Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Tips for a new Udyr player ?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ZéDoCavaco

02-04-2011

Hello,
I recently purchased Udyr and I played some 3v3s and 5v5s, and usually my frag is like "10/9/10". I get some easy fast kills, but I die a lot too.

I know he is an excellent jungler, but I am currently level 22, so I do not have all the runes (have the ones they recommend, but they are Tier 1 and some 2) and masteries, so I dont feel very confident jungling. I want to know if I should jungle even without all the runes/masteries. (I use Red AS, Yellow MR, Blue MR and 2 AS Quints, is this good ?).

Also, how should I build him ? As a Tank ? As a DPS ? Hybrid ? I do want to get some fast kills, but also have a decent amount of life so I don't easily die.

I am currently using this (http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/udyr-the-jungle-phoenix-hybrid-tank-dps-50144#chapter1) build, but I feel like I can easily die (playing as the DPS Udyr).

And since he is a great jungler (again, would like to know if it is really necessary to do the jungle, because I dont feel very confident without the Tier 3 runes and full masteries), is he only good at 5v5s ? Or can he play 3v3s ?

One last question, I know I have to practice A LOT more, but here is what I do to get kills: Bear Stance to stun, then Tiger Stance to get the kill. This gets me the kill, but as I said, I feel like I die to easily. I don't know if Phoenix is better than Tiger to get kills, and when I should use Turtle, so any little tips on when to use and which one is better would be great

Thanks a lot, all the help will be appreciated, and sorry for doing that many questions.

Amatzikahni

02-05-2011

Udyr is a jungler; you can start jungling whenever you want to pick up runes. Since you have access to T3 runes, you should be in the jungle.

I find Dodge Seals to be infinitely better than MR or MR/lvl. Quints are player choice; I prefer Health for gank insurance. Madred's Razors, Merc Treads, and HoG should always be your first three items (outside of pots/wards/etc.), and everything after that is situational. TriForce is nice if you need to go hybrid, but most games I end up initiating and staying in the frey for a long time through focus fire making my tank build work for my playstyle. FoN for the movespeed, Sunfire for the extra damage, and either build the Razors into something when you need or sell them for something else.

3v3 has an entirely different metagame than 5v5; I've hardly touched it but I can tell you that certain champs dominate like Mundo and Trynd where I would not feel confident playing Udyr without a team behind me.

Skill order for my standard Phoenix jungling: RWRE->gank, then EEEWE if you're ganking a lot or mix W+E if you're jungling a lot.
Skill order for my standard Tiger jungling: QWWE->gank, then E first and Q second if you're ganking a lot, or mix all three if you're jungling a lot.
Udyr can pretty much do whatever he wants as long as you get Turtle at level 1 or 2. Madred's Razors is amazing when you get 2-3 procs in a row while in Turtle Stance and allows for better Dragon control and faster jungling which is why you will keep it for a long time even if you eventually sell it. Some games my team just doesn't want to pull their lanes and I'm forced to jungle for a long time, and those are the games where Razor gets me farm comparable to the solo lanes.

For ganking, Ghost while in the brush and Bear as soon as you think they see you, then of course rush them for the stun + redbuff slow. If they're at least 700 units away from their tower, 1k health is easily chewed through with help from the laner. Switch to Tiger (or Phoenix if you went that route) for the passive stack and extra AS/DoT, then back to Bear for the third passive stack and another stun. Turtle when you know the kill is guaranteed and you want to lessen the tower damage (which shouldn't be much in most cases).

BRBTableFlippin

02-06-2011

play udyr as a tank. you will still pump out some nice damage, but your main objective is to bear stance, and hit their carries. Randuins and Banshees are 2 great items for udyr, also wriggles is a nice starting item because it helps you with dragon/baron/ and a bit of lifesteal.

tabiasboon

02-06-2011

for your last bit i find that tiger isnt worth (unless you got a madreds) but that dosnt mean dont use it try to get your last hit of with it but bear is more important i would go to the pheonix stance it boosts your base stats and if your able to get 4 hits in then you can probably bear again

Soupertramp

02-06-2011

I'm new to Udyr as well. I find I can jungle fine with T2 runes at level 13.

A few questions though: Do people usually play tiger or pheonix now? Is there an AP build for Udyr?

Thanks guys.

Dane Dread

02-07-2011

Really? Jungling Udyr well at 13? What's your secret?

I've tried jungling Udyr but I need some DPS assistance to take down the blue buff at level 1. I can start at the other end of the jungle but getting the blue buff before madred's is always rough. Waiting for Madred's just take too long. It just feels like I'm not quite there in the DPS and/or defense department to be an effective jungler.

What runes are you using? I haven't bothered to buy Udyr specific runes as I'm closing in on level 20 and want to save for my T2 rune purchases. I don't think I've played him in a regular match yet. If I can't jungle Udyr, I think there are other champs I can play that are stronger in the lane and I hate letting my team down because I don't know what I'm doing on a new champ.

Amatzikahni

02-07-2011

Quote:
Sergeant Sprinkl:
A few questions though: Do people usually play tiger or pheonix now? Is there an AP build for Udyr?

Tiger is for single target and Phoenix is for AoE. Both have about the same completion times for jungling, but Tiger is better with on-hit item effects where Phoenix is better for killing creep waves with its pseudo-Sunfire Cape+proc. I've gotten used to Tiger lvl 1 and not touching it for a long time because Bear is necessary for ganks and Turtle is used to survive towers/bursts then to regen on jungle creeps. There's probably a compromise somewhere but I like the early ganking/staying power.

TriForce is the primary option for a more damage-oriented build. You shouldn't be gearing full DPS because Udyr needs to survive during teamfights, so a half tank build is the least tanky you should be. FoN's added movespeed makes you even crazier but I rarely get games that last that long; as said, Randuin's and BV are better choices with Merc Treads and Razors being your first two items (upgrading Razors if you need).

Teh Heavenly

02-07-2011

I stack attack speed/LS and damage + use Phoenix and never tiger. I had some cool match with that build.