Which Champion fits my playstyle? (:

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

umadredsbro

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-06-2011

Hey forum, I'm a new player, new to the game and quite new to very strategical games [played sc2 only]. For some reason I'm really enjoying LoL and it's draining more of my social life but ok

I think I'm a melee player, disliking skillshots etc. I'm about level 10 and saved enough for Pantheon after watching davidrty64 play him and I dare say I'm good with him, but what disappoints me is his weak HSS, which i've seen many others also complain about. I'd like to try out similar champions, but not Yi. I've played around with Yi, he's great and all and I did fine, but tbh he's very dull.
right click qwer
I guess i'm very picky but until I examined Pantheon's skills closely and also started seeing some other players use him, I found he was actually very weak unless fed, but even then he's not as good as other fed champions. I know that the point of pantheon is to go all out early game or else you've lost, but are there similar playstyle'd champions that have more balanced gaming?
It seems to me there are more ranged champions in the free rotation [which is what everybody uses in the lowbie games, the free rotation champs] and I have to choose between pantheon, the always appearing yi or try my luck by going to a champ i've never gone before.

second thought, (this is turning out to be a fairly long post, sorry) maybe it is because i am not a ranged player but a player that can get in and out of situations quickly while dealing fair damage.
such as pantheon walking up, spear shot, stun, hss, walk away (because you'll die if you don't.)
yi's speed i really liked, both his attack speed and his movement. pantheon's ulti was fun for me, I liked backdooring and picking on unsuspecting low hp pushers.

i'll just leave it at that for now.
Please try and help me out, I'm getting mixed emotions from all champions and honestly cannot seem to find a champion (from the descriptions and spotlights) that I can rely on in the long run.

Ilonaya

02-06-2011

Hello Juzzaa, I'm glad you're liking League of Legends and are willing to get more into it.

Now, as for your question; if you really like Pantheon and are a pure melee player, you may try one of the following characters:
- Pantheon (check)
- Master Yi (check)
- Tryndamere
- Garen
- Jax
- Olaf
- Renekton
- Udyr
- Xin Zhao
I can't think of any more melee champions with not too many skillshots at the moment.

Judging by the way you described your play, from that list I can recommend Tryndamere and Xin Zhao to you as first ones to try or look into. My judgment does not necessarily have to be correct however, and you're free to try whoever seems interesting.

Hope it helped a little bit.

Kind regards,

Aya.

MrAron

02-06-2011

Hey,
my first thought when seeing this thread was "yay someone who possibly can play a tank"
The truth is that during my playtime in LoL, im almost lvl 19, i have seen 2 tanks total on my side and maybe 3-4 on the opponents', not counting myself and my IRL friends that is.
A tank goes in first, (ideally) gets everyone to focus them if only for a small time, and manages to survive long enough for his teammates to do some destruction. That if anything is something anyone with any tactical sense (yes, there are players who lack that totally) could be absolutely brutal with.
Here's an example: http://www.lolbase.net/matches/view/EU83046277
Yes, matches like these don't come too often and usually you will instead end up with 20-ish assist and maybe even a negative K/D ratio but the actual help you are to your teammates is something to be proud of.
Bottom line, try a tank. Rammus, Amumu and Shen (not in any order really, they all are as good as long as you know how to play them) are the 3 champs that are really pure tanks and really good at that too.

//Sir Aron

edit: and yes, you have written that you want to get in, do damage and get out. If you really want to maintain that then skip my post and don't ask me for advice there, i suck with that types of champs

Memorylame

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-06-2011

I like IIonaya's list but would like to add Cho Gath, Sion and Kassadin to it....

umadredsbro

02-06-2011

thanks you three,
i had forgotten that before I bought pantheon, I was also very close to considering for Garen (who is also 3150 like pantheon, so it was a viable choice)
I still support garen except that I've had a friend tell me he is no longer as useful as he was previously, he has been nerfed to a somewhat useless stage where other tanks can do much better than him...
Is he still useful? What are you thoughts on Garen compared to tryndamere or something?

With aya's list I was thinking of Xin Zhao, but why have I not heard of him much? As in, nobody really talks about him? Is it because he's actually quite balanced?
For now, i will go look into xin zhao and check him out more. I'm quite a peer-affected person, so people shouting "tryndamere op qq" is putting me off choosing him...

edit: also thinking about sion, but again, i like to be a bit on the quicker side of things and he doesn't seem very agile

Scarbutt

02-06-2011

I've been using Olaf as a tank, but in some matches, my team didn't help.

Since i started, i mostly play with melee, and my favorites are:

Olaf
Renekton
Nasus
Master Yi

Ramune

02-07-2011

if you like dealing damage and getting out safely then I think kassadin would be a great idea for you, renektons pretty good at it too.
with olaf and xin zhao you usually stick around for the entirety of the fight with lifesteal and damage mitigations.
other characters that I suppose might work for you would be irelia, and maybe nidalee. human form nid might help you to get more used to being ranged, while being able to turn into your cougar form and go melee and get out quick again.
just my 2 cents gl and I hope you continue to enjoy LoL

Frosty716

02-07-2011

I own almost every champion, and I must say, the most fun melee champion for me to play is Singed. He's such an a$$hole, fun to play, not fun to play against.

Scarbutt

02-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty716 View Post
I own almost every champion, and I must say, the most fun melee champion for me to play is Singed. He's such an a$$hole, fun to play, not fun to play against.
I only find him annoying with a melee champ, if i'm using a ranged, he isn't a problem

Dugoth

02-07-2011

A good singed shouldn't have problem with ranged (only ones i can think of that could prevent him from destroying them are Ashe(with some decent as ad and kiting) and Lux (due to the 2x cc abilities) even then if singed has cleanse/ghost or ghost/flash and his ult avail nothing should be able to stay out of his goodness (along with 3speed boots)

But for you op i'd suggest Trynd or if you want a Tanky powerhouse Amumu/singed (AP + tank gear = destroy with those two i'm 28 and have done many games like in the link above with both of them it just takes the right build and skill)