Jungling with Amumu, is it still possible?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MrAron

02-06-2011

Hey,
I've read a few guides that pick up the topic of jungling with Amumu. But the latest patches have apparently nerfed that a bit. I usually end up with getting like 80-ish minions all game regardless of how long the game is and keep thinking about trying to start jungling as soon as the Anivia player i co-lane with the most of the time gets better and can hold off 2 opponents alone.
So, the question: Is it still possible to jungle with Amumu and how what would be necessary for that? (im almost summoner level 19 so greater runes are hopefully a few days away)

//Sir Aron (Mr Aron on the forums but i prefer to go after my ingame name if you want to add me )

IWBTG

02-06-2011

It is still very possible. I premade a lot with one of my friends that oftens runs jungle amumu. He is level 30 tho, idc if its possible without having runes or masteries. but in a game, let the mid aggro the golem, the minion will reaggro you after he leaves.

SomniumProxy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-06-2011

Jungling is still ok, it's just a bit slower. With your level, you should be fine as long as you bring smite.

The nerf effects more the case when you get intercepted. Before you could safely proceed jungling in most cases, now an interception usually sends you back to base. If no one comes to get you, you should be fine.

MrAron

02-06-2011

@IWBTG: what do you mean with the mid aggro? should he just run in and out while i kill it?
@SomniumProxy: I'm ok with the slower part as long as it takes fairly as long time to reach lvl 6 as the sololaners (as that kind of is the point right). And im pretty sure i wont be interrupted, at least not in a while, not many have even heard about jungling at this level of play

But what runes, masteries and items (especially considering the higher prices for Doran's items) should I bring and what route is the optimal for a non-lvl 30 Amumu?

SomniumProxy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAron View Post
@IWBTG: what do you mean with the mid aggro? should he just run in and out while i kill it?
@SomniumProxy: I'm ok with the slower part as long as it takes fairly as long time to reach lvl 6 as the sololaners (as that kind of is the point right). And im pretty sure i wont be interrupted, at least not in a while, not many have even heard about jungling at this level of play

But what runes, masteries and items (especially considering the higher prices for Doran's items) should I bring and what route is the optimal for a non-lvl 30 Amumu?

About the aggro: he ment that a champion can start attacking the golem (preferably with a spell as well) and then he can run away. If you don't stop attacking the golem he will change aggro to you on his way back and won't start to heal as he usually does when he's out of combat.

Runes/masteries/items: for runes, it doesn't mattet _that_ much, but as soon as you hit level 20, try to have the 2 health quints.
masteries: you want to go full defensive at this point.
items: cloth armor and 5 health potions. You can either turn that into a heart of gold (classic build) or get razors.

note: I know I'll get a ****storm and downvotes for Amumu with razors. Well, Amumu with lantern is awesome, and it wins games @1500 elo. So yeah. It really helps to get dragon/baron early and have a better jungle control with the bonus wards and everything.

MrAron

02-06-2011

Thanks, will try it as soon as i can.
"Amumu with lantern" @1500 elo? Meaning its even more effective under that?

SomniumProxy

02-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAron View Post
Thanks, will try it as soon as i can.
"Amumu with lantern" @1500 elo? Meaning its even more effective under that?
It's always awesome, as long as your team knows how to gather up at the right time and has coordination.

basically this build gives up some survivability but wins on map awareness and jungle control. It may be less effective if your team is totally uncoodinated tho.

Burbinator

02-06-2011

Mumu is very difficult to jungle without masteries/runes. He can't solo blue without them, not even close, and without blue his jungle is pathetically slow. You should get 2-3 people helping you with blue, preferably even someone else tanking it if they have dorans shield so youcan save potions. Tell them to leave when it hits 600~ hp so when you smite it they dont take xp.

edit: i suppose it IS possible for mumu to solo, just very, very difficult and much slower than other junglers. I wouldn't recommend it in any case. It's risky.

MrAron

02-06-2011

@SomniumProxy: but is there any use of it in these low levels as there are practically no jungling or ganks in the forest anyway?
@Burbinator: what masteries and runes would you suggest then, i'm almost lvl 19 now and have saved up 7,5k - edit: no, 8,5k actually - IP to buy the runes.

Burbinator

02-06-2011

you want improved smite and all the flat damage reduction masteries you can get from defensive tree. Dodge is nice too but not as reliable. Also want to get a few points into xp mastery from utility so you level up after finishing that camp.

Want until level 20 to buy runes so you can get tier 3's. In terms of jungling, you want flat armor yellows and mix of attackspeed/arpen reds. Flat armor/dodge quints would also be better, tho i think some people would still prefer flat hp quints for actual tanking.

also lol who downvoted me without explaining? Amumu is a weak jungler, especially after MR buff to jungle creeps, and he's extremely dependent on blue buff (predictable for other team and a gank would completely disrupt him). You need all the help you can get when jungling with him.