Flat Cooldown? or Scaling CD?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Swarley01

01-19-2010

Just want to hear some responses from everyone on these runes. I realize that i wont see the same results from the scaling CD runes until level 13. They also cost half as much as the flat CD. Another thing that I have thought about is the fact that at the lower levels, my mana is also low, so it may not be as useful to be able to cast an ability faster at those lower levels. So anyways, thoughts?

Vangu

01-20-2010

Most gains from runes are really not noticeable unless you stack them. So if you don't stack CD-reduction I would say don't get it at all. But (unless they changed it) the most you can have is 40% counting masteries, runes, and in-game items. If you make a build around cd-reduction take that into mind and you can work it around the runes. I personally like to mix them but I play Soraka so I need a slight boost early so I can cast my spells that split second faster and it helps. But the reason I do static runes is mainly because I normally level slowers then everyone else so it takes me a lot longer to get to where the scaling runes would be up to par with the static ones. So really it depends on who you are playing. If you know you are going to level fast I would just go with scaling runes but if you are a slow leveler go static.

Swarley01

01-21-2010

I can see CD being useful on most champs, but i would probably use them the most while playing veigar or nunu. veigar especially would be nice to be able to stun faster. I dont use any CD items in my builds for those characters as far as items go, although sometimes ill get deathfire if the game lasts long enough. right now i have magic pen runes for my marks (red), and scaling AP runes for the rest. If i get scaling CD runes for my blue runes, that will give me 8.1% CDR. not sure if its entirely worth it, but still looking for opinions.

stimmedcows

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-21-2010

If you go flat cooldown in all 9 blue slots you will get 6%. This is enough to cap cooldowns with a 9/0/21 cooldown spec (which gives another 9%) and adding a 25% cooldown item of which the choices are frozen heart and soul shroud I think. If you run that spec it definitely doesn't make sense to do anything other than full scaling. On the other hand you can go half and half (4 flat, 4 scaling) to get close to 9% at level 18 and that allows you to go with a 0/9/21 spec instead. I think you can possibly add in a magic resist blue. That will make you tankier. I seriously wouldn't bother with full scaling runes because you might have lost the game anyway by the time they get useful, and personally I added a 5th scaling c/d instead of magic res so that the c/d maxes around level 15, even though its slightly wasted glyphing beyond that point. Its cool because I've usually won by then and its just mop up.. But I am sure if you just glyph for straight c/d there's nothing wrong with that, since it means you're more likely to be winning in the early game with your better c/d. Mid-game is where the problems really start for me, so I mix.

unentschieden

01-21-2010

Also consider that CD reductions are only a advantage if you actually use the Abilities again in the Time you "gained".
Early game often you have a 2nd, more limiting issue to Abilities: Mana. Also, for many Champions the mayor gain in CD reduction is a more frequent Ultimate - which gets available at Lvl 6 thus 5 levels of flat CD advantage are suboptimal.

JunkRamen

01-21-2010

CD redux at low levels isn't very helpful because generally you don't need to spam that much and your mana doesn't really sustain it anyway. However, the scaling runes don't really catch up until like level 9 IIRC, and that's often beyond the laning phase.

Main reason to buy scaling CDR? They're half the price.

DoomManufact

01-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkRamen View Post
CD redux at low levels isn't very helpful because generally you don't need to spam that much and your mana doesn't really sustain it anyway. However, the scaling runes don't really catch up until like level 9 IIRC, and that's often beyond the laning phase.

Main reason to buy scaling CDR? They're half the price.
Kat w/ scaling CDR is great b/c she gets amazing when her shunpo has a ridiculously low CD. As Blitzcrank I could see him getting static CDR, b/c having Static Field up as much as possible and being able to grab at any time is very nice.

Although since scaling CDR catches up @ lvl 9, personally I prefer that over a low and almost unnoticeable amount early game. Sure, half a second can mean a lot for early game ganks, but 2 seconds can mean a lot more late game.

JohnCataldo

01-22-2010

I'm a fan of the straight up blue CD runes. ~6% is what you want from runes anyway, though if you avoid getting masteries, golem, and CD items, I guess a full page of CD runes could be worthwhile on a few characters (Katarina?)

Being more powerful at level 18 doesn't make up for being less powerful for levels 1-12, in my mind.

You always play early game. You don't always play "late game". Everyone is level 1 at some point, but not level 18.

Grinningsphinx

01-22-2010

Flat CD all the way man... I play with a full page(14.82) plus the masteries and i can tell you it makes a huge difference in my harass and farming ability compared to my opposition. The down side is you have to play 21 in utility and nearly always start with a Meki to sustain..and often even a chalice. Still, chalice isnt a bad investment for anyone.

As Ashe playing with that build, ive pushed every other solo mid toon back to there tower and kept them there with Volley, and on late game pushes when we dont want to commit I can Volley spam the oppossing team at there tower for 2 minutes straight doing a steady HP drain of 175 a shot.

PrawnWonton

01-22-2010

Depends on the hero, but I find in most cases the scaling is better. Early game you don't have the spells or mana to support rapid spamming.

And with the scaling ones, by the time you are lvl 9-10'ish it is better than the flat ones. And by then you usually have sufficient mana pool to actually use your spells more anyways.

Obviously, there are exceptions, but generally, I prefer the scaling ones.