What the hell am I doing wrong?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RunningTaco

01-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicosharp View Post
Best Katarina I had to play against was the other day (despite my horribly dying comps attempt to maintain fps and latency)
She went for a Doran's Shield(maybe it was blade, forgetting), and then 2 Hearts of Gold. Followed by a BF Sword. You build small items first that will increase your survivability and damage, and those items will return more gold as you survive and kill minions and enemy champs without having to leave your lane, and less worry of dying to opposing ganks.
That^^ Is my exact build with kat which I have been playing alot recently and it works wonders I turn the bf to a Bloodthrister and then strat stacking those I usually get 14ish killls and 4 deaths at the most. However I don't think this is a good way to explain to him what your trying to get across since you have to remember Kat has no mana so that is a big item concern taken away. Also every camp plays diffently like twitch whos survivability isnt based on hp or armor but on killing the enemy before they kill you.

ayanaftw

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-20-2010

map awareness is more important than a build list.

i'd suggest getting clairvoyance. when u think an enemy is somewhere that u cant see put a clairvoyance there.

it really helps, soon u'll know without using it... most of the time

the reason u should stick w/ one char is b/c then u'll know the in's and out's of that char.

u'll know when u can tower dive to kill some1 and stuff like that.

Ozsavsta

01-20-2010

Hey guys

My build? Well I play ashe and alternate volley and frost shot, then her ult when it is available. I manage to last kill about 80% of the time.

I start with the meiki Pendant since I use volley alot. Depending on how things are going its either a return to base to get chalice, or berserker boots. If things are travelling real smooth with little hassle I will wait for BF Sword so I can upgrade to Infinity Edge as soon as possible. Once I get Infinity Edge its pretty much all over after that. Takes me most of the game to get it and I rarely am able to afford much more than a chalice, berserker boots and Inf Edge. I dont really die that often either. One game was 7/1/4 with 3 tower kills. And I still only managed the above item lists and another BF sword.

Azing

01-20-2010

Ganking does get kills but simply killing enemies in your lane gives lots of gold as well. Last hitting is a big part though. In an ideal good game kills won't be flying around so item wise farming will be a key factor in determining who gets what gear and who has the advantage.

Now if your getting killed tons of times and wondering why they are so far item wise ahead... well just quit the game. Really... dieing a lot will give them items galore and would leave you so far behind.

In LoL, deaths are what determine a good player from a bad one much more then kills can.

goldemerald

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-20-2010

Obvious troll is Obvious

servedogg

01-21-2010

If you want gold, just play Sivir. There is absolutely no way you cannot get tons of last hits with this hero.

Riot aBhorsen

eSports Coordinator

01-21-2010

Oz i'd say you were lacking Attack Speed, With Ashe you have good natural crit chance. I'd say aim for Beserkers and a Malady before your IE, see how that works out for you.

Treedog

01-22-2010

try playing vieger, since his first ability forces you to get creep kills to increase your ap it will also mean your getting more gold :P, he also has a aoe which helps in gold farming

Pen15Mightier

01-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozsavsta View Post
Hey guys

My build? Well I play ashe and alternate volley and frost shot, then her ult when it is available. I manage to last kill about 80% of the time.

I start with the meiki Pendant since I use volley alot. Depending on how things are going its either a return to base to get chalice, or berserker boots. If things are travelling real smooth with little hassle I will wait for BF Sword so I can upgrade to Infinity Edge as soon as possible. Once I get Infinity Edge its pretty much all over after that. Takes me most of the game to get it and I rarely am able to afford much more than a chalice, berserker boots and Inf Edge. I dont really die that often either. One game was 7/1/4 with 3 tower kills. And I still only managed the above item lists and another BF sword.
When playing Ashe. I usually go for Plentiful Bounty first if I plan on laning. I alternate that and Volley, maybe a point into Frost Shot if I'm feeling frisky, or like harassing and just last hit for the first 5-10 minutes of the game (after minions spawn). If you are killing 80% of the minions and staying alive.

If your first item is Meki Pendant, you might try turning that into a Philospher's Stone instead of Chalice. It gives you enough regen to be effective with your abilities, and the +5g/10sec, which is quite effective if you get it early (can always sell late for last item slot if you need to). +5g/10sec items are very effective if you can pick up a couple in the first 15 minutes of the game while not dying. Late game they'll pay themselves off while still giving you their benefits while you had them.

My usual Ashe build is Meki Pendant -> Philospher's Stone -> the Blood gauntlet thing that auto-kills most creeps 15% of the time -> Beserker Greaves -> Last Whisper -> Infinity Edge -> Madred's Bloodrazor (upgrade from the auto-kill thing) -> Phantom Dancer. This works out pretty well, as you get the bonus gold from plentiful Bounty while you are auto-killing creeps, along with the +5g/10 for pretty much the entire game (I usually get it at ~4-6 mins into game). Your DPS is respectable, and you get kills / assists / gold with Ult followed by auto-attack / Volley if you are ganking with a group.

You can also pop over to Volley / auto-kill the wraith camps in the middle everytime they are up (With maxing Plentiful Bounty first and getting +5g * 4 Wraith kills = +20g from Bounty +~80g Wraiths). Getting this 100g every 1:30 sec, and killing Dragon a handful of times along with your normal killing creeps and PB bonuses you should be earning money very quickly.

Give that a try and see if you catch yourself getting more powerful items faster. Your DPS might not be quite as strong in the early game, but by mid-late game, you should have an extra tier 3 item out of the deal, along with level advantage from not dying, and should be able to dish out a lot of pain.

Vichar

01-22-2010

Actually, I had a similar problem keeping up with the gold when I first started playing this game. I think the idea of lost opportunity cost is not apparent to new players.

Think of it this way: every moment in a game of League of Legends, you're either earning gold and experience or you are not. (Yes, I know you get a tiny trickle even if you do nothing.)

Examples of things that earn you gold and experience:
-Last hitting minions.
-Killing neutral creeps in the jungle.
-Destroying towers.
-Killing enemy champions.

Examples of things that do not earn you gold:
-Moving towards a far away location, changing your mind, and having to hike all the way back.
-Waiting around in bushes to gank, and then aborting or failing the gank
-Getting killed
-Moving to push a lane back when someone else on your team is already headed that way, ahead of you. Your teammate also happens to clear creep waves fast--faster than you do.
-Waiting around in a holding pattern with the rest of your team because the enemy might attack that tower.

OK, so what can be done about these things?
- Always keep in mind your next major action. Early game, you are either pushing the lane, jungling, or ganking. Make sure you commit to each action, because changing your mind running back and forth reduces your income.
- If you are going to gank, try to estimate the odds of success before doing it. Ganking a full health tank with Flash and Cleanse is likely going to fail unless you bring your whole team.
- If you get teleport or ghost to help you get back into the lane, wait until the ability is off cooldown before you decide to warp back to base. Hiking back into the lane is a top source of lost opportunity gold for new players.
- Don't die.
- Read the map. Plant wards. "Wait, wards cost money!" you might say. Well, your whole team should be helping you. Wards help you spot enemies before they are already beating on your tower. This frees you to go jungle or push lanes, knowing that you have enough time to get back and defend if you have to.
- In terms of item builds, I tend to favor getting +damage or +AP items first because they help me farm. If I can attack faster or do more damage, then I can kill more creeps in the same amount of time. Getting defense first is not recommended--you can get it later in the game when carries start becoming scary.

I used to have trouble getting enough money and keeping up in the arms race. After I stopped dying so much and started making the best use of my time in-game, I began to be competitive with the cash flow. Some champs just don't earn enough cash, and I tend to avoid them now because I have trouble farming / killing with them.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by servedogg View Post
If you want gold, just play Sivir. There is absolutely no way you cannot get tons of last hits with this hero.
Or you can just do what this guy suggests. That works, too.