Flat Cooldown? or Scaling CD?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JohnCataldo

01-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrawnWonton View Post
And with the scaling ones, by the time you are lvl 9-10'ish it is better than the flat ones. And by then you usually have sufficient mana pool to actually use your spells more anyways.
Flat CD runes (Focus) are better than per-level runes (Celerity) until level 14.

Greater Glyph of Focus -0.65% cooldowns
Greater Glyph of Celerity -0.05% cooldowns per level (-0.9% at champion level 18)

They are equal at level 13.

Celerity is only BETTER at level 14; up until then you've been better off with Focus.

This is one of the highest levels where per level catches up to flat, which is why flat is mostly better. Even at level 18, each run only provides -0.25% CD. Which isn't nothing, but even with 9 runes it's only -2.25% at level 18 (up to -8.1% from -5.85% with flat).

This isn't to say that flat is always better, but don't be confused.

Lightningfst

01-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarley01 View Post
I can see CD being useful on most champs, but i would probably use them the most while playing veigar or nunu. veigar especially would be nice to be able to stun faster. I dont use any CD items in my builds for those characters as far as items go, although sometimes ill get deathfire if the game lasts long enough. right now i have magic pen runes for my marks (red), and scaling AP runes for the rest. If i get scaling CD runes for my blue runes, that will give me 8.1% CDR. not sure if its entirely worth it, but still looking for opinions.
The way I look at it, for the first 20 minutes you are basically playing levels 1-13. Most games go only 25-30 minutes, with a few exceptions and most players don't get higher level than in that timeframe unless they get fed. So generally speaking scaling runes that are better at level 13+ are generally going to be better maybe 10-20% of your total playtime.

With this in mind, I would recommend non-scaling cooldown reduction runes.

Other scaling runes catch up to their static counterparts by around level 6 or so, and are worth much more consideration, but cd reduction scaling is one I would stay away from.

spreadfred

01-23-2010

if not for the cost, i'd probably go flat. many spells have shorter CD's when you level them up (blitz's pwrfist comes to mind), so early game is when you'll need the extra CDR -> get the CDR that helps the most early game.