The usage of Renekton

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Craegan

02-05-2011

So when i play Renekton, i tend to try to spam all the different abilities on the opponent starting off with the "W" one "which does the stunning i think" But, in the end i always tend to do hardly any damage, and tend to die easily in any 1 on 1 match-up. i have seen a fair few very good Renekton players which totally and utterly destroy oppenents. So my question is....what am i doing wrong? basically and how do you think i can improve when it comes to the usage of Renekton? i do really like his character design and all, so i would love to use him a lot. Cheers in advance.

terembura

02-05-2011

What is your item build, and which abilities you level first? I'm not a pro Renekton player but it'll certainly help answering your question.

Craegan

02-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by terembura View Post
What is your item build, and which abilities you level first? I'm not a pro Renekton player but it'll certainly help answering your question.
Well, since im quite new to Renekton, i just simply upgrade them in order of Q-W-E - Q-W-E etc and my item builds i tend to focus Doran's shield first. then the Inonian boots of Lucidity for cooldown - then work my way towards the Black Cleaver.

So generally i work towards more attack power - as someone told me renekton should not be used as a tank - and more as a Damage dealer - and maybe the guardian angel Armour at the end.

i also like to get attack speed - like at least 1 Zeal so as to be able to dish out damage a bit faster.

Burbinator

02-05-2011

I'm not a ren pro, but IMO his E is one of his less useful skills. Good for travelling distances by dashing twice in a row, so get 1 point at 4, but otherwise you want Q for sustanability or W for more damage. Just my thoughts on the matter.

After ionian boots, i highly recommend youmuu's ghostblade. This will boost your cdr to 30% and its active is one of the best for melee champions. Movespeed increase is good for chasing as a melee, and the arpen will help your skills even if you haven't yet gotten full stacks with black cleaver.

As for late game items, i am not sure what is good for ren. However, i've heard that Frozen Mallet can be useful (extremely good chasing abilities), or randuins (extra cdr and aoe slow) or sunfire (aoe damage stacking with your ult). Don't forget about magic resist items if you need them, of course.

terembura

02-05-2011

Renekton is a 'heavy' melee dps champion, that have lots of abilities which deal physical damage. So you need the following stats:

- Armor Penetration (this increase the damage of your abilities more then damage items could)
- Movement speed (you need to reach your target fast, and the faster you move, the less attacks you'll miss while chasing)
- Survivability: Health/Armor/Magic Resist (you must stay in battle as long as possible)

The following items are good in most cases:

- Ghostblade (Armor Penetration, Movement Speed, and damage criritcal chance and attack speed as a bonus)
- Sunfire Cape (Periodical damage and lots of armor and health)
- Nature's swiftness (Movement speed and lots of Magic Resist)
- Mercury's threads (CC duration reduction)

Craegan

02-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by terembura View Post
Renekton is a 'heavy' melee dps champion, that have lots of abilities which deal physical damage. So you need the following stats:

- Armor Penetration (this increase the damage of your abilities more then damage items could)
- Movement speed (you need to reach your target fast, and the faster you move, the less attacks you'll miss while chasing)
- Survivability: Health/Armor/Magic Resist (you must stay in battle as long as possible)

The following items are good in most cases:

- Ghostblade (Armor Penetration, Movement Speed, and damage criritcal chance and attack speed as a bonus)
- Sunfire Cape (Periodical damage and lots of armor and health)
- Nature's swiftness (Movement speed and lots of Magic Resist)
- Mercury's threads (CC duration reduction)
ah okay - then wouldn't Attack speed also help in that. u can attack faster, therefore do more damage over a shorter period of time?

terembura

02-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craegan View Post
ah okay - then wouldn't Attack speed also help in that. u can attack faster, therefore do more damage over a shorter period of time?
Yes attack speed definitely increase you damage output, but the rule of thumb is that attack damage first, attack speed second. That's because attack speed items are not that cost effective until you can increase your attack damage by a greater amount.

I'd recommend not to buy any additional attack speed items until you buy the ghostblade (or some other attack damage / armor penetration item) and buy enough survivability. You won't be able to use your increased autoattack damage if you have to leave the fight after 3 seconds.

joshiez

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-05-2011

I haven't seen Last Whisper mentioned yet... LW+Ionian Boots are both *amazing* on Ren.

OutlawClyde

02-06-2011

I usuallygo like this

Dorans blade
Boot of lucidity
Brutalizer
Thornmail
Turn Brutalizer into ghostblade
Phantom dancer
Sell Dorans blade get guardian angel

Works ok for me so far if the magic heavy ill get force of nature instead of thornmail

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

02-06-2011

Considering he already has a % reduction ability, I don't see the need for % penetration; I would focus on flat pen and reduction items if you're going that route.