No LAN/Offline play = No major competative scene.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiceMan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Areas View Post
If your playing on a LAN tournament there won't be 1 team with a lag spike cause everybody plays on the same Riot server... >.>
So everybody on that LAN would have the same ping anyway. I don't see any problem since most big tournament LAN's have connection to internet anyway.

So unless somebody trips over the lan cable and cut's the connection I don't see any problem with the current situation....

P.S.: And no your local LAN party is not a big tournament LAN...
And with all the people on one internet connection will work perfectly? I'm pretty sure you'd need a pretty strong connection to play without lag in "LAN" tournaments.

Also, is it a bad thing people might want to have a local LAN party to play league? Having a LAN Client or option would be awesome. Have the game cache your account so it'll know who you have when your "offline". Yes, they're be people that'll probably hack it but if they do it'll only be a small portion and only for offline situations. At some point they're going to play online where they can't hack it.

Lilitu

01-20-2010

SC2 dose have LAN. You will simply need to access it through B.Net.... At least that is what I heard. I agree though, LAN is something that needs to be added before this game can ever take off.

Areas

01-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceMan View Post
And with all the people on one internet connection will work perfectly? I'm pretty sure you'd need a pretty strong connection to play without lag in "LAN" tournaments.

Also, is it a bad thing people might want to have a local LAN party to play league? Having a LAN Client or option would be awesome. Have the game cache your account so it'll know who you have when your "offline". Yes, they're be people that'll probably hack it but if they do it'll only be a small portion and only for offline situations. At some point they're going to play online where they can't hack it.

It's a 5 vs 5 game... how many players do you think will come to play it... man even my local internet connection can host 10 players no problem and that is not even a 20 mbit connection..... (Yes I tried that). Big tournaments have a strong inet connection anyway, man my local unknown lanparty even had 120 mbit connection sponsored by the local bank....
I just don't see a point in making this online slaughter game into a lan game, especially with so much competition from other games already...

SaiBot

Recruiter

01-20-2010

No need LAN, look at SC2 model, it's the best.

And lol @ the guys who says that SC2 will not be competitve. It's gonna outshine SC1 pretty fast since Kespa is really close to Blizzard.

Nerdrage

Recruiter

01-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predicted View Post
Then why is WoW a major esport?:O No lan.

What if riot made a server made for competitive play?
WoW is a terrible comparison for an Esport. That's like bottom of the barrel compared to many other games imo. Major class/composition imbalances alone make arenas laughable, not even including the flaws in an online/client based competition. Don't get me wrong though; WoW was a fun game to play while I played it, and I loved PvP/Arenas to death, but being a highly competetive Esport is not what it's doing well. I would not follow that model.

Granted, many tournaments can be held online. However, nothing of substantial worth SHOULD be. I'd love for there to be a LAN client, but I understand why they don't do it as well. Competition will still be a major thing without it, it just hurts a bit and makes it less appealing to take seriously with any kind of tournament that involves laying anything on the line if I'm playing online.

Royoken

01-20-2010

Why would you pay riot for champs and skins when you could run on my awesome free server. Where everyone was level 30, had all the champs, runes and i serve lemonade on Sundays?

RiceMan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Areas View Post
It's a 5 vs 5 game... how many players do you think will come to play it... man even my local internet connection can host 10 players no problem and that is not even a 20 mbit connection..... (Yes I tried that). Big tournaments have a strong inet connection anyway, man my local unknown lanparty even had 120 mbit connection sponsored by the local bank....
I just don't see a point in making this online slaughter game into a lan game, especially with so much competition from other games already...
Not everyone has great connections that would like to play it LAN. Also, it's still preference to have it LAN so there's little to absolutely no lag. It's not turning it into a LAN game it would be adding the feature. Having more features is a good thing for competition against other games. Even unneeded features can be seen as the developer doing it's best to cater to it's community. More effort people see with the company that runs the game the more often they'll stay because they care. If the developer shows no interest and doesn't add features they'll find one that does.

SuperStomper

01-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predicted View Post
Then why is WoW a major esport?:O No lan.

What if riot made a server made for competitive play?
Because any game with 10,000,000 players will have some form of competitive scene, even if it's pathetic in size compared to it's player base. Even Pokemon is considered a *competitive* game.

Brucebunny

01-20-2010

In a game like LoL, LAN play isn't as much necessary as say Counter-Strike. I'm not saying a LAN mode is pointless, I'm all for it. But for LoL, it is not necessary at all. Same case for WoW. - I'm speaking for a competitive standpoint which is what this thread is about. No lan mode does not = no lans/competitions.

Achenar

01-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiV3 View Post
>pirating an F2P game
made me lol

still, the game doesn't even offer the content to justify releasing an offline only version. (playing against bots, not so good)
So why not just include a pseudo lan option, where the practice game host can become real host by checking an option before making the game?
Easier to hack and use data to create custom server or what..
I have no idea how technically feasible this is, but I think it's the best solution. Force users to log in at game launch and verify their champs/etc, then allow LAN-hosted games.
Because, yeah. Last LAN my group of friends had, we would have been all over LoL if we could've played it.
I think there'll still be a decent comp scene, in the future, but a LAN-host option would make LoL events at LANs more than feasible.