Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Caits traps are useless

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CJGoomba

02-05-2011

Quote:
kwjnfkjsdg:
actually use the champ before you knock it because you sound like an idiot.

caitlyn's traps are incredibly useful..what more can be said about an ability that has the utility of teemo shrooms with less cooldown, less mana, long range, AND can be used and spammed during laning/ganking phase?
1. they can be used to defend a tower, as enemies know better than stepping on the trap within tower range.
2. you can lay them down in a pre-fight, to make enemies harass you less, and when the fight starts, they'll have to be careful since stepping on the trap is essentially a 1 second snare.
3. they can be used as wards. early game, check bushes, prevent ganks. late game, ward dragon and baron.
4. chasing tool. when chasing someone, propel yourself forward with your net, set a trap ahead of them, and often they'll be panicking too much to avoid it, run into it, and you just got an extra second to completely close the gap and deal damage.

caitlyn's traps are for utility not for damage. clearly if you have used caitlyn like u say you do you'd know this. and the ability you suggested is completely and utterly OP.

Free wards? ysplzkthx.

Shagrarz

02-05-2011

Another great use for her traps during the late game, is to put one of them in your teams escape route. When people are chasing, they often will not see it, and you and your team will have have some extra time to fall back.

Or if someone pops their zhonya's, place your trap right on them. This will make them pop your trap as soon as they get out, which will take them out of the teamfight for an extra second. Which is pretty baller.

Shagrarz

02-05-2011

Quote:
kwjnfkjsdg:
actually use the champ before you knock it because you sound like an idiot.

caitlyn's traps are incredibly useful..what more can be said about an ability that has the utility of teemo shrooms with less cooldown, less mana, long range, AND can be used and spammed during laning/ganking phase?
1. they can be used to defend a tower, as enemies know better than stepping on the trap within tower range.
2. you can lay them down in a pre-fight, to make enemies harass you less, and when the fight starts, they'll have to be careful since stepping on the trap is essentially a 1 second snare.
3. they can be used as wards. early game, check bushes, prevent ganks. late game, ward dragon and baron.
4. chasing tool. when chasing someone, propel yourself forward with your net, set a trap ahead of them, and often they'll be panicking too much to avoid it, run into it, and you just got an extra second to completely close the gap and deal damage.

caitlyn's traps are for utility not for damage. clearly if you have used caitlyn like u say you do you'd know this. and the ability you suggested is completely and utterly OP.

They don't reveal the area around them for more than a few seconds. So:
-Bushchecking? Use them.
-Preventing mid ganks is hit and miss. Literally. If they hit it, you are saved. If they don't, you will have to 'e' out of it. Cait's nearly ungankable as it is, even if you don't put your traps off to the side.
-Warding Baron? Debatable. Unless you put both traps down, more than likely they won't get sprung at Baron because of the size of the entrance. So at most you might get lucky and see one spring your trap.

BadgerDrool

02-05-2011

The real issue with her traps is that to exploit an enemy stepping on them you need to be close to the trap when the hit it. Otherwise they just sorta go "Hey enemy over here, here's sight for a little bit"

I mean you get lucky sometimes and someone steps in one on the way to a gank and you now know of the gank attempt. However that's hardly reliable.

The most reliable thing is a bad player stepping on them within Q range and you punishing them for it with more damage.

Personally I think the trap triggering needs to give Caitlyn herself something. They can be hard enough to land and really mana intensive to try to keep in solid positions as is. Mana to Caitlyn, a buff of some sort (movement, damage, can attack target from greater range), fill her passive, reset cooldown of net/trap, or something.

As it stands putting a lot of effort early game to try to keep solid trap positions eats your mana far quicker then she can handle it. If you don't have a solid amount of mana in reserve you can't escape, nor can you ultimate if an opportunity presents itself.

Cenerae

02-05-2011

Don't aim to get people to walk onto your traps. Aim to get them to NOT walk onto your traps. You know and they know that if they stand on your traps they get rooted and you will pop them in the face with a Q and an autoattack or two. So they won't trigger them (unless they're stupid).

This means you can use your traps to control where the enemy is going to move. If you've got 2 traps close to one another in an area of the lane, you've created a zone where the enemy's going to be unwilling to be near. When you shoot your Q at them, they'll not dodge toward your trap after all (again, unless they're stupid).

You can also use them for brush control if you're laning top or bottom, much in the same way nobody really wants to go checking the brush for Teemo mushrooms or lurking Garen players. If you have a trap or two in there and they accidentally step on it they get murdered. Control established.

So mostly you're using them for mindgames rather than the actual effects themselves. In teamfights you can use them effectively to either pre-emptively set up an escape route, or to discourage enemies from chasing you. Push come to shove you can just pause in a random brush you pass to drop a trap and keep on running. It's pretty likely they're going to blunder in after you and give you a clean getaway.

Cait's traps are great. You just have to stop trying to compare them to Nidalee and Teemo's traps because they don't work like Nidalee or Teemo's traps. They synergise perfectly with Caitlyn's long-range theme by helping her keep people at bay so she can shoot them more.

eric the blue

02-05-2011

the best thing about her traps is that she can set them from a long distance-so try placing them RIGHT at the enemy's feet! he will have to move (giving you a free normal attack) or get trapped!

ForeverLaxx

02-05-2011

I honestly think the only thing holding her traps back is the hard-limit of two. Teemo doesn't have this, Nid doesn't have this, and Shaco doesn't have it. The only thing holding these similar abilities back are their duration to recharge ratios. Since Caitlyn can only ever have two active, if you're moving your traps around for the most current opportune spot, any utility you were trying to provide by "warding" certain areas is lost.

In fact, their 4 minute duration is almost meaningless because you're constantly destroying one to place another to guard your current location. I don't think a trap limit, or at least such a tiny limit, is really warranted. It just stinks of "different for the sake of being different".

Wisewind

02-06-2011

I usually place them to pressure turret huggers, cuts off their movevement and should they step on it reward them with a peacemaker shot

M4nTiCoR3

02-06-2011

Really good advice, I think i agree with everyone who contributed. I find myself using all the tactics mentioned when i play with Cait.

Quote:
I honestly think the only thing holding her traps back is the hard-limit of two.

^^^ This! I totally agree with this statement, and feel it would make using her traps so much more effective. If they ever do decided to give her a buff, this could be the single best one i can think of. I would be happy to sign a petition for this if some wants to make a thread in the suggestion forum. If not i may do it myself. I don't care if they lowered the duration to say 3 min and gave her a 5-6 trap limit. The 2 trap limit is kinda weird for seemingly no reason, and i constantly find myself removing traps as I use her skill a lot more offensively than many.