MrAron

02-06-2011

Yay a long explanatory post!
I have played Rammus and ended up quite well usually, but i feel Amumu is by far the better choice for the team as a whole. So I'll stick with Amumu for now. Got almost 9k IP now, hopefully it will be enough for all the runes. As for ganking after lizard, surely I will try but amumu doesn't imo have the damage output to be too succesful at that. The stun will help though

But, if we have a good start and they aren't needing me at the lanes, should i go for dragon and the opponent's jungle too or would it be more effective to grab a few kills/assists and stay in our jungle instead?

And last question, when should i generally stop jungling and get stuck in?

Burbinator

02-06-2011

It's alwys more effective to get a kill/assist in lane, if you can. This LEADS to being able to do dragon. Almost no champions can solo it at a low level after dragon changes, and you'd probably do it so slowly the enemy jungler would come by and ward it before you're done and kill you. If you kill one bottom and force the other to bluepill, then the three of you can take dragon quickly hopefully before mid/jungler can respond (try to get your mid to zone them out if possible) OR force them into a 4v2 fight if they get over aggressive.

The primary benefit of being able to steal the opponent's jungle is to take their red/blue buff, no need to keep both jungles cleared constantly, just go in and take the buff when you can. (Note: if you are stealing the opponent's blue/red, be very certain you can finish it quickly before they get there, if they have another jungler). If you are facing another jungler and manage to steal a buff successfully, consider leaving 1-2 small lizards alive. The buff will not begin respawning until those are killed. Of course, if you ahve strong control of their jungle, you might as well kill everything so you can take the buff the next time too. Depends.

Also, when taking a buff, lead the golem/lizard into the bushes so that the enemy does not have sight. If you have fast aoe, you can consider kill the small lizards and then its just you and the golem in the bushes... out of vision. I've had opponents run past me juts assuming i'd already stolen it without checking :P.

As a general rule you should always be holding a lane if your teammates need to go back to heal or shop. You gain xp more quickly, without the need to expend mana or health pots, and you prevent the opponent from farming freely or pushing down your tower. The "pure jungle" phase ends about the same time as laning phase ends (that is to say, no hard and fast rule as when it stops really :P, just when teams start grouping up for pushes/larger ganks).