Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

how to play carry?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

tC 00

01-20-2010

me: i'm lvl 30 with about 350 games played, about 20 or so more wins than losses

How the heck are you supposed to play carries? ashe, twitch, and ranged carries especially (melee carries make SLIGHTLY more sense to me). i feel like if i have an insane early game i will have an insane late game, which is obvious, but what about if i dont have an insane early game? and often i go ~7/3 with twitch in the first 20 minutes but cannot follow up in 5v5 team fights.

apart from general advice, some specific questions you could help me with:
1. how should a carry balance between creep killing and ganking?
2. how long should a carry wait after initiation to attack? if i try to attack too soon (going for their backline carries) then they are all mindful of attacking me especially the disabling tank. obviously if i attack too late / waste time on the tank that is not optimal
2b. how do i balance between attacking the tank and staying in the back vs going to the front so i can attack their carries?

Voidgolem

01-20-2010

Buy an infinity edge. Proceed to roll face across keyboard in conjunction with teammate CC.
~

Creep kill whenever a gank isn't available (generally, if they've pushed up past the river to either side and are stuck at one of your towers, is the time to start wandering in that direction. Feel free to go hide in the bush if one enemy champion in the lane is looking weak, too (though don't if there's teemo/heimer/shaco around, that can get you killed)

You do not attack the tank, that is what the tank wants you to do. Kill the carries (Or Soraka/Kayle/Taric/Jerk with Summoner Heal) first.

Do not wait too soon after an initiation to gank. Nothing pisses off an initiator more than dying because the real firepower never showed up after s/he did her trick.

JunkRamen

01-20-2010

People will say "right click and win" and other stuff but I have issues adapting to playing a carry too. There might be slightly less micro involved but since your survival is extremely important, it's hard to find a balance between "pwn" or "run."

SpamsLaugh

01-20-2010

Carries are all about farming early game and knowing when to initiate or when not to initiate. This is crucial for all carries.

Playing any other role is easier because you're used to playing that role, but the carry's role isn't to draw fire or stun - it's to clean up.

I played Kat a few times since the nerf and it's easy as long as you know when to go in. Now if you're playing a carry on a team of carries or without a tank or a kayle you might be in trouble.

To me ranged carries are a thousand times easier than melee carries. Manage your mana and focus on farming and making people pay for stopping your farming. If you're owning mid go gank, if you're ashe you don't even have to leave your lane just let your teammates know where and when you're going to arrow.

Ashe used to be so easy to use but I don't know now with so many Udyr and Poppys running around. If they come at you just pop volley and if that doesn't work arrow to get away. Arrow and volley alone are worth playing ashe. Too bad she's boring!

tC 00

01-20-2010

quote "Playing any other role is easier because you're used to playing that role, but the carry's role isn't to draw fire or stun - it's to clean up."

interesting.. when I play a melee carry (other than tryndamere who can tank for a good 10 seconds or pretty much the entire fight) like yi i am very careful about when to go in. of course if i am a fed yi i can charge 1v3 and kill everyone with lifesteal but that doesnt work against good teams.

for example, in a match vs a well fed twitch, i basically did nothing until twitch unstealthed, then i Q+E+R'd in... i guess it worked since we won the match, but my KDR was about 9/9/12, and i think a truly effective carry needs a better ratio than that

playing a ranged carry, i kind of feel like they need to contribute more sooner because of their relative safety

tC 00

01-20-2010

another example of my troubles:

playing ashe i got a record of 5/0/14. pretty decent, except when you consider the enemy team was pretty much trash and my teammates records were around 14/3, 14/3, 2/3, 2/3. and the 14s weren't carries (i think one was nunu)

Shatterlight

01-20-2010

The Ashe on my team gets scores like that fairly often. I don't consider Ashe a pure killer carry, like Tristana, but more of a hunter. Other carries have little to no CC and are about pumping out damage, Ashe has slow and stun and makes a great ganker due to that. Her damage is good, but from what I have SEEN (I don't play her myself), she seems more assist oriented. That doesn't make her bad, she just isn't as carryish as Yi or Tristana. As a teammate, she seems similar to Twisted Fate with less map control.

Also, for Nunu, against a bad team, Absolute Zero will pwn. He probably was getting double or triple kills whenever it was up.

If you want better ratios, I'd suggest Tristana, Twitch, or Corki if you are really good. If you want to stick with Ashe, 5-0-14 sounds great to me. Just remember it isn't ALL about the ratios. The worst player on your team can get the best ratio.

Sourdough

01-20-2010

Ashe is more assist to me too. Until you can get the infinity edge it's not so easy to finish people. Running away needs to be done early. Once Udyr hits you once you are usually screwed, even if you're tower hugging. Same with Poppy.

Beegly Boogs

01-20-2010

Quote:
Khimaera:
The Ashe on my team gets scores like that fairly often. I don't consider Ashe a pure killer carry, like Tristana, but more of a hunter. Other carries have little to no CC and are about pumping out damage, Ashe has slow and stun and makes a great ganker due to that. Her damage is good, but from what I have SEEN (I don't play her myself), she seems more assist oriented. That doesn't make her bad, she just isn't as carryish as Yi or Tristana. As a teammate, she seems similar to Twisted Fate with less map control.

Also, for Nunu, against a bad team, Absolute Zero will pwn. He probably was getting double or triple kills whenever it was up.

If you want better ratios, I'd suggest Tristana, Twitch, or Corki if you are really good. If you want to stick with Ashe, 5-0-14 sounds great to me. Just remember it isn't ALL about the ratios. The worst player on your team can get the best ratio.

I wouldn't recommend Trist for better kills. I usually end up with more assists than kills as her for some reason.

If you want kills do corki or Twitch for ranged IMO.

Kaoculus

01-20-2010

instead of that exhaust or flash, stick in a teleport and tp in on shaco's jitbs or teemo's shrooms. be a constant threat by always being there.