Why all the AD Kog'Maw hate?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AreYouReady2Die

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-03-2011

Madrid's, wit's end, hextech gunblade, frozen mallet, abyss scepter(void if mr heavy), sorc bbots is my current kog build, works pretty well, wits end is supeior to sword of divine imo, 42 damage a hit > 100 every 5 hits + MR and mana burn.

Mpen runes of course

Redenbacher

02-03-2011

I haven't tried Wit's End either, since it's buff it probably is much better.

I wouldn't use Abyssal Scepter on Kog though, you spend most of your time out of range for it's aura to be effective anyway. You'd be better off with Haunting Guise in my opinion.

THEFACEROLLER

02-03-2011

You are all wrong the kog build is as follows:

Madreds --> Malady --> Survivability.

Sorc Boots or zerker greaves.

Survivability includes Frozen mallet, and/or Bveil.

Pretty standard.

Kobu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-03-2011

Because AD sucks. Keep in mind that AD =/= autoattacking. Madreds->Malady KogMaw is NOT AD. Your damage will be almost ENTIRELY magic. That is NOT AD.

If you're building Infinity Edge, Black Cleaver, etc. Then you're doing it wrong.

sanajin

02-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobu View Post
Because AD sucks. Keep in mind that AD =/= autoattacking. Madreds->Malady KogMaw is NOT AD. Your damage will be almost ENTIRELY magic. That is NOT AD.

If you're building Infinity Edge, Black Cleaver, etc. Then you're doing it wrong.
I should've said AS/AD, as my build has been Phantom Dancer -> Infinity Edge -> whatever else is necessary.

The "you're doing it wrong" comment is exactly the kind of useless remark that brought me here for clarification, which has fortunately been provided already.

sanajin

02-03-2011

Man. Bloodrazor, Nashors Tooth, and Bio-Arcane Barrage at max level add an additional 11% of the target's health in magic damage. On a 2000 health champion that's an additional 220 magic damage per hit. Papa like.

Rebonack

02-03-2011

Bloodrazor makes your damage significantly easier to mitigate against since you're pigeon-holing yourself into more magic damage. The only synergy MBR has with Koggy's skill set is the IAS boost, and you can get that far cheaper from other sources.

Kog'maw, due to his mixed damage, is easily the most versatile ranged DPS champ in the game bar none. Is the enemy team heavy with Fighters and Tanks? Build Madred's followed by Voidstaff and shat all over them.

Does the enemy team have a surplus of smushy targets? Run Phantom Dancer and Infinity Edge. That will wipe out squishies much faster than the Madred's build does.

Of late I've been experimenting with Manamune > Dancer > Infinity Edge. Mana/Dancer has approximately the same DPS that Madred's/Phage does for about the same cost. The difference of course being the ability the shell the ever-loving **** out of the enemy team while being rather difficult to pin down. The ability to out-run your target is rather important to Kog whether you're trying to get in range for that last Ult or running for your life while making the sky fall in your foe's path.

I'll just say it. There's no best build for Koggy. Build your offensive gear based on both your team and the enemy's.

Burbinator

02-03-2011

Quote:
Bloodrazor makes your damage significantly easier to mitigate against since you're pigeon-holing yourself into more magic damage. The only synergy MBR has with Koggy's skill set is the IAS boost, and you can get that far cheaper from other sources.
If you didn't pick according to your team comp (AP vs AD) then you failed by picking kog in the first place. There are better AD champs. There is no real reason for kog to go hybrid. His q's range is too short (negating the point of your w's extra range in the first place) and nothing else he has scales with AD at all. Well, q's passive, but that's rather minor overall. Furthermore, going hybrid is bad because while it's harder for the enemy to itemize against, it's harder for you to optimize your damage. Buying BOTH arpen and mpen (and howeve ryou want to mix up your runes, i guess) is going to gimp your actual damage pretty hard. I guess you can get neither, but that's not as effctive as going straight one or the other and buying corresponding penetration.

tl;dr dont go ****ing hybrid unless your champ specifically benefits from it. If you need AD on your team comp that badly, pick someone besides kog.

Kytora

02-03-2011

Well. You CAN go hybrid in a sense. I prefer AP/AS hybrid. This maximizes both the AP ratios (although its not significant) on your skills such as "w" which benefits from this setup. I tend to switch up being AD and AP; however, I find AP to be more enjoyable because I get to snipe players with my ultimate
AD style of kog mainly clicks.. and only has 6 seconds of heavy hitting (mid~late game depending on your items and how fed you are). I hardly ever get Phantom dancers though, I usually stick with madreds and an archangels then a nashor's or frozen mallet (:

Just giving my opinion out there. thanks!

sanajin

02-03-2011

@ Rebonack: Isn't physical damage just as easy to counter as magic damage in this context? Is your point that you don't want to rely on your auto attack scaling on magic damage just like your abilities, leaving you with only one type of damage instead of two (phys from auto and magic from abilities)?
I'm even more excited about Kog now, seeing that he can take the path of a tank shredder or typical squishy assassin.

@ Burbinator: What is wrong with AS/AD Kog? PD/IE combined with W and E means a ton critical hits in a matter of seconds from massive range, with R to catch runners. Have you tried it? I've had a lot of success with it, I think you can see that on my match history right now. It's true that his abilities scale on AP ... then again so does Tristana's, and that doesn't stop most people from playing her AS/AD. Same goes for Twisted Fate, with the exception that I DO see a significant amount of players building AP.

During my Kog'Maw research I've noticed that an overwhelming majority of the players that recommend AP/AS do so vehemently, rudely, and without much explanation of why - typically citing that there are "much better AD champs" and that you're "doing it wrong" if you do not agree with them. That type of response in and of itself does not lend itself to much credibility, let alone considering that my AD/AS experience has, thus far, been excellent.

What I'm getting from all this is that Kog'Maw was an excellently designed champ (except perhaps for that Q range ... I haven't figured that out yet), and that he can be built to excel in a variety of situations.