How do you play Amumu? :(

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ninja

01-19-2010

Amumu is a lot more useful in team fights than most people expect. His ult can stun an entire team and let your team mow them down.

My usual strategy revolves around rushing to the point where you're actually a tank. Early game Amumu is not a tank at all. My current build puts 22 points in Defense and the rest in Utility. I also am currently using a full page of Armor/Magic Resist runes. Armor in yellow and quints and megic resist in red and blue. I also only go for the flat amounts as you don't need scaling. That gives you just over 10 in armor and 10 in magic resistance from that page, and it only costs about 600 IP to do it. With that and my masteries and a Doran's Shield. At level 1 I have 800+ health, and I think something along the lines of 60 armor and 50 Magic resist.

Start off with Tantrum and use the fact that you are beefy to get last hits on creeps. Doran's also provides health regen so you can lane as much as possible without returning. I'll usually be able to lane until I have about 1200, port back get Ninja Tabi and start building a heart of gold. The armor on the hearts is decent and the +gold is useful to accelerate you to a sunfire cape. At the point you have a sunfire cape, the game should already be at the point where its team battles only, so it's your job to initiate. I usually get flash as one of my summoner spells, despair, blink in, ult, tantrum, and your team should be swooping in while you do that. If the team stays and fights they will have/be taking damage from your ult, despair, your cape, and tantrum, which you should be spamming as often as you can. If they run, your bandage toss should be up (which is why I get blink) and you can grab them and be tantrum/despairing them.

The ult's CD should not be a problem. If it is, then you are using it too often, or getting into bad situations too often, and you need to reasses your playstyle.

Amumu is a team player, and requires a lot of coordination from your team as well. I've found solo queueing to be a bit more difficult than premades because there are a lot of people that don't know how to team-fight, etc.

I disagree with people that say Rammus, or Allistair are "better" tanks, and that if you're going to play Amumu you might as well play one of them. It's a different playstyle, more oriented toward teamkilling rather than disruption and single-target killing. It takes some getting used to, and you need to have a good early game, which can be difficult and requires some investment. I think that's why you don't see him in game very often.

Regardless, he's super fun to play, especially when you're in an all 18 game and solo a fed Twitch.

imbri

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-20-2010

I really enjoy playing him but man, is early game a pain if you don't have a cooperative lane mate. Even then, it can be tricky. I've found myself going for boots first, as that extra bit of FLEE!! survivability seems to be helping more than the hp regen. So far... I've been going Boots->Cape->Cape->Sorcerer Boots->Warmog recently and that's working already. By 9 I'm pretty solid but 1-8 I don't feel particularly useful.

ninja

01-20-2010

I used to get 2 capes, but they are very expensive, and having two doesn't really make that much of a difference when farming. The second one could easily be replaced by something like Stark's which gives your team some very good benefits during teamfights.

You shouldn't need to get boots right away, you should be aiming for survivability while actually being in the lane, getting both gold and XP. This is possible. Amumu is a tank. I know he's squishy early game, but that's why i get what I get. Blink is your best friend early game, it's cooldown isn't too bad and you don't yet need it for teamfights, so if you happen to be getting ganked use it. It's saved me so many times, mostly against combos that incllude slows like Mundo, and ganks with Twitch. Usually I can play in such a way that would discourage aggressiveness in my lane... especially since it's hard for anyone to do serious damage to me early game with my build. And it doesn't take very long for me to afford Ninja Tabi. I usually concentrate early game on getting creep KS with tantrum, and it's a bonus if I can tantrum a player at the same time as a creep.

And as Amumu I don't rely on my teammates early game, as usually you lane with someone much squishier than you, so they easily get targeted first, at which point they rely on me to counter, and stun with bandage toss. Playing defensively like that usually gets me lots of assists early game because it gives the other team the illusion that they are doing well in the lane and promotes unnecessary agression from them, and sometimes they end up doing stupid **** because of that. If they don't then they end up pushing to our tower anyway and that puts me in a better position to initiate an attack.

As soon as you hit 6 you are immediately useful. If mid looks like it could end up in a successful gank, help your solo gank. You have two stuns... they are very useful.

AsherZaine

01-21-2010

Plz dont listen to the ******s with sun fire capes you can stack them on any character and do decent you need to build 25 percent cd reduction I play as tank so i get frozen heart which makes my ult at 100 seconds bandage toss at 11 seconds and enrage at 11 or 12 but it ticks down one sec each time your hit. CD REDUCTION IS KEY! IF THEY DONT THEY ARE A BAD AT AMUMU AND SHOULD FEAL BAD.

ninja

01-22-2010

I agree with Asher. Last bunch of games I've been going CD reduction, and it works very well. You can go CD Reduction and still get tank items... examples:

Haunting Guise: +9 Health Regen per 5 sec +8 Mana Regen per 5 sec UNIQUE Passive: Reduces ability cooldowns by 10% and +20 Magic Penetration (Maybe not really a tank item, but this fits Amumu perfectly, as HP regen is very useful early game, mana regen is great as he has a mana problem, the reduced CD is also good, and the magic penetration is also good as all of your moves are magic damage)

Soul Shroud: +520 Health UNIQUE Aura: Gives nearby Champions 12 Mana per 5 and 15% reduced Cooldowns.

Frozen Heart: +99 Armor +500 Mana UNIQUE Passive: Reduces ability cooldowns by 25% and reduces the attack speed of nearby enemies by 25%.

Soul Shroud: +33 Magic Resistance +25 Health Regen per 5 sec UNIQUE Passive: Reduces ability cooldowns by 12%. (Getting this is usually my justification for not getting swiftness instead of MR boots)

Keep in mind that you can have a maximum of 40% (I think) cooldown reduction. For Amumu this means a 84 sec Ult CD.

I'm keeping my Armor & MR rune page with him, as I can be more aggressive, and I usually start off with Meki so I can spam stuff more often. I've been building Meki into Fiendish Codex, but I'm starting to think it's not worth it. I'm going to try Mana Manipulator, since you get the same benefit, but it's an aura, so it helps if you are laning with a caster. I've also been getting Swiftness boots, as it helps to chase/bandage/kill, especially if you have a cooperative team.

Once I get boots then complete Soul Shroud, then Frozen Heart. At that point I believe your ult should be 84 seconds, so you should be able to keep it up for every team fight. Once you get that, you can do whatever. I've gotten Warmog's if I'm feeling like I need to be more tank, or Rylai's if we're having an easy time with teamfights, and I just wanna be more annoying with the slow and then +80 AP gives you a NB boost to your ability damage.

Anyway, Sunfire's are meh. I find them unnecessary now with CD reduction, since it also applies to your tantrum, bringing it down to 5.4 sec at max. So it makes it much more spammable esp with the -1sec/hit. Also, I noticed that Sunfire was giving me Armor that I didn't really need in most cases, as I found magic damage to be killing me more often in most games, but that's pretty situational.

Actually, now that I look at it, for the price of a sunfire + a bit, you can get a Soul Shroud + a Chain Vest and you'd get more Health, and a more useful passive.

So ya actually I no longer recommend Sunfire. You can be way more useful with short cooldowns.

If anyone above that is using Sunfire's tries this build, please let us know how you feel about it in comparison. I'm willing to bet you'll like it more, and I think feedback like this is important in a "How to play Amumu?" thread.

JunkRamen

01-22-2010

Sunfire capes are terrible. While at first they look great because they provide a lot of two good tanking stats (hp/armor), you're paying a LOT for that 40 damage per second, like almost 1000g. Furthermore, they provide very little against mage teams so picking them up any game is a bad idea regardless.

When I build a tank, I personally use a "base" build which I always start with and then build depending on their team from there. The basic build:

Catalyst
Boots
Aegis (must have for any team)

From there, you upgrade the boots depending on whether you need Tabi or Merc's. Then you build accordingly to the biggest DPS threats on their team. For example:

vs high physical:
base + Warden's Mail, then stack health (Warden's is underrated in longer games IMO)
or
base + Frozen Heart, then stack health (provides almost no magic mitigation, careful)
or
base + Guardian Angel, then stack health (good for initiators like Malphite)
or
1-2 Hearts of Gold, start building any of the above (good for poor farmers like Rammus)

vs high magic:
base + Banshee's Veil, 1 Negatron Cloak, then health (skip cloak for more health if there's physical)
Maybe a Chalice in there depending on the tank. Aside from that, MR combines aside from BV/Merc/Aegus are pretty **** and you're best off stacking Negatrons or health after a basic build.

vs mix of both:
base + 2x HoG + BV (Probably the most balanced build, replace HoG's later)
or
base + Warmog's (generally only good on good farmers like Nasus, Cho'gath)

These builds are all pretty expensive and at my level games generally end not too long after Aegis.

ninja

01-22-2010

While I think your build is good for a generic tank, I don't think it's gearing Amumu properly. While as a tank, he needs to be able to take lots of damage and live, he is more prone to ****ing the other team up. Warden I could see would be great for Rammus, not so much Amumu. I rarely find myself being focused too much... my DPS regularly relies on my ult to win a team-fight because they expect to get focused anyway when I initiate.

Frozen Heart I like, though against a nuke-heavy team, there are other options you can take to build that CD Reduction that is more suited (Spirit Visage, Soul Shroud).

Guardian Angel is good late game, when you are more useful. As you already rarely die, with such a long ult CD, you prolly won't even have your ult ready if you revive after dying in a team fight, since you likely used your ult. If you went CD reduction, and then got this, then it would be much more useful, since your ult would likely come back around the same time as you would have respawned.

Hearts of gold are IMO not a good investment for Amumu. At your base tantrum CD for 20 seconds, a mana regen item will be more useful in the long run, and cheaper, as long as you use tantrum to kill creeps as often as possible. To match the same gold income of one blade, you'd have to kill one creep every 40 seconds. I'm sure I get more than that. If you're used to it, and you don't think you're going to lane well, sure, but I've tried it and it only slows down me getting the items I need, and makes me less useful mid-game, since I have my team constantly asking me if my ult is up.

Aegis is interesting. I will give it a try sometime. Though again, it seems to be a very generic tank item.

I've been building Amumu as a tank for so long now that I just feel that I need to pay attention to what he's good at not one of the things hes classified as. If I started playing Nunu, who is classified as a tank, I would not build him as a tank, I would build him as a Nunu.

Your base build should be tailored to the character as well. Then you can modify your base build to be more effective against the team you are up against.

A generic start build gives you two degrees of separation between your character and your final build. 1, that you start with a base tank build, and 2, that you then modify this build to account for the other team. Sure, you may even modify it toward tank items that are better suited for the character later, you are gimping yourself early with that first degree of separation.

Lemme know what you think about that. Not trying to rag on you or anything btw. That's just my opinion. If you see any good in it and it helps you then I'm happy, lol. Just saying, cuz this is the type of game where people take a lot of **** personally, especially in these forums.

JunkRamen

01-22-2010

My post actually was tailored to a generic tank, the main point being Sunfire Cape sucks and you can get much cheaper mitigation elsewhere. I lost that point somewhere in there and started talking about how to gear tanks... too sleepy. I come from more of a Malphite point of view btw.

-Warden is probably a better buy on tanks that tend to get hit a lot - Rammus and Malph. Amumu does tend to get ignored, but don't forget that he has a very short CD initiator so getting attacked is going to happen. I'd definitely avoid Thornmail.

-Frozen Heart is a poor buy if they have any sort of magical damage threat at all. The aura is not nearly as good as it sounds and the mana is excessive on any tank if you're going to build a BV, which you should be. CDR is nice but you should get it elsewhere

-GA is good because it makes it much safer for you to initiate. Plus, it provides a good mix of pdef and mdef.

-In my experience Catalyst is all you really need for mana regen on Amumu, especially if you get golem. If it's really bad, you could invest in a Chalice, though I'm not a big fan of the item. Amumu is a pretty good farmer so HoG's may not be necessary, but if things are rolling mid game HoG isn't a terrible buy anyway. If you look at some calcs you'll see it doesn't really get outdated for a long, long time.

-Every team needs Aegis, most teams put it on the tank. It's especially good on a tank like Amumu who will generally survive a lot of team fights. The alternative is for it to be on a support like Taric, Kayle, or Sivir.

-The reason I use a Catalyst/Boots/Aegis base build is because Catalyst is the ideal first buy for almost any tank until games start getting really short. Boots are obvious, and Aegis is assumed not to be present on anyone else. From there you can build to the strengths of whatever character, but I don't see Sunfire's being a strength for anybody unless you're seriously smashing the other team already.

Grake

01-22-2010

He's a tank, and an initiator. nuff said.

I heard all about how he was the "sad mommy boy" because of his inability to fight.

Now with him being free and all, im beginning to see it's quite the opposite.

Viro Melchior

01-22-2010

1000 gold for 20 health and what is usually 160 dps in team fights is hardly "a bad deal".

And I'm confused how you see little use in them vs mage teams. Amumu's Despair is weak vs mages because it is % based not raw damage. Sunfire is the opposite, and with Bandage Toss and CotSM you can easily be next to that spellcaster. Combining Despair and Sunfire gives Amumu strong viability against the entire enemy team, regardless of composition.

For Heart of Gold, you are paying 200 gold for 20 health, 9 armor, and the gold generation. Considering the Cloth armor is 300 gold for 18 armor, you could say you're paying 50 gold for 20 health and the gold generation (and therefore pays for the cost over the two otherwise-still-useful items you needed in a mere minute forty seconds). If you compare value to the Chain Vest instead, it comes out 10 gold "worse" (a whole two minutes to pay off).
I'll agree that mana regen can be better, but for that to happen you have to be being allowed to last hit. I've played plenty of matches where that just isn't possible due to laning opponents managing to completely shut me and whoever I'm with down.

I don't like Aegis on Amumu. Why? Until he's spamming Despair or stacking Sunfire Capes, he isn't a good pusher at all. Sure it's good for the team fights, but put it on a champion that can also use it to push a lane.