Help with team fights as a tank/off-tank

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Accurim

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-02-2011

So many times, I am forced to pick tank/off-tank/tanky dps. Team fights come along and I charge their kennen/ashe/(some squish) and cc+aa the **** out of them and they back away, but at the same time the enemy teams tanks are doing that to my squishies.

Is this wrong? Should I create a kind of wall in front of my squishies and not engage their squishies? Often times i'll make their squishies back off then i run back to help my own but this feels wrong. Srsly need more high elo tanks streaming =P.

TLDR: Enemy tankies rush my squishies. Do i rush enemy squishies or defend my own?

Accurim

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-02-2011

bump!

TrueHoax

02-02-2011

When I'm faced with this situation I try to read the battle... If letting the squishy go saves 2 of my team then I back off. It all really depends on the flow of battle really. There have been many times that my team has been mad at me because I let them die.. but it was important to push the towers to win reather then worry bout K/D. What can I say... I like to win.

JamesGotGame

02-02-2011

Well, as amumu I usually ult 3-4 of their tanks and then bandage toss their ashe/kat/corki, getting them down to 1/4 health and my team kills them. It kind of depends on which tank you play as.

Accurim

02-02-2011

i see, i guess you kind of have to evaluate the situation.. im use to diving so maybe ill try out protecting my squishies and see how that turns out

Cadeskywalker925

02-02-2011

What everyone above said is true. Also consider your role on the team. If you are off-tank/tanky DPS and have a tank you are probably doing it right, taking down their squishies while your tank or other off-tank/tanky DPS protects your squishies. But it all depends on the situation you may be the one hanging back to protect them. Just read the situation and remember KDA is less important then winning a game. It all comes down to team comp/individual situation.

HungryKarnage

02-03-2011

It matters what type of tank you are as well. If you are a taunt tank (Shen, Rammus) or a toss tank (Singe, Alistar, Blitz), your job is to dash all the way in, ignore everybody and grab that dang squishy to your team so they can burn him down. In this instance, you must trust your team to fend for themselves long enough for you to grab said person to bring for the chow-down. You must change targets quickly (grab a less critical squishy, like a support) if your primary target gets out of your reach (flash / ghost away), and pull them to your team. You will naturally draw enemy fire as you charge in, as they normally waste some cc on you to save their mate. So you're still tanking even though you are ignoring them. Never pull/taunt a tanky to your team in a teamfight. Only do that if they are isolated, or all relevant squishies have run/died.

Damage tanks (Cho, Mord, Nasus, Mundo, Udyr) are meant to be aggressive chasers. They are designed to be able to kill carries without dying, but their burst is too low to carry a team (disregarding late game Nasus). In teamfights, your main objective as a damage tank is to kill the enemy champ that is dealing the most damage to your team. Example: the enemy team has an Ashe and a Katerina. In this example, kill Kat first as her Lotus does more damage in a teamfight. Most damage tanks carry Ignite (more damage, last hitting kiting champs) or Exhaust (a form of CC). In the above case, you could focus on burning down Kat while tossing Exhaust on Ashe. That way you are taking care of the primary source of pain, and also damping down on their secondary source of damage. Hence, being a champion tank.

Rrbhaunoch

Recruiter

02-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungryKarnage View Post
It matters what type of tank you are as well. If you are a taunt tank (Shen, Rammus) or a toss tank (Singe, Alistar, Blitz), your job is to dash all the way in, ignore everybody and grab that dang squishy to your team so they can burn him down. In this instance, you must trust your team to fend for themselves long enough for you to grab said person to bring for the chow-down. You must change targets quickly (grab a less critical squishy, like a support) if your primary target gets out of your reach (flash / ghost away), and pull them to your team. You will naturally draw enemy fire as you charge in, as they normally waste some cc on you to save their mate. So you're still tanking even though you are ignoring them. Never pull/taunt a tanky to your team in a teamfight. Only do that if they are isolated, or all relevant squishies have run/died.

Damage tanks (Cho, Mord, Nasus, Mundo, Udyr) are meant to be aggressive chasers. They are designed to be able to kill carries without dying, but their burst is too low to carry a team (disregarding late game Nasus). In teamfights, your main objective as a damage tank is to kill the enemy champ that is dealing the most damage to your team. Example: the enemy team has an Ashe and a Katerina. In this example, kill Kat first as her Lotus does more damage in a teamfight. Most damage tanks carry Ignite (more damage, last hitting kiting champs) or Exhaust (a form of CC). In the above case, you could focus on burning down Kat while tossing Exhaust on Ashe. That way you are taking care of the primary source of pain, and also damping down on their secondary source of damage. Hence, being a champion tank.
+1

In my opinion taunt tanks can fill either role, particularly if you have both an initiator and a taunt tank. Rammus has good initiation with powerball, flash/taunt into the back of their group where the squishies will be, DBC, ult, let the opposition burn all of their CDs on you, then your group comes to finish them off (make sure you let your team know you are going to do it or they may sit back twiddling their thumbs not expecting it). But if you have another good initiator (like malphite, galio and most of the damage tanks detailed in your post), that taunt can sometimes be better used as a counter to however the other team responds to the initiation. You can keep one of them off of your carry, you can powerball in and taunt the oppositions' carry to keep them from getting away, etc. Two of my main characters are Nasus and Rammus and I believe they could work very well in this fashion.

This, like most tank issues is very situational. If you've had 5 team fights and your heaviest dps/nuker/assassin has died in 4-5 of them, whatever you are doing is probably wrong so try another method. As a tank I generally like to try initiating teamfights myself, but if that does not work let your team know that you don't think it is working and you want to try to let the other team initiate and your team counter.

The D Range

02-03-2011

come watch!

http://www.xfire.com/live_video/takatoreborn/#

lol. If you want tips hit us up. were climbing out of elo hell.

RaginHomoSapien

Recruiter

02-03-2011

question:
Did you win the team fight?

if yes
then
you did your job

if no
then
you did not do your job