how to play carry?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-20-2010

1. Creep Killing vs. Ganking
This is very situational for me. You have to carefully observe the minimap. If the enemy team have champions pushing moderately or deep into a lane, that immediately calls for a gank. Similarly, if one of your lanes got pushed but the champions are not there anymore, go in there and clear out a creep wave or two to get some quick gold.

Furthermore, get the lizard and golem buffs whenever possible. You'd be surprised how much they help.

tC 00

01-20-2010

i am indeed much better with corki than i am with twitch. (i am embarassingly bad at twitch. if you track my post history i've rageuninstalled because of inability to play him...lol)

i guess thats because with corki i can get up close because of Q skill blind then valkyrie out (which i frequently have to resort to)

i am actually inspired to play a couple rounds with corki and see how it goes now

tC 00

01-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chai View Post
1. Creep Killing vs. Ganking
This is very situational for me. You have to carefully observe the minimap. If the enemy team have champions pushing moderately or deep into a lane, that immediately calls for a gank. Similarly, if one of your lanes got pushed but the champions are not there anymore, go in there and clear out a creep wave or two to get some quick gold.

Furthermore, get the lizard and golem buffs whenever possible. You'd be surprised how much they help.
yeah but i find that if the first side towers are down and they can push deep enough for me to counter push safely then almost always the first mid tower will be down too, or a team fight is imminent, or the mid tower will go down if i have to lane switch.

i appreciate the rule of thumb though

MrSARS

01-21-2010

1. Build for critical chance
2. Critical damage in rune book
3. ????
4. PROFIT

Chai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-21-2010

2. For carries, it really depends on which Carry you are playing, as well as your teammates. Lets say you're playing like a DPS Janna like i do, i'd usually initiate the second i see that 1 or 2 heroes is a lil further from the group, because Janna has insanely high movement speed, and 2 disables. With a responsive team, you can carry and pick them off in literally 2 seconds.

I'm not experienced with other carries like Twitch, so can't really help you much there, as I really prefer champions with high mobility.

notDeAdYet

01-21-2010

i agree with that person that said your job is to clean up.
yes, your job is to clean up.
the usual timing for when to charge (for me) is when their CCs are down.
that's pretty obvious(i think) but yes, timing sometimes is really strange.
this is one of those things that you can't really "teach" but you need to experience your own pace and go in accordingly
well at least that's what i think.

Chai

01-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by notDeAdYet View Post
i agree with that person that said your job is to clean up.
yes, your job is to clean up.
the usual timing for when to charge (for me) is when their CCs are down.
that's pretty obvious(i think) but yes, timing sometimes is really strange.
this is one of those things that you can't really "teach" but you need to experience your own pace and go in accordingly
well at least that's what i think.
I completely disagree. A job as a carry is to output the most damage, and lead the team to victory. If you're just cleaning up, you're just finishing what someone else started, which is very very different from carrying.

Naje

01-21-2010

When I'm a carry I never gank. I just let my team fight the other team, and while the other team thinks I'm in bushes waiting to alpha strike/tp next to them, I'm actually destroying all their inhi's

JohnCataldo

01-22-2010

Much of the OP can only be answered with experience. Much of it depends on the enemy team and your team. The more stuns/blinds on the other team, the later you need to enter the battle. You can't afford to eat the stuns. You'll die and then your team will die. If you have Kayle who knows to bubble you, you can enter freely and start off with a couple kills and your team can clean up (even if you end up dying after, that's fine). If you've got a Banshee's Veil up, or maybe just Cleanse, maybe you can enter earlier.

Carry champs should almost never never initiate in a team fight. Ideally, you want the enemy to burn some CC, and then have your team CC an enemy and kill that player. It's rarely that simple though. The enemy CC might get you killed, or a ton of CC may end up flying at the same time and then it's a mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin Trainer View Post
When I'm a carry I never gank. I just let my team fight the other team, and while the other team thinks I'm in bushes waiting to alpha strike/tp next to them, I'm actually destroying all their inhi's
This is a useful tactic (but not all the likely to work great against good teams -- they are obviously not paying attention). But you aren't a carry here, you're a solo pusher.

Solo pushing gets you high levels and lots of money, and sometimes wins the game. But that's not carrying the team.

I think some people are confused with champions which are labeled as a "carry" and actually carrying the team. If Nunu is 14/0 and everyone else is 3/3, then Nunu IS carrying the team, even if Riot doesn't label him as a carry. I've seen nearly every champ carry the team in one game or another (even Soraca with runaway K/D).

Isaki

01-22-2010

im a carry player and here are a couple of advises on "hot to play a carry"

first of all u MUST know ur oponents so dont go for a coke while game is loading b4 game start and try to learn who has what summoner spell (specialy who has heal, ignite, exaust) , now what summoner spells shud a carry use, here is my "go smash their faces" summoner spell list

cleanse - using cleanse in my expirence is way WAY WAY important if u playing a glass canon since stun/snare = free base portal for u, a carry is not only ofencive spells, u cant pew pew ppl if ur dead :S

exaust - if u doing good players will just click their turret to dead trying to scape from u, and facing other carries is way easier if they cant hit u (and u still can since u used ur loved cleanse :> )

flash - if u considere u can use flash instead cleanse since it wont only help u to chase or escape, it can also help u to avoid getting hit by those CC missiles avoiding damage and stun/snare etc, plus when turret diving it will avoid turret from hiting u once u have smashed that turret lover

ignite - this is just for that ppl who really hate defencive spells, i dont really recomend it since i rather leave the pew pew to my equipment rather than my summoner spells but some ppl just love it

HEY THAT LIZZARD IS MINE!!!
A carry shud always get the neutral buff for a simple reason, with lizzard buff u wont need forzen mallet to secure the kill, as long as u have exaust and lizzard buff ur target will rarely run away in addition to movement reduction u have an always useful life degen effect on every hit , and golem buff is for those carries who rely on spells (CD reduction and godlike mana regain ftw!)

CHAAAAAAAAAAARGE!!!!

in team fights its normal to be the first target if ur the carry, so u gotta be sure to never jump in first, try to always gank or fight with a good tank or disabler at ur side, nothing is better than a tank willed to take the heat while u take down everyone, if u have the chance to gank a lonely targer do it and go back asap but soloing is not the way to go in this game

what shud i buy?

carries normally go for full dps or full ap builds which is not bad as long as their oponent team is newbe, in real fights 25% extra atk speed or a little bit extra magic penetration wont do the trick , im not saying those are crep items but u gotta learn what to buy in every game, and its quite simple, if there are a lot of CC just get mercury and even vanshees if its really insane CC and everythiing else on pew pew stuff and u will be able to survive enought to smash everysingle enemy in the battle field, if other team decided to spam dps then just do the same and be sure ur CC mates are there rdy to stun and snare any glass canon that apears in the screen

so basicaly playing carry isnt as easy as others think it is, u need to know ur self and ur enemy to make the right decitions, a bad decition (ive seen carries going for the tank b4 getting the caster only cuz the tank is the one in front :E), take advantage of everything u can (buffs, range, skillz etc) even the smallest advantage may bring u the victory in a fight.