Ryze as of 1/19/10

123
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

zastrozzi

Member

01-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumex View Post
if you can get kills.
That there is the reason that I don't go for Mejai's. As a general rule of thumb, I tend to get at least 3 times as many assists as kills, and that means Mejai's takes a while to build.

Also, there is the question of the Leviathan, which I actually quite like. If I'm not doing well enough to get a Rod of Ages in the first 10-12 minutes of the game, I'd rather not invest in a Catalyst, and the Leviathan is a decent alternative. I'm much more likely to take it and use it as my only source of HP and then stack AP items than vice versa.

Why not take both? Because people are jerks and you WILL get ganked if they see you trotting around with multiple snowball items. At least with one snowball item, you still have 5 slots of things that will be good after you die.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Grinningsphinx

Senior Member

01-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by zastrozzi View Post
That there is the reason that I don't go for Mejai's. As a general rule of thumb, I tend to get at least 3 times as many assists as kills, and that means Mejai's takes a while to build.

Also, there is the question of the Leviathan, which I actually quite like. If I'm not doing well enough to get a Rod of Ages in the first 10-12 minutes of the game, I'd rather not invest in a Catalyst, and the Leviathan is a decent alternative. I'm much more likely to take it and use it as my only source of HP and then stack AP items than vice versa.

Why not take both? Because people are jerks and you WILL get ganked if they see you trotting around with multiple snowball items. At least with one snowball item, you still have 5 slots of things that will be good after you die.


Also be aware that Mejjaj was nerfed during the last hotfix from 10 to 8. I dont like the unreliability of the snowball stuff.

Merc treads are still bootspeed 2 no? Is the extra MR and CC redux really that good? Maybe i should go swiftness and try kiting more?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

zastrozzi

Member

01-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinningsphinx View Post
Also be aware that Mejjaj was nerfed during the last hotfix from 10 to 8. I dont like the unreliability of the snowball stuff.

Merc treads are still bootspeed 2 no? Is the extra MR and CC redux really that good? Maybe i should go swiftness and try kiting more?
Short answer? Yes, they are that good.

avoiding 1/3 of incoming CC is absolutely golden. if nothing else, it means that you can pwn Veigar, as his stun won't last long enough for you to get hit with the meteor. Ending DoT CC early also means you are taking less damage. Mercury's Treads mess with so many champion's flow that they are almost always worth taking.

Look at it this way: if two Ryze-s face off against one another, one with MT and the other with Sorcerer's boots, the MT Ryze will ALWAYS WIN. Not only do the SB not have enough magic pen to negate the MR on MT (too many acronyms, I know), but the fact is that level 5 Rune Prison will only get 4 ticks instead of 6.

I haven't experimented with boots of swiftness too much, but there hasn't been a game so far that didn't have an enemy who's DPS was hurt by MT.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Solution Nine

Member

01-24-2010

I've got a bit of a question here... I started out playing Ryze and doing a Mejai/Boots/Lich Bane build and almost always got enough stacks on Mejai to make it well worth it. I would start with Amp Tome and bui;d Mejai ASAP. I felt like it really gave me good early killing power once I got it charged up and had my Sheen as well.

Then I read some forum posts and people were saying a build like Veil/RoA, Boots, DFG, Glacial Shroud is better. I tried some more defensive/CDR builds but I find my early power is very weak when I start with Catalyst instead of building an AP item first. My burst isn't as high any more and I struggle early game sometimes.

I'm just wondering if there are some good builds that give you more early power. I'm only level 15 so so I can't get the 9% from masteries and 10%+ from runes CDR so I find with these suggested builds my power is shut down because I can't cycle through his spells repeatedly.

I also don't really know if Ryze is worth investing in as far as runes go...I hear a lot of people say he sucks when you get to a higher Elo but he is my favorite caster and I have played them all. I just love his spell style but it would suck if he just gets shut down as my Elo starts to rise.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eviant

Senior Member

01-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solution Nine View Post
I've got a bit of a question here... I started out playing Ryze and doing a Mejai/Boots/Lich Bane build and almost always got enough stacks on Mejai to make it well worth it. I would start with Amp Tome and bui;d Mejai ASAP. I felt like it really gave me good early killing power once I got it charged up and had my Sheen as well.

Then I read some forum posts and people were saying a build like Veil/RoA, Boots, DFG, Glacial Shroud is better. I tried some more defensive/CDR builds but I find my early power is very weak when I start with Catalyst instead of building an AP item first. My burst isn't as high any more and I struggle early game sometimes.
All right, first thing I'm going to say. Builds are very preferential, as playing styles vary. Use the build(s) that are best for you. If you rely on burst damage early to get those kills, to get the gold, than by all means, get the AP to start. It will really help in the long run to play your character in the most comfortable style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solution Nine View Post
I'm just wondering if there are some good builds that give you more early power. I'm only level 15 so so I can't get the 9% from masteries and 10%+ from runes CDR so I find with these suggested builds my power is shut down because I can't cycle through his spells repeatedly.
In that case, look to increase the Damage output of your Ryze, as that is easier to accomplish early game, and possibly sub some of the damage items for cooldown Items mid game.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Grinningsphinx

Senior Member

01-25-2010

Personally man, I wouldnt even play Ryze at all if it wasnt for the fact that i was lvl 30 or had a full page of CD(or whatever your using). He was the 4th toon i bought using IP...low on the list of priorities. Hes fun but you dont have an I win button combo like Annie or Fiddle.

Ryze is very mastery/rune dependent...very.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Grinningsphinx

Senior Member

02-05-2010

The new buffs to Ryze are welcome but still not enough. Ive taken to running ghost/flash or clarity/flahs, dependeng on lane mates and whether i can expect a Mana Manip or not. Spamming E is much better now!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Charmicarmicarmicat

Senior Member

02-05-2010

New clarity (once the new masteries are introduced) reduces his cooldowns by 2 seconds when used. Should allow him an instant 2nd round of spells. Just a headsup.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

blackjackz

Senior Member

02-05-2010

I actually found ryze very powerful, I can chase a mundo to death, even with him having a health pot and his lv6, still cannot escape.

I usually walk before all my teammate if there is no or weak tank. (That's if they are trustable). Not tanking, but ppl are affriad to jump on you if you do your job right.

If you play team fight and dun care about kills, storm and spam your spell, if your oppoents team stand together, they are taking around 40-60,70% off their health bar, then your team should be able to finish them (but you will die).

It is harder to score for kill shot in team fight with ryze coz overload is too slow, spell flux is faster but not so dependable. 1v1 fight, easy.

ITEMS-
boots (swiftness or others dependent on situation) and this item is very important
Rod of Ages X 2
Frozen Heart
Archangel's Staff or Banshee's Veil if opposite team has some mages
or another rod of ages
Void Staff

Spell Ignite.

My rune page majority CDR, all my mastery to offence.

I buy Sapphire Crystal and health pot early game then a few more Ruby Crystal or Sapphire Crystal and pots and work my way up for the items.

I rely heavily on Rod of Ages, it gives you hp boost, mana, the bonus 10% damage of overload from the mana, and the bonus AP boosting all spell damage.

The boot is very important coz ryze is just too slow to chase ppl around. (and run ofcourse)

*Then DO NOT spam all your spell at once, get used to a 1 sec a spell rotation and you will hardly run out of spell to cast* (ofcourse in situtation where you can kill by all means KILL)

I usually lure my enemy when enguage, just use overload to start, run back pretenting that i'm weak and easy to kill, another overload (most ppl would have only 50-60% heal left by now). Wait for CD, then rush in , activate lv 6, overload, spell flux, and he would run... keep walking beside him for 1-2 sec, rune prision. Your overload and spell flux will be ready before he can walk again, time to kill =) . If he is still alive, repeat the last step again.

*with all spell spam(and not controling your CD time), ryze can usually take down 60-70% of your target's health, amazing but not enough, coz ryze is nothing without spell. If you made that mistake, then do not run but chase your oppoent, if you run he knows you screw up, if you chase him (if he only have 30% health left he will run, if he doenst that means he eitherhas health pot, revive or some skill that recover hp, then that's where your Ignite spell comes in, do not run unless there is another enemy close by), after around 3-4 sec you will have spell to cast again. (considering you have CDR)

If you do your cool down control well, by mid game most ppl knows you can continuosly cast spell, and they did try to stay away from you.


123