[Zilean] Lend some advice?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CJGoomba

02-03-2011

Lately Zilean has been my main, around 100 games played so far and I've read a few builds / strategies etc; but I find that my build is quite different and I win 4/5 games. Now I'm not sure if this is because the players I'm playing against just aren't good or if I'm just lucking out.

My items [in build order]:
1] Meki Pendant
2] Boots of Speed
3] Amplifying Tome
4] Boots of Lucidity
5] Fiendish Codex
6] Meki Pendant
7] Amplifying Tome
8] Kages Lucky Pick
9] Tear of the Goddess
10] Amplifying Tome
11] Soulstealer
12] Deathfire Grasp
13] Archangels Staff
14] Sheen
15] Lichbane

That's typically how my build order runs, it's situational and depends on who I'm laning against etc. I know I'm no pro and have a lot to learn etc, so if you have any sort of criticism positive AND negative, please elaborate beyond "lol u suck."

My spec is 10/0/20 and I rune with Seals: Force, Glyphs:Celerity, Mark: Insight, Quint: Force

Please lend advice, critques etc on how I can improve for rated games.

Thanks so much!

CJGoomba

02-03-2011

Oh and I like having the massive CD amounts because of my support role, I like to chain Time Warp + Rewind over and over when my team is pushing, while chaining Time Warp I turn my already significantly reduced time on Chrono shift into only a 30 second wait. And chaining Time Bomb isn't half bad either especially without any real mana loss. But if I'm going about this wrong, fill me in please!

AutomobileX

02-03-2011

Tear Then Rod of Ages then Boots of Lucidity then Archangels then Deathcap then Glacial Shroud

Sakaron

02-03-2011

Right. I go for mana crystal with 2 hp pots first then this order

1. Tear of goddess +boots (950 G)
2. Archangels staff for my mana problem (1860)
3. Ionian boots
4.Frozen soul
5. Rabadon deathcap

Nice 10k Gold build. 3.6 CD on rewind. Spam when wanted.
also try getting your bomb up first to lvl 5, and rewind. it helps with the extra gold.

EzraTwitch

02-03-2011

The most important thing you can do in order to use Zilean effectively is to remember this.

In team fights, YOUR ULT IS NOT FOR YOU.

It is for your carry slash whoever has been most devastating against the opposing team up until the point of the team battle slash the guy who is up to his armpits in fangy-bladey doom (unless its you).
I love Zilean, but when a team fight goes down, broadly speaking your job is get your double time bombs off and ult a teammate (really after blowing your initial load ulting ANYBODY else is almost preferable to doing it to yourself.) even if its you that there focusing, its often better to ult a dps carry that just got too the fight, rather then using your R on yourself, just so you can get back up, cooldowns still not refreshed, only to die again.

Zilean is my main ap/support character, and nothing frustrates me more then seeing Zileans blowing there ults to save their own worthless hides rather then throwing it on someone else and then taking the death. Seriously think about it, whats a (great) Zilean gonna do when he gets up after getting focused down? cast haste or possibly one more time bomb. Whats a (decent)Yi gonna do after getting up, oh yea, continue to chew through the enemy team like its his job (because it is).

CJGoomba

02-03-2011

This has been a pretty useful thread so far! I hardly use the ult on myself which is apparently good practice. As for leveling up my bomb to 5 asap, I found that even if I'm dropping level 3 bombs pre-6 Im doing less damage because of the mana drain. I level 2-2-1 then take the ult. If I'm in mid then I go 2-1-3.

But you all recommend the health potions?

Hicomander

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-03-2011

I build pure AP Zilean with an Archangels staff. I disagree with the guy that said "YOUR ULT IS NOT FOR YOU", though I will say that it should not always be for you.

I think that this scenario is Hilarius: my friend likes to play Teemo, so when I play Zilean, I like to lure people into his Mushrooms, naturally. But as they are about to hit the shrooms, I like bombing the shrooms. This way, when they run into the shroom they can 'splode while they 'splode.

Alefba

02-03-2011

I'm not sure what your summoner spells are. I personally I enjoy playing with Teleport (map control) and Clarity (your teammates will love you, it helps you with mana issues as well).

I've spent a whole minute adding up your cooldown reduction, so let's see what we got going here in your build:

Ionian Boots of Lucidity: 15%
Deathfire Grasp: 15%
Masteries (3 Green, 4 Red): 9%
Total: 39%

Before runes, with this build, you're already 1% away from the 40% max. Using Cooldown/Level Glyphs in this build is a bit of a waste for that extra 1%. Since your build focuses a lot on having lots of AP on the long run to maximize your Bomb damage output as well as your Deathfire's Grasp, I suggest you replace them with Greater Glyphs of Force (+0.17 ability power per level, +3.06 ability power at level 18, 9 runes at level 18: 27.54 AP).

If you're touchy about reaching that 40%, keep 2 of those Celerity glyphs, that way they'll net you that final 1% at level 10.

Personally, I'm not crazy about using Seals for AP. With 9 Seals, you're getting 16.2 AP at level 18. Seals are usually used for keeping yourself alive, though you could also use them for mana regen (Greater Seal of Clarity: +0.1 mana regen / 5 sec. per level (+1.8 at champion level 18)). Still, if AP is critical for you, keep the runes. It's a matter of style I guess, more than anything else.

I'd usually recommend Fortitude Quintessences and/or Seals, but they got nerfed in the most recent patch.

Zilean is a support caster with a very good range on his ultimate, so you should usually keep your distance. That's why I'm not too worried about self preservation with HP, armor, MR or Ghost/Flash (that Time Warp/Rewind combo is awesome).

That's my two cents.

EDIT: Elixir of Brilliance gives a flat 10% Cooldown reduction and +20-40 Ability Power depending on your level. It should be a no brainer, and you can score your last point of CDR with it, so forget the Glyphs.

CJGoomba

02-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alefba View Post
I'm not sure what your summoner spells are. I personally I enjoy playing with Teleport (map control) and Clarity (your teammates will love you, it helps you with mana issues as well).

I've spent a whole minute adding up your cooldown reduction, so let's see what we got going here in your build:

Ionian Boots of Lucidity: 15%
Deathfire Grasp: 15%
Masteries (3 Green, 4 Red): 9%
Total: 39%

Before runes, with this build, you're already 1% away from the 40% max. Using Cooldown/Level Glyphs in this build is a bit of a waste for that extra 1%. Since your build focuses a lot on having lots of AP on the long run to maximize your Bomb damage output as well as your Deathfire's Grasp, I suggest you replace them with Greater Glyphs of Force (+0.17 ability power per level, +3.06 ability power at level 18, 9 runes at level 18: 27.54 AP).

If you're touchy about reaching that 40%, keep 2 of those Celerity glyphs, that way they'll net you that final 1% at level 10.

Personally, I'm not crazy about using Seals for AP. With 9 Seals, you're getting 16.2 AP at level 18. Seals are usually used for keeping yourself alive, though you could also use them for mana regen (Greater Seal of Clarity: +0.1 mana regen / 5 sec. per level (+1.8 at champion level 18)). Still, if AP is critical for you, keep the runes. It's a matter of style I guess, more than anything else.

I'd usually recommend Fortitude Quintessences and/or Seals, but they got nerfed in the most recent patch.

Zilean is a support caster with a very good range on his ultimate, so you should usually keep your distance. That's why I'm not too worried about self preservation with HP, armor, MR or Ghost/Flash (that Time Warp/Rewind combo is awesome).

That's my two cents.

EDIT: Elixir of Brilliance gives a flat 10% Cooldown reduction and +20-40 Ability Power depending on your level. It should be a no brainer, and you can score your last point of CDR with it, so forget the Glyphs.

Awesome advice, thank you so much! I use Ignite / Flash

knobcreek

02-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicomander View Post
But as they are about to hit the shrooms, I like bombing the shrooms. This way, when they run into the shroom they can 'splode while they 'splode.
This is awesome. Zilean is my best character for ranked play, but I've never thought of matching up with a Teemo.