Renekton Building

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kintai

02-02-2011

Every time I see a Renekton play I can't help but see them make a myriad of mistakes in attempts to A. Completely copy Phreak's build, or B. Make a hybrid of Phreaks build. Sure, Phreak is amazing when it comes to playing LoL; however, the fact of the matter is that it is his playing style and that all games are situational. Most of the time, when I see people copy Phreak they utterly fail.

Renekton is a pure damage character, and though he can build hybrid or tank he is most effective with damage. The best way to play him is as followed.

You start off with a Doran's blade and the minute you go back you buy a Vampiric scepter and or boots. This allows more sustainability in lanes and makes you almost impossible to harass.

The items you are to build after laning/ganking (and after completing boots) are: phage and then blood thirster or blood thirster and then phage. the reason for this is that phage allows you to have a slow on top of your stun as well as the hp needed to survive longer and the attack damage for the added life steal and damage to opponents. Personally, I prefer getting blood thirster first because it allows an edge over other players and your ult should be able to sustain you with hp since it gives you massive healing and damage when popped.

After finishing these two items you should then build a black cleaver because the attack speed it gives is great for Renekton (and all that he needs) and the damage is amazing. Black cleaver also allows you to hack through tanks with no problems. The point that people need to remember is that does most of his damage through his skills, and even though this build does not incorporate much cool-down (Renekton already has low cool-down) it allows for you to do the amazing damage you are supposed to through your skills and, when your skills are down, the dps necessary for a damage character.

When black cleaver is finished, frozen mallet should be completed for the extra hp and 100% slow. This maxes out most of the survivability you need and allows for you to stay in the fray as long as needed.

The next two items you choose are mostly situational; however, I believe that the best items to choose after this build go one of the two ways: if you are having trouble surviving then build a guardians angel and then infinity edge to hit harder and survive longer. If you aren't having trouble, build infinity edge and then last whisper to rip through armor so your damage hits even harder. (Last whisper is built towards the end because the armor the team uses only really becomes a problem near the end of the game)

These are the general items Renekton SHOULD have. It is of course reasonable to change up some new items because, like I said earlier, games are situational and it depends on the team composition. If AP champions are causing your problems then build hex drinker, if you they have a tanky team then swap last whisper for Madrerdz Blood Razer and get it earlier in the game. The item build I gave is the best to get overall and works for most team compositions you fight against.

To address some other issues, I am against getting:

1.Spirit visage because of the following: there are better items to get and Renekton is a damage character. The faster more damager you get more damage the deadlier you will be. If you start straying off of damage to survive more you will become less and less useful and only be able to survive longer. Instead of increasing your survivability skills you should just purely rely on them instead of getting items to increase them (aside from Frozen mallet which gives you health, which is needed on all characters, and other essential bonuses for damage characters). Renekton already has his Q and R for health and his E for escaping, focus on damage and become useful for the team.

2. Cool-down Reduction: There are very few useful cool-down items for Renekton. I already spoke about Spirit Visage and Cool-down boots are useless because there are so many more useful boots for Renekton. There is SO much crowd control lately that mercury treads are almost completely necessary for most characters and the magic resist is a good bonus, ninja tabi wrecks dps teams with the dodge, and boots of swiftness are amazing for escaping and catching characters. To face the facts, there are way better boots to choose from. Though Yoomus is an amazing item, there are definitely better items for Renekton. Like I have said earlier, Renekton is more of a skill damage champ, ergo, Critical and the attack speed bonus are not that great for him since you should be focusing on damage, anyways, infinity edge gives you enough critical chance, while last whisper and black cleaver gives you the armor penetration (as well as armor penetration runes which are highly recommended, but right now I am talking about item builds). On another note, black cleaver also gives attack speed. All in all, most cool-down items are not worth getting for Renekton and Renekton already has low cool-down on his skills so it should not be a main focus. If cool-down is really wanted then get an elixir of brilliance near the end of the game, or farm blue golem. I really cannot express this enough, Renekton is a DAMAGE CHARACTER, so build him like one.

3. Attack Speed and Critical Chance Items: Renekton should be doing most of his damage from his skills so critical does not apply and attack speed should not be a worry on what to get. Yes, attack speed can be viable but you get enough with black cleaver and none of his skills really stack with attack speed to make it useful so if attack speed is indeed stacked then his damage will suffer from it. The same being said for critical chance, infinity edge provides enough critical chance it will cause Renekton's damage to suffer if stacked on Renekton.

4.Life Steal: Blood thirster provides Renekton with enough life steal as well does his Q and will cause his damage to fall if stacked. Q and R should provide enough survivability for Renekton and should be used wisely.

5. Tanking: This is a build type that really bothers me. First of all, people must remember that remember that Renekton is NOT Nasus. Renekton's ult doesn't do that much damage and Nasus can tank because his Q stacks damage for him, he has tankier stats, his spirit fire lowers armor and does decent damage, and his ult actually does good damage so he can get pure tank items and still do good damage. If Renekton tanks he does quite horrible damage. Renekton's skills do not help him in tanking since his Q will steal less life because he does less damage and all his ult does is heal him. Sure he has a stun and escape but the stun helps him only a little bit and the escape (his E) only allows him to escape and not do his job tanking the damage. Sure, any champion can tank with the right items, hell, I can tank as Heimerdinger and stun and blind with my grenades, slow with my turrets; however, Heimerdinger is most definitely not the best choice as a tank.

This being said, people need to face the facts. Renekton is a Damage character, plain and simple (except for my explanations >.>)

corallein

02-02-2011

Works in low ELO / pre-30 play.
Gets you murdered against decent players.

No melee champion can get by with no defensive items. You do damage by getting in melee range and staying in melee range, which makes you a big, fat, juicy target. Renekton also has no abilities that increase his survivability like Olaf or Xin (the 600 health from his ult is laughable in the lategame with no armor/MR backing it up).

And finally, Renekton's CDs are not short. There are quite a few useful CDR items for Renekton.
Ionian Boots are good if you feel like you don't need Mercury Treads (or can be bought early and replaced by Mercury Treads later)
Randuin's Omen is good on all melee champs, even though it was nerfed down to a measly 8% CDR.
Spirit Visage is a cheap midgame option for CDR + MR.
Brutalizer only has stats that Ren wants - damage, CDR, ArP.

kAzEkiD

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-02-2011

I've been doing really well with renekton post-patch going doran's shield > mercury treads > brutalizer > sunfire cape > youmoo's > Randuin's

Once you get both active items, you are basically unkillable and all your skills are spammable. You really dont need extra lifesteal with Ren, he regains so much HP with his ulti on and using your furious Q when you are getting low. It's actually better to be somewhat low HP during fights anyways because his passive doubles your fury generation when you are low.

Kintai

02-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallein View Post
Works in low ELO / pre-30 play.
Gets you murdered against decent players.

No melee champion can get by with no defensive items. You do damage by getting in melee range and staying in melee range, which makes you a big, fat, juicy target. Renekton also has no abilities that increase his survivability like Olaf or Xin (the 600 health from his ult is laughable in the lategame with no armor/MR backing it up).

And finally, Renekton's CDs are not short. There are quite a few useful CDR items for Renekton.
Ionian Boots are good if you feel like you don't need Mercury Treads (or can be bought early and replaced by Mercury Treads later)
Randuin's Omen is good on all melee champs, even though it was nerfed down to a measly 8% CDR.
Spirit Visage is a cheap midgame option for CDR + MR.
Brutalizer only has stats that Ren wants - damage, CDR, ArP.
I am level 30 and my ELO is fine. This build worked before his damage and stat boost beautifully so if i was able to pull this off with more than ten kills and at the very very least 2:1 kill death ratio before his boost then working this build after the boost is definitely viable. If you know how to play then your Q and R should be perfect without other survivability. I have always been positive and have initiated without dying. If you actually play right then you don't have a problem. Not using damage items makes Renekton useless for the team, especially late game. What you said probably works in the opposite direction, New players in low ELOs cant use this build because they have no idea how to play.

Bladesbane

02-02-2011

I've been DOMINATING with this build.
Lantern/ hexdrinker (if I'm not jungling (yes he can jungle))
Treads
Spirit Visage
Brutalizer - Ghostblade
Brutalizer
Black Cleaver

He does most of his damage through abilities. Max CDR and ArPen before anything else. His W applies on hit effects 3 times in one attack if you do it with Fury. That's maxing your cleaver stacks in ONE hit, bringing you to *75* ArPen, (not counting the further reduction from E) which will do more for your abilities than straight damage EVER will. He also needs to be a bit tanky since he is melee. With that sick armor penetration, the ghostblade steroid is all the help your autoattacks need. Forget building straight AD builds.
The incredible mid-game strength that the cheaper items like a second brutalizer, spirit visage, or lantern/ hexdrinker give you shouldn't be underestimated. Sure, you'll have to sell one of them if the game goes long. By that time, they'll have repaid their incredible effectiveness mid-game many times over in kills and assists.

Kintai

02-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kAzEkiD View Post
I've been doing really well with renekton post-patch going doran's shield > mercury treads > brutalizer > sunfire cape > youmoo's > Randuin's

Once you get both active items, you are basically unkillable and all your skills are spammable. You really dont need extra lifesteal with Ren, he regains so much HP with his ulti on and using your furious Q when you are getting low. It's actually better to be somewhat low HP during fights anyways because his passive doubles your fury generation when you are low.
To this post, like I said in my post, these builds are viable but his real beauty shines with attack damage. My friends and I always screw around. We have used crit Heimer and magewick and have won, it doesn't mean it is good. Getting damage to get kills fast before you receive the bulk of the damage and using life steal, your Q, and your R to sustain if you do take the damage is a lot more viable.

Lulwy

02-02-2011

So what if someone stuns you?

Silences?

Roots and runs?

Does anything at all that lowers your damage output in any way?

You do far better building beefy, walking in the middle of the enemy team, and killing whoever has the lowest HP. Repeat until either you drop dead or the enemy team lacks a pulse.

kAzEkiD

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-02-2011

its hard to do dmg when you are dead. sunfire + ulti's AOE + never die = dead other team.

in fact, i'm convinced sunfire is a must have item along with brutalizer for Ren.

Nightdancer ND

02-02-2011

btw not much people know, that Lifeleech works with his skills.

Kintai

02-02-2011

So what you guys are saying is that I should go and get randiuns and sunfire on pantheon, xin, and gangplank because i'll die if I do not and be useless? Great ideas. How about you read my post before commenting. If you cannot sustain yourself in a team fight without going a tank dps character then I am sorry to say but you are terrible players. I do not mean to offend you guys, but if I can do it before the patch and rape with him, pantheon, and other dps characters without using them as tanks then good players should be able to as well. Dps characters only really need hp to sustain (depending on the circumstance and character, such as olaf who needs wrecks with tanks dps build because of his skills) themselves and good players know that, that is why I am sharing my knowledge to people who need help, not so players can ignore my posts, not try it out, and use baseless information to counteract my argument. Like I said, you can win with tank Renekton, but I can go dps Kassadin and wreck people if I want. Yet again, being a viable build and the best viable build is different.