Caits traps are useless

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dystruction

02-05-2011

So I love Cait she is well designed but at some point it looks like they got lazy.

The first problem I see with her traps is that they run off ap for some reason and are the only thing in her abilities that do.

The area that they affect is so small that you cannot even block off small entrances with them. Also unlike Nidalees they can be seen from like a mile away and thus walked around with almost no effort.

Yes they are invisible in grass but that hardly matters as you only get two of them and the cool down is so slow you rarely get enough time to set up camp to make good use of them before you have to move again.

The traps only work in one of two corner case scenarios and even then very poorly.

1 a target is running and happens to be stupid enough to try to escape Caits ulti by breaking line of sight in bushes that you happen to have been in during the last 4 minutes.

2 an enemy is coming after you in the bushes unless they are frightened by the minimal amount of damage done by the trap or the fact that you can see them they will in most circumstances continue to chase Cait who is very likely slower than them down after a short immobilize, as she tries to use 90. cal net to put some distance between her and the aggressor (only minimally effective as she has to stop to fire the net at a very very short range) unless this put you practically on top of a tower you are still dead.

Finally it seems I don't know... not thematic she is a sheriff/sniper not like a fur trader or something. What westerns or war movies were you guys watching when you decided a bear trap was something sharp shooters and law enforcement just toted around with them?

My suggestion: an alternate power that could actually be useful and thematic

Dead to Rights: Caitlyn marks a target for the next 5 minutes wile the target is within range (that should be slightly larger than ace in the hole of the same level) that target is revealed (much like Warwicks "blood scent" but for only one target and health is not an issue). Activate: Immobilizes the target of dead to rights (if they are in range) for a short amount of time and halves all healing and regeneration.

This to me seems more thematic, synergistic, useful, and versatile (as it can be used on characters you would like to avoid as well as hunt down)

/end sleep deprived rant

TatsuyaSuou

02-05-2011

"Caitlyn is useless."

Fixed. /thread

FrickingStein

02-05-2011

if they could make her traps completely invisible like Teemo's shroom and increase their duration for like 1 sec, they'd becomes much more efficient as it would allow team mates to close the distance.

SingleCell

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-05-2011

Dead to Rights: Caitlyn marks a target for the next 5 minutes wile the target is within range (that should be slightly larger than ace in the hole of the same level) that target is revealed (much like Warwicks "blood scent" but for only one target and health is not an issue). Activate: Immobilizes the target of dead to rights (if they are in range) for a short amount of time and halves all healing and regeneration.

Ya, way OP. 5 minutes to say "okay I stun you now and for fun here's a mini ignite." maybe if it had a 15 minute cooldown. in a 30 minute game that's a 6th of the game with them revealed. Maybe like...... Rightfully Dead: Caitlyn is a waste of Champ space and died, instant surrender, because your team hates you for picking her. Wait I think that's already taken by all her skills.

kwjnfkjsdg

02-05-2011

actually use the champ before you knock it because you sound like an idiot.

caitlyn's traps are incredibly useful..what more can be said about an ability that has the utility of teemo shrooms with less cooldown, less mana, long range, AND can be used and spammed during laning/ganking phase?
1. they can be used to defend a tower, as enemies know better than stepping on the trap within tower range.
2. you can lay them down in a pre-fight, to make enemies harass you less, and when the fight starts, they'll have to be careful since stepping on the trap is essentially a 1 second snare.
3. they can be used as wards. early game, check bushes, prevent ganks. late game, ward dragon and baron.
4. chasing tool. when chasing someone, propel yourself forward with your net, set a trap ahead of them, and often they'll be panicking too much to avoid it, run into it, and you just got an extra second to completely close the gap and deal damage.

caitlyn's traps are for utility not for damage. clearly if you have used caitlyn like u say you do you'd know this. and the ability you suggested is completely and utterly OP.

Addison16

02-05-2011

I like to set two traps in the bush next to the enemy wraith camp. The enemy jungler almost always passes it and is dealt 160 damage. That is enough to make them go back or at least slow them down. It works even better if you've a heim or shaco on your team.

Aessa

02-05-2011

set trap on someone who has a small cc applied to them: stuns/taunts/etc to extend the effective duration as a root for a small amount of time

Dr Jeg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-05-2011

when laning sit on your trap, melee can no longer easily gank you...

M4nTiCoR3

02-05-2011

If your using them like teemo shrooms or nid's traps or any other champs similar skill...your using them wrong. Her traps are completely unique IMO, and require a different strategy for use. They are indeed less effective on SR than TT atm, but they still have significant uses that i exploit every time i play with her. I will admit it took like 30 games to figure out her skill set and its subtle differences from other champs, but once you figure her out she is an asset to many teams.

Tips:

• [1.]Learn the timing of her traps...if you place them ahead of an enemy just right they will get caught right as it opens with little time to react. Think of it more like a skill shot that has to lead its target.

[2.]Use it in shallow brush were lots of traffic usually flows.

[3.]Use them while farming to zone out ranged champs favorite poking spots.

[4.]Use them offensively. During farming if your in the middle of a creep pack, and a melee/overly aggressive ranged is poking you up close, drop one in the middle of the creep pack where you think they will exit. They tend to miss it in all the chaos and get caught in creep aggro once snared. This works great when your backed up and they tower dive.

[5.]Speaking of towers, placing traps in the narrow gap between live and dead towers makes a nifty escape route if your running away.

[6.]Use them to help your friends escape. If your close enough to a friend thats being chased, drop one in their escape path. Even if the enemy doesn't get caught, they will have to go around and lose ground, possibly saving your friend.

[7.]Her skill set and strong overall early game make her a very solid choice on the TT map. You may find you have more success there and once you polish your skills can translate them to SR more effectively.

Anyone who says she is useless has not seen her rape mids tower against a competent opponent in 6 min, then proceed to set up ganks in the side lanes and help snowball and early victory. Not counting the 30 or so games it took me to figure her out, (and riot to buff her skills), I have a +W/L with her.

Most Morgana NA

02-05-2011

Caitlyn's trap is alot like a bear trap. Of course you can see it, and odds are, they won't walk into it. Fortunately, just like a bear trap, the effects of getting stuck in it, can be the difference from life and death. A champion stepping in that can kill, a well placed trap will work, and is nowhere near as useless as you claim.