AP/DPS Shen...holy sh-

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

kwjnfkjsdg

02-03-2011

i've been playing my own little hybrid-ish Shen build the past few games, and won 3/5 of them. considering i've never played shen before it's alright.

i usually call mid and start out with an Amplifying Tome and a pot (i rarely even use it), then:
Sheen
Ionian Boots
Lichbane
Giant's Belt
Rabadon's Deathcap
Guinsoo's Rageblade
Rylai's Scepter

This build turns Shen into a MONSTER. with my masteries, runes, and boots, Vorpal Blade has under 2 second cooldown. meaning I have a 1.6 second cd spammable 500 damage nuke
and with lichbane i can go total AD ezreal on their asses with Q>attack>Q>attack.
basic tactic is taunt>feint>vorpal blade>autoattack (proc'd by Ki strike and lichbane)>ignite. full combo does 1000+ damage on the spot, with a 500+ health shield to protect me while teammates finish them off.

and as i said, i ALWAYS call mid. with Q's low cooldown i can last hit almost every creep. and if i need to replenish health, i Q>feint>autoattack 1-2x to finish off minion. this way i can take out a mage creep, replenish 100+ health, and shrug off enemy aggro with feint. shadow dash allows me to escape ganks, and i can gank lanes easilly as i can ult to a partner in a bush.

i get a deathfire grasp if my team lacks a strong DPS/nuke to take advantage of my taunt. and i might get a doran's shield after boots if the enemy mid is a strong harasser, like sivir.

i now see why shen is banned so often in ranked games. o_o

feedback? is this build gimmicky? is this bullsh*t? should i add a little more AD in there to increase my burst?

Burbinator

02-03-2011

gimmicky

he's banned for his ability to tank, not dps

CrazyGoNuts

02-03-2011

interesting but how do you get farmed for that? he's not exactly the best farmer early game, and that build doesn't look like it gets going till after you have a ton of cash.

Burbinator

02-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyGoNuts View Post
interesting but how do you get farmed for that? he's not exactly the best farmer early game, and that build doesn't look like it gets going till after you have a ton of cash.
i could see this working in normal games. Shen's not bad at last hitting (probably best laner out of the "main" tanks) kistrike/vorpal blades. Shen actually has pretty decent damage early game with his base damage from vorpal and ki strike, adding sheen on top of that would be enough to get your burst to decent levels. Dunno why the guy went lich bane though, without any other AP you're actually lowering your total burst for more gold....

kwjnfkjsdg

02-03-2011

shen is actually an amazing farmer.
early game - vorpal blade makes last hitting VERY easy. although the creeps are usually on my end of the lane (i play shen mid), since i'm melee and enemies are typically ranged, i typically have more minion kills than they do simply b/c vorpal blade allows me to last hit on average 4/6 creeps per wave.

mid game - he generally farms off assists, and champ kills. i already have my LB at this point, meaning i still put out decent burst, and my taunt nets me many assists. but overall , the going's pretty slow.

mid-late game - i can 1 hit minions with vorpal blade>attack, and with the low cooldown, i can do this combo on every creep.

in general, i try to farm as much as i can, and take every opportunity to clear a few creep waves and kill some jungle monsters. of course, i give priority to tryndameres, yi's, or trists if there's a farming opportunity.

edit: i go lichbane for the extra chunk of AP and the extra movement speed, which is CRUCIAL for chasing. the extra MR is icing on top of the cake, and i'm really only wasting 400g on the mana for the sapphire crystal, but it's worth it.

Kytora

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-03-2011

Nice point of view at shen (:
I see the vorpal nukes, ult and feint potential but the problem with this is the fact that after 2 seconds of feint, you will be bursted down quite quick without any armor or mdef. D:

Larson McMurphy

02-03-2011

Why on earth would you rush lichbane? You realize that if you don't have any other sources of AP you'll be doing less damage with lichbane than with just sheen right?

Also, Shen is one of the best tanks in the game. Try it out.

Kytora

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larson McMurphy View Post
Why on earth would you rush lichbane? You realize that if you don't have any other sources of AP you'll be doing less damage with lichbane than with just sheen right?

Also, Shen is one of the best tanks in the game. Try it out.
True say.

I think his point was to test out a dps shen with a mix of AP though not a tank. Just a new perspective at things. I agree on your point about lich banes rush however. It'll be quite useless without a decent pool of AP.

Yellow Jester

02-03-2011

Yay a lich bane rusher I love free kills.

FaerellG

02-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwjnfkjsdg View Post
shen is actually an amazing farmer.
That's actually not true. Shen is great at Last Hitting...which is different than Farming.

People who are good at farming...lets try Sivir, Corki, and Morgana for starters...you know...people who have AoE.

Last Hitting- the act of getting last hits (and thus gold) from minion kills.
Farming- the ability to destroy tons of minions quickly.

Though admittedly, I've considered going for AS items like Rageblade on typical tank-Shen before. The idea being that if they have lots of DPS characters, my Ki-strike will finish cooldown faster than my normal attack speed can keep up with. Can you imagine shen taunting 4 people on their team, and landing 3-4 Ki-strikes in a row on their carry? Probably won't kill, but it will make it very easy for your team to finish off their carry.