Why Are There 3 Tiers of Runes?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OKAY FIDDLE NA

02-04-2011

Getting runes below t3 is just a waste of points, which means purchasing runes before rank 30 or 20 or whenever you are able to buy t3 runes, is a waste of points. It's fun to unlock new rune slots as you level up, however.

What I propose is that there is only one tier of runes, the current t3 runes, and that you can purchase them at level 1. As you slowly unlock rune slots you can slowly buy runes to fill them with.

Villiroth

02-04-2011

Marketing, people that think it will take a long time to get to level 30 will buy the lesser runes. Then when they hit 20 a couple weeks later they think "oh ****, these T2 runes suck but I dont have enough IP to replace them all". That player will then be more likely to buy an IP boost.

Pissfer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-04-2011

Though I wouldn't mind getting rid of T2 runes, T1 runes serve the purpose of giving something like 50% of the effect for 8% of the cost (I think the effect is actually something like 56% or something, but... the point remains) which basically means that someone can easily create a full rune page for something like 2000 IP at most, probably much less.

However, I have no issues with allowing T3 runes at all levels of play. Except for this: It encourages people to buy T3 runes very early to help you, but this means that now low level accounts have to make decisions between buying runes or champs, and I don't want to force that in. I think if Riot implements something like this that they should remove T2 runes and allow the ability to "equip" top level runes at level 15 or so

OKAY FIDDLE NA

02-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pissfer View Post
I think if Riot implements something like this that they should remove T2 runes and allow the ability to "equip" top level runes at level 15 or so
I like this idea. Let new players experience the game a bit and spend points on cheap champions before purchasing runes.

Autocthon

02-04-2011

Low level accounts already have to choose... Between saving for a rune page of getting champs.

They just aren't fully aware of the DIFFERENCE the runes make if properly chosen. But with Riot trying to make runes less impactful (the Mana regen changes being a step that way) it hopefully won't much matter in the future.

Al Stump

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-05-2011

T2 runes are pointless. T1 have their place, and its best to learn through experience with runes that cost 15 IP, etc

Kodemage

Recruiter

02-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewazi View Post
Getting runes below t3 is just a waste of points[...]

What I propose is that there is only one tier of runes, the current t3 runes, and that you can purchase them at level 1. As you slowly unlock rune slots you can slowly buy runes to fill them with.
It'd be nice if you could sell back the low tier runes for a percentage of their cost. Hell I'd like to be able to delete them at the very least. I have 1 tier 1 rune and one tier 2 rune that I'll never use just taking up space in my rune book and it's annoying that there's nothing I can do to get rid of the visual clutter.

Adventchild475

02-05-2011

lol i wish i hadnt bought my t2 runes i guess ill stop going for champs for awhile

Villiroth

02-05-2011

T1 and T2 are a waste of IP, it takes away from being able to buy champs you like and makes it harder/longer to fill you page with T3 runes when you can buy them.

But as I said, its all marketing. Just like how hotdogs come in packs of 10 but the buns come in packs of 8. Its all a huge conspiracy.

Mr Pyotr

02-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodemage View Post
It'd be nice if you could sell back the low tier runes for a percentage of their cost. Hell I'd like to be able to delete them at the very least. I have 1 tier 1 rune and one tier 2 rune that I'll never use just taking up space in my rune book and it's annoying that there's nothing I can do to get rid of the visual clutter.
you can merge runes, spend 60 ip on 4 teir 1 runes and merge those 3 into a teir 2 rune, then spend 240 on 3 teir 2 runes and merge those. and you will potentially get a good teir 3 rune and it clears the clutter of low level runes. thats about all you can do afaik