No LAN/Offline play = No major competative scene.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

renticletape

01-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by EncasedShadow View Post
Starcraft 2 will not have LAN play either.
Yeah, which is why im pretty sure Starcraft 2 will kill competitive scene for starcraft because of this. I'm 99% certain SC2 will never have as large of a competitive scene that Starcraft 1 did.

renticletape

01-20-2010

Quote:
Riot is very paranoid about hackers. If there was a competition server that went to major lans, Jesse Perring would come handcuffed to it to guard it.
How would a hacker pose any threat to an offline/LAN only client? What would they hack? God mode in offline practice games? Sure thats a big issue...

EmissaryShadow

Emissary of the League

01-20-2010

Its a fine line, whats more important for Riot?
offline mode - major overhaul and hacking capability but more accessible for LANs
Online only- much more security, maybe less competition. I think the online tournament still has promise if the platform is right.

If the offline mode could be copied, people could host their own games. Pirating LoL

renticletape

01-20-2010

Quote:
Its a fine line, whats more important for Riot?
offline mode - major overhaul and hacking capability but more accessible for LANs
Online only- much more security, maybe less competition. I think the online tournament still has promise if the platform is right.

If the offline mode could be copied, people could host their own games. Pirating LoL
Online tournaments are bounded by lag, which will wreck any highly competitive play. And hacking shouldn't be an issue for an offline mode if nothing in offline mode affects your online profile. Just about every PC multiplayer game can be played through LAN, and online cheating/hacking has never been an issue because of LAN play. Infact, lan play allows someone to use cheats/mods etc without ruining the game experience for other players online because they are doing it within a contained environment.

True Bandito

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-20-2010

Quote:
80+ ping delay can impose a huge impact on professional level games.
I have 200+ ping in every game (playing from Mongolia, the place in the middle of nowhere) I play and 90% of the time I never lagged. So on-line tourneys are not gonna be a lagfest. I am eager for them.

I am also for off-line tourneys as well. In here all of the tourneys, be it DOTA, CS, or SC, are conducted in LAN. LAN battles are easier to let the common players know about LoL.

Innsmouth

01-20-2010

well i guess they could always release a special kind of server for big offline events ^_^

the diffrence between lan (5ms) and your 200 is ****ing huge.

renticletape

01-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsmouth View Post
well i guess they could always release a special kind of server for big offline events ^_^
I doubt there would ever be any "Big" events if smaller events can't even flourish. It would be more feasible for Riot to release a software package to LAN play to host on local servers than distributing server hardware. The issue would be making it available to smaller events and not just exclusively to just the big events. That is a fast way to kill a flourishing competitive player-base.

mermin

01-20-2010

adobe pays them to use air
thats the only thing i can think of that would make them use it

Areas

01-20-2010

If your playing on a LAN tournament there won't be 1 team with a lag spike cause everybody plays on the same Riot server... >.>
So everybody on that LAN would have the same ping anyway. I don't see any problem since most big tournament LAN's have connection to internet anyway.

So unless somebody trips over the lan cable and cut's the connection I don't see any problem with the current situation....

P.S.: And no your local LAN party is not a big tournament LAN...

TiV3

01-20-2010

>pirating an F2P game
made me lol

still, the game doesn't even offer the content to justify releasing an offline only version. (playing against bots, not so good)
So why not just include a pseudo lan option, where the practice game host can become real host by checking an option before making the game?
Easier to hack and use data to create custom server or what..