Proving Grounds Feb. 5th Rosters

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

R66Y

02-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpsychedelico View Post
Hey R66Y, I don't know if I'll be there yet. But more importantly, I don't have a mic. If that will be a problem in mentoring, you can count me out. I would not mind being part of the mentor battles when they happen though.
I'll leave you in right now, and jump in in your place if you can't make it. Mic helps, but you can always type stuff out. Plus, there will be another mentor in the game.

R66Y

02-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbinator View Post
Okay, sure and thank you =)

just checking, purpose of these games would be for veterans to play support right?

oh, and what's the level bracket for these games? Dont want to be runed/masteried up if i'm not supposed to :P
Use runes / masteries. We only had one player below 10, most are in the mid teens to low 20s. IF they aren't already seeing people ion their games with full rune pages and masteries, they will be shortly.

Mentors can play carries if they want, but I'd suggest building around the new players so they can play the champs they are interested in. I'd prefer it if mentors lane against each other, but realize this may not always happen. Main thing to keep in mind is that we are trying to teach players, not play a game of who has the better smurf (because that is both discouraging to the new guys and I KNOW I'll lose that game). I'm not going to say to hold back because it's important for people to occasionally make mistakes, that's how we learn, but at the same time, you might want to run someone who isn't your main. It's a bit of a fine line tbh.

Stillhart

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by R66Y View Post
Mentors can play carries if they want, but I'd suggest building around the new players so they can play the champs they are interested in. I'd prefer it if mentors lane against each other, but realize this may not always happen. Main thing to keep in mind is that we are trying to teach players, not play a game of who has the better smurf (because that is both discouraging to the new guys and I KNOW I'll lose that game). I'm not going to say to hold back because it's important for people to occasionally make mistakes, that's how we learn, but at the same time, you might want to run someone who isn't your main. It's a bit of a fine line tbh.
This is a good idea. Build around the team and play someone who isn't your main. In fact, play someone you're bad with. That way, everyone is learning a little something, even the mentors.

After all, the basics are very champion independent for the most part (barring role-related things like positioning, etc).

Shoukaku

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-03-2011

I'll play if there's an opening.

A LowRatedPlayer

02-04-2011

no jung/ what if one of the non-veteran players wants to jungle?

SomniumProxy

02-04-2011

Please confirm that 6 pm is GMT -5

R66Y

02-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphira17 View Post
no jung/ what if one of the non-veteran players wants to jungle?
New player can jungle.

Reason behind not allowing mentors to jungle is 2-fold
  • You either end up with one mentor in the jungle and the other likely trying to hold the 1v2 lane, in which case they aren't in lane with the new guys and have a harder time giving feedback, or you've got a new player trying to hold a 1v2, again there is an issue of lack of feedback and the potential to put the new player into a very bad position if one of his opponents across from him is a mentor
  • Snowball chance is too high. I'm confident that, playing a jungle, I could get some easy early kills on new players and snowball from there, and I know that plenty of mentors are a heck of a lot better than I am. The skill/level disparity can quickly become glaringly obvious.
All that said, new players are welcome to jungle. I don't want to remove it from the game entirely, because learning how to counter a jungle or work with a jungle effectively is important. I do plan, probably in a few months when we have had a number of new players "graduate" to level 30, trying to organize "Veteran's Fields", as a continuation of Proving Grounds, where level 30's who are either mentors or former new players can play with an eye towards improving/learning. Once/If we get to that stage, it'll be no holds barred in terms of strats and tactics, as everyone will be 30 and have at least a moderate number of games under their belt.

R66Y

02-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomniumProxy View Post
Please confirm that 6 pm is GMT -5
Confirmed

I may throw up a poll shortly here asking about times people are available, as I realize it still god awful early for you SP. May be able to either bump it to later in the evening so it's Sunday morning for ya.

Myrrar

02-04-2011

I'm level 13 and would love to be a part of this. Sorry for late notice. I should be around at 6 PM

ryzeonline

02-04-2011

Wiiiiiiicked! So. Psyched, sounds fantastic. Thanks again for organizing this!

(And P.S. no Oneiro in the games? Pffft! <grin>)