Karma Tips & Tricks (Post Them Here)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mitch Bade

02-01-2011

I purchased Karma today, and after playing a few games, I have found that out of the two major build paths she can choose from, I prefer having more AP than aura items.

I've tried building the Shurylias(?) Reverie, Spirit Visage, Soul Shroud, and other items of that type that some support champions build from, but I found that it doesn't do as much good for me as an AP build did.

Items I like to use on her:

Boots of Lucidity
Rod of Ages
Rylais Scepter
Will of the Ancients -Recommend-
Rabadon's Deathcap
Banshee's Veil -Recommend-

With Masteries + Runes + Boots she gets up to 32% CDR, and you can max it if you prefer to have a Soul Shroud or Deathfire Grasp (which might be good giving her another damage source). CDR is highly recommended for her since you want to have Mantra Stacks more often, and your Skills off cooldown as much as possible.

Banshee's Veil works WONDERS for her. While she has the shield up from BV, she can cast her Soul Shield on an ally without regretting that she didn't use it on herself. Plus, if you do get ganked, and you use Soul Shield after they break BV's Shield it can save your ass in an awsome fashion.

My favorite skill is her E which is the Soul Shield. At max rank, and a few hundred AP she can use it to mitigate 500+ damage. Also, if you activate your Mantra then use it, it instantly deals that same amount of damage to everyone around the person you put the shield on, and the size of the AOE is rather large. So it can mitigate over 500 damage, and deal over 500 damage to everyone around her at the same time. I've used it to get kills by having a Rammus Tower Dive then placing the Shield on him when he is in range of the enemy champions. It saves his ass from the turret and hurts the hell out of them.

Her W ability is the Spirit Bond skill. One thing you should notice is that if you place it on an enemy, that single enemy will not take damage, but only get the slow effect. Only enemies who pass through the link will take damage. If you activate a Mantra first, the enemies who take damage will also get the slow. It takes a lot of coordination for you to be able to hit more than 1 enemy champion inside the link, so you will have to come up with strategies to do that in an efficient way.

Her Q ability is the easiest to use of her abilities, since it is pretty straight forward. Damage in a cone, or Damage + Heal in a cone if you activate mantra. She can heal a decent amount with it, but she is no Soraka. However if you aim it right you can hurt most of the enemy champions while healing most of your allies.

I prefer to save my Mantras for E the most, then Q, and W only if I need to boost the speed of more than one ally, but that situation hardly ever arises.

Soul Shield is quickly becoming one of my favorite skills in the entire game, and I can see it getting an AP ratio nerf, but I really hope they don't. So far, I don't think she is OP, or UP. My last game ended up with 3/5/17, and that was when I tried the less deadly/less helpful support build.

Sorry no TL;DR. Read it if you want to play Karma.

I would love for you guys to say what you like or don't like about Karma (after actually playing her). Any Tips & Tricks you have would be nice too!

sbudeeG

02-01-2011

Summoner spells: Ghost and Exhaust. You don't need Clarity, Heal, Ignite, Teleport, or any of those other silly things. Also, these two spells inparticular will make chaining multiple enemy champions in team fights THAT much easier. I see a lot of Karma players get flash. While that might seem smart, to have an instant movement method on a burst caster, it does not mesh well with your need to not only stay in the fight, but often even hit a single enemy champion, i.e. forced to flash out of the range for your chain where as if you had ghost or exhaust, you could have simply adjusted. Taking both ensures that you will never be interrupted as you prance around the fields of justice, blowing things up with a shield and saving your allies from certain death as you divert the watchful gaze of death onto you enemies.

So let's review:

Ghost: Yes.
Exhaust: Yes.
Flash: No.
Other useless junk: No.

Item Order!
This is important. Your first item should be Meki Pendant. Not the ring. Not the Sapphire Crystal. Meki. Pendant. Mana Regen is heavenly. While the ring may give more stats for your money, it doesnt build into anything, and you cant take some potions with you. Which equates to you being royally screwed against a tough lane.
Turn the Meki Pendant into a Tear of the Goddess. Byebye mana problems. You should have a ton of gold still. You're Karma, you have the staying power of a Soraka/Alistair lane. By yourself. And you farm like Karthus. If you had a really fun lane session, you have enough still for a needlessly large rod and a pair of basic boots. get that. If not, get the Ionian ones, and go back to play some more. If you don't have money for either of those, or you actually died in lane phase... go back to Garen.
Most people would think "Herp derp, here's where i finish Ionian boots and get Deathcap!" No. NO. BAD READER! BAD! Do I have to rub your nose in it? Finish the boots? Yes, naturally. Deathcap already? HELL NO. At this point, laning phase should be drawing to a close. So in light of that, you will get Hextech Revolver. Spell vamp is your friend. Especially in team fights while you're running around absorbing collateral damage, yet doing quite a hefty amount yourself. Mantra'd shield and BOOM full health again.
Now that you have that, take a look at the enemy team comp. If they are a buncha casters, work towards Abyssal Scepter, unless there is a better candidate on your team, such as Karthus or Kassadin. If that is the case, grab the Negatron and hold off for now. If it is physical, start building for Frozen Heart, getting the mana/CDR item first.
NOW you get the Deathcap. Remember, rushing the deathcap can do a lot of great stuff, but since are required to be relatively close to a fight, it can be a very bad idea, especially against a smart enemy team. Survivability in early team fights will decide the match, even if you have to settle for assists rather than kills. It's better to not feed the enemy team. You might take one down, but if they get you, you're not acutally getting anywhere. In fact, it could be worse, depending on your streak bonus and their death penalty/how many people got assist gold for you.
Turn TotG into AA Staff. Frozen Heart Mana (if you have it) turns that early defense into fantastic offense! Win all the way around. See? I'm not crazy. ... ....well maybe a little.
If you had to build MR, and are sitting around with just a Negatron, now is the time to turn it into that Banshee's. More hp, More mana, which means more AP, Magic resist, and a nifty little spell shield. Great stuff.
AA staff.
AA staff, unless you have both defensive items.
You should have roughly 800-900 AP, around 2.4k hp, decent resistances, and look dead sexy.

Oh, and Flat AP Page on everything except Reds. Reds are MPen.
AP/level is bad, because you are a lane-phase farmer. Having less AP in the early game makes you kind of pointless. People will stop and stare. Children will point and laugh. You will try to go on with your pathetic little life, but find it utterly impossible. Three days later you will be found hanging from the rafters of your attic, with a note clenched in your right fist that reads, "Karma is a *****".

Kazman

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-01-2011

Haha hilarious and very imformative post!
I am really digging Karma, but I find that I die way too much. Lux is my main because I really like being able to deal massive damage from far away like a mortar.
I really want to like Karma, I really really do; but this whole day I have been made a fool of while playing her because I just can't survive worth a ****. My build is very similar to Mitch's, so I guess I will give shube's build a shot before I get disappointed.
Thanks for the tips!

Mitch Bade

02-02-2011

You just have to get used to her playstyle. I've had some great games so far, and you will too eventually. You will learn what not to do :P.

Going Ham

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-02-2011

I prefer convey karma. I've played a few games (only one bad one, and our whole team got pwnd) with her and this is how I roll it.

I do start Doran ring. I prefer it because with the utility masteries I don't really have a mana problem so why not get the hp and AP?

As for skills i actually start with Spirit Bond. its my favorite skill of hers, and technically does the most damage i find it to be SO useful.

I try and keep it leveled and I just level the other skill depending on what we need.

I go Dorans - phil stone - CD boots - Reverie - some ap, archangels or rabadons depending - and then some more HP, then some more AP.

Just counter building really.

My random tip use use the spirit bond ALOT. it shuts down melee carries cause they cant reach anyone, it saves stragglers, and makes initiations alot better. put it on a shen or a kat or ez and whenever they flash the bond can over extend its range for the .1 second long enough to do dmg and slow ppl.

larkhill

02-02-2011

her shield will get a nerf to stop her from jungling so well. she should not be able to jungle as fast as a ww...

sbudeeG

02-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkhill View Post
her shield will get a nerf to stop her from jungling so well. she should not be able to jungle as fast as a ww...
A lot of champions jungle faster than WW. In fact, he is actually fairly slow. I can jungle Soraka as fast as some people jungle WW. The reason WW has the "King of the Jungle" title is that you don't need any kind of runes or masteries in order to do it.

Shiria

02-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkhill View Post
She have 1,7sec suppresion and lifesteal also.
And why the **** would anybody jungle on her if shes good laner.
go away

Lancefighter

02-02-2011

for the same reason you jungle shen or malph - because your team needs *role* and *jungler*.

Planarian

02-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Bade View Post

Her W ability is the Spirit Bond skill. One thing you should notice is that if you place it on an enemy, that single enemy will not take damage, but only get the slow effect. Only enemies who pass through the link will take damage. If you activate a Mantra first, the enemies who take damage will also get the slow. It takes a lot of coordination for you to be able to hit more than 1 enemy champion inside the link, so you will have to come up with strategies to do that in an efficient way.
In the spotlight it showed attaching link to a ward. Assuming linking with an invis ward/JitB/Mushroom doesn't pop stealth you can try various defense and/or offensive tower dive prevention ploys. A movable version of Karthu's wall so to speak.

Or run away, drop a ward, soul link for damaging chasers without having to turn around to plink. Pop shield for even more fun.

Just throwing some thoughts out there... I should pick her up and play around.