[Game Guide] Logistics, Strategy, Tactics

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bluebehir

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-06-2011

There is also other small factors.
If you are laning with a partner, and you leave your lane to assist or gank the mid lane, you are losing xp in the travel time.
However, you are gaining map awareness, and your partner still remaining in your lane is increasing his xp earnings by not having you there.
(Of course, his killing speed needs to remain substantial to make this noteworthy.)

GoSu Liquid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-06-2011

I have to say, I personally believe this should be required reading for all LoL players. Absolutely great. +1, and keep up the good work.

FaerellG

02-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisewind View Post
I wanted to expand a bit on the point of pushing lanes past the river during mid-game. What I specifically mean is clearing minion waves up till the river or mid-point of the map. Not continually pushing through, because once you push past the river you are overextended and just significantly increased the angles the enemy team can gank you.

The important thing to know is that once you clear creep waves up to the river, your minions will push forward until it either
A) encouters a champion who pushes it back or
B) reaches a tower and is cleared out

This fact is key because it puts you at an advantage in terms of forcing the enemy team to react to you. I noted in my original post that this is a prime opportunity for your team to gather and raid one of their jungles, why? Because it forces the enemy team to declare where they are.

Having all three lanes steadily pushing towards their towers forces them to split their team up to push back giving your team a flanking/ganking angle in their jungle and an opportunity to 5 man gank a lane or one of their junglers.
I definitely agree with everything said here. I think I might have worded it differently within the context of my posts, but this is very accurate. Pushing forces a reaction from your opponents and allows you to do what you please.

Actually, attacking will force or provoke an enemy response. That's sort of the tactical definition of a proper attack...An action that must be responded to by the opponent or else the opponent will suffer consequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisewind View Post
Ganking overextended lanes imo is beneficial outside of just netting a kill. While it is ideal to secure a kill it falls under forcing out the enemy champ out of the lane.

Also regardless of outcome it does give that lane a psychological advantage as well by making the enemy less aggressive and more wary of ganks.
I do need to go further into psychology. I think briefly mentioned it in the examples, but didn't really go into it. That'll be an entirely different subsection under Tactics.

Helkeren

02-07-2011

Great post, would have helped me so much if I read before level 30, still, very helpful!

Thinkdealer

02-11-2011

Fantastic guide i think this will really help me with my ranked play +over9000. The thing about how you need map awareness to make use of strength of levels and gear, and you need levels and gear to make use of map awareness was really enlightening. Never really thought of backdooring as a kind of diversion, which i guess it is, i always thought of it more as trying to take a tower than crippling an enemy push. I can see some crazy setups using this. Go send a lower lvl to farm in a lane, have your team hide in the brush and catch the few enemies that come to gank him by surpise.

Thx for the guide!

Morinav

02-11-2011

A very good read! It's refreshing to see people discuss tactics, strategy and logistics. I think a lot of really good players don't talk about these things when they're trying to give advice because they can't frame themselves in the mind of someone who does not understand the finer points of the game. More often than not high Elo players are just like, "Play AP SIon carry team huehuheuheuheuhehuehue", which doesn't help people very much.

I've been writing a guide like this myself, but much longer. In it I try to identify everything in SR, every objective, every variable, but in general terms. The goal of it is to give people the tools they need to properly identify the current state of the game and make decisions based on it that lead them to victory.

I've developed a mentality of playing LoL that revolves around securing an advantage for my team. I believe that the team with the comparative advantage over the enemy is the one most likely to win (barring luck or someone screwing up real bad). Thus, all actions I take can be boiled down to securing a comparative advantage over the enemy. This takes the form of increasing me team's advantage, or by denying the enemy an advantage.

Here's an excerpt from my guide where I identify the 11 things which I believe constitute the comparative advantage one team holds over the other

1) Team Composition vs. Enemy Team Composition: Your champion selection versus the enemy team selection. Some champions are just stronger than others in specific matchups. For instance, Tryndamere's great against a squishy team with no CC, but a terrible pick against a team with heavy CC. I'll discuss this topic in greater depth later.
2) Ability of a Player to Use Their Champion: This is a modifier for your team composition, and a very important factor that people forget. If you freeze the enemy team in place, the "ideal comp" to counter that team is going to depend very heavily on what champions the players on your team can play, and how well. Objectively, Ashe might be the best pick for your team, but in reality you might have an absolutely genius Teemo player that would be better off picking him than Ashe. It is very important for you to probe the abilities of your teammates, and figure out who they can play well. You are often better letting someone play a champion they are comfortable with who you think is bad rather than an OP champ they're not good with.
3) Teamwide Gold: The more gold your team has, the more items they can get. This is why Dragon's such a valuable objective, it gives your team a very large gold advantage over the enemy.
4) Itemization: Your items augment your champion's stats to an extreme degree. If properly chosen, they will give you an advantage over the enemy. Gold and items are highly related, since gold is basically potential items. There is a difference between having a lot of items with no gold, and having a ton of gold. In the former, you're locked into your builds, in the latter, you have the freedom to select your build.
5) Cooldowns: What skills and summoner spells your team has available.
6) Positioning: Where you are, where enemies are. For the most part, you can't fight if you're not there, and terrain can greatly impact how well you can fight. Fighting under the tower contributes greatly to your advantage. Fighting 5v3 gives you a great advantage.
7) Buffs: More buffs = more power. Pretty straight forward.
8) Structures: More towers and more inhibs is a greater advantage for your team. Less tower and inhibs is a disadvantage for the enemy team. Structures provide visibility and islands of reinforcement for your team.
9) Comparative Champion Level: Having higher level champions over the enemy will naturally give you more tactical options and power in combat.
10) Map Awareness: Knowing more than your enemy will let you make informed decisions.
11) Map Resources: What resources on the map you have available to you at the moment. If your jungle is fully stocked while the enemy's is empty, you have more resources to work with, more potential gold and experience. If the enemy's minions have pushed all the way to your towers, they have more freedom to move about the map, freedom to attack towers and better visibility than your team.

FaerellG

02-11-2011

Wow Morinav, I really like that. I'm probably going to quote you on my next update. Almost all of those things that you listed can be filed under logistical considerations cause they're all things that "you should know before hand" when entering a team fight or trying to do a hard push.