How do you play Amumu? :(

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xenova

01-18-2010

This sad mummy is making me a sad player. I just bought him and i seriously can't get the hang of him.

It seems his mana is too low, if i land a bandage + Tantrum and despair they just walk away =/

His ulti's CD is too long to be useful, i was thinking a CD reduction build but then he cant tank very well.

Could i get some tips from PRO mummy players? ^_^

XrBob

01-18-2010

Honestly he's not very common and for good reason. There are better tanks out there, rammus, cho'gath, and malphite are all usually better choices.

If you like him though, I used to go philo stone, merc treads, and a sunfire cape or two along with an abyssal scepter. Gives him decent regen, health, armor, magic resist, and aoe damage especially combined with despair. Generally, ult>tantrum>despair>bandage toss, though get at least one level of bandage early. It's not really worth having despair on a lot early on, doesn't do much damage and it's just a mana drain.

Xenova

01-18-2010

Yea i don't see how he's possibly useful at all... I much prefer my Singed =/

Naje

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-18-2010

Lol, when I use him, I use him for a tank that can stun and hold... I used him when despair was like 3% of total health or around that can't remember. But now it's like 0.01% or is the site just outdated? Before you would try to do damage to them through despair + 3 sunfires or 2 sunfires/aegis etc

Sthil

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-18-2010

i use to go AP Amumu, much like AP singed. get merc treads and get a Rod of Ages or two then a sunfire cape. It makes your bandage toss hurts a lot more then the other team realises and your despair (has a horrible AP ratio btw) does more than YOU realize in a team fight.

Naje

Recruiter

01-18-2010

http://leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=8162

- Try this one, it's the one I used when I played amumu and I did pretty well using it ( the 3x sunfire build )

Dustinsanity

01-19-2010

Never solo mid and try to get a laning partner who is a caster. This empowers your laning partner's spells by hitting the target due to Amumu's passive. Ryze, Annie, and Veigar are ideal because they all three have stuns, and while the foe is stunned, they're taking extra magic damage as a result of your passive, your Despair, and your laning partner's spells.

I FORGOT: Get the golem buff whenever you run out of it. lol. Also the lizard buff doesn't hurt and encourages players to stay out of your face because if they don't, they're getting magic resistance reduction.

Step 1. Take the Tank role, and STICK with the build for Tanking. If you stray from it, you'll just set yourself up for a quick death in teamfights.

Step 2. Starting Items: Doran's Shield, Health Potion x1.
Step 3. Ninja Tabi. Buy it in pieces if you need to, respectively in Boots of Speed, Cloth Armor, Ninja Tabi.
(It's the cheapest boots in the game that has the +2 movement buff and it's ideal for tanking for obvious reasons.)
Step 4. Know thy enemy. If 3/5 foes are mages, go Force of Nature > Banshee's Veil > Sunfire Cape x 2.
If 3/5 foes are physicarries, you can either go Sunfire Cape x 4, or Force of Naturex2 cuz it stacks, Thornmail to punish attackers for even attempting to widdle you down, and a Sunfire Cape to even further punish and help farm.

For summoner spells I go with Flash and Heal. It makes me outlast most hero 1v1 attacks with me killing them cuz my Despair's on. You can replace Flash with Cleanse if you're really weary of CC, because in most cases engaging with Bandage Toss into Curse of the Sad Mummy will get you stunned before you can set it off. In contrast, if they lack a snare or stun, you would go with flash to Bandage Toss in, Curse, Flash out, then live to harass them with your presence via Sunfire Cape and Despair. I personally end up dealing fcktons of damage to 5 people and barely making it out alive with Flash, then b out. It works probably 70% of the time.

Get Dodge, Magic Penetration, and Mana Regen runes, go for the Defensive tree and part utility for the mana regen and experience boost.

Here's what I do for abilities.
E, Q, W, E, W, R, taking R when you can and E above Q and W for the passive damage reduction, and maxing out Q after that for the harassment, then E because your initiator (Bandage Toss) isn't as important as the tools in your ability list that truly impact the way your win team fights, harass, or avoid ganks.

If you want more tips, add me. My Amumu's movin' on up, as my team says. :P

My fav tactic is running into a team with Bandage Toss, popping my ult, then attack each player once and watch their Health fall quicker than than mine does as they attempt to attack me instead of my teammates who are wailing on them. It's very frustrating and despite my constant damage output, they realize the fresh players in their faces just became the threat and I just walk away to go buy stuff. lol. Plus this build can take about 9 tower hits and live at Lv. 18. Possibly more. Tweak as you wish.

One last note: All this dodge stacking will let you dodge important projectiles including Parrley, Tristana's Ult, Teemo's Blinding Dart, and even yes - Turret shots.

Kadzin

01-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenova View Post
Yea i don't see how he's possibly useful at all... I much prefer my Singed =/
An ult that immobilizes all enemies for a few seconds

Amumu is interesting to play
Just stack sunfire capes
they synergise with despair very well
since it does percentage of maumu's health in damages
you get aditional aoe damage from sunfire plus damage from increased health for despair
all in all i think he is a great tank and an early ganker too
he probably won't be your top dps or but tantrum allows him to take a beating
and bandage allows him to chase
With his ult you can land a tripple kill for that fiddle sticks on your team
it's a team game after all

VortexMagus

01-19-2010

One of the single best heroes for teamfights and ganking.

I suggest getting philosopher stone, one of the defensive boots (mercury or ninja tabi), sunfire cape, and then pick your choice of frozen mallet, banshee veil, or a second sunfire cape, depending on your team's needs.

In a game where your team is doing poorly or you're not sure you can get to your endgame items, get two hearts of golds before the first sunfire cape, it gives you more tanking power midgame and scales decently into lategame.

You can get damage on amumu if you really want to, but his skillset is designed to be the most dangerous as an initiator of a teamfight, where he's in the middle of all five of their heroes. If you try to maximize amumu's damage over survivability, you're not really pushing him to his full emo potential, imo, since you won't be able to fill the role of the initiator properly.

Don't expect to get solo kills as amumu, though. This is a team game and your skills are designed to win team fights. You're not solochamp udyr, don't play like one. Spend all your time thinking about the gankgankgankgankgankgankgankgankgank.

For team fights, playing him is relatively simple. Just pop despair right before the fight, bandage toss into the middle of their group, ult, exhaust their main physical dps (twitch or teemo), and rightclick their squishiest hero while mashing e. If they focus you after your ult, flash out while the rest of your team rapes them. If they don't focus you, just stay on their squishies, despair + tantrum + sunfire cape + physical attacks do tons of damage if you can stay near them long enough. Don't stay on the squishy if the squishy retreats at low health, just go back and help the your team clean up the rest of the enemy group.

Fbsunny

01-19-2010

My build is as follows.
Items.
Start with meki pendant +2 hp pots
1. Chalice of Harmony (for MR and mana regen)
2. Boots of Speed.
3. Sunfire Cape
4. Upgrade to Merc Treads
5. Sunfire Cape
6. Abyssal Scepter
7. Depends on what I need more of.

This is my basic items list, and although you need to adapt to the game you are currently in, this works well for at least 90% of the games. It has health, armor, and MR so you are well rounded, and you don't get owned by AoE nukes or the other teams carry.

For spells go with
1. E
2. Q
3. E
4. W
5. E
6. R
after this priority is R>E>W>Q

The reason for leveling up despair before bandage toss is because you are mainly going for AoE damage anyways, and it is also important to have the Depair Aura's range increased by the time you start using it a lot (kind of sucks early game).

For summoner spells I get Heal and Clarity. Heal is very useful early and mid game for giving you the edge to win lane fights, since you are not really HP stacking it is still somewhat useful late game. It is also very useful in baiting enemies into tower diving, then you heal yourself, bandage toss them and if necessary use your ult for an easy kill.
Clarity is nice because even with Chalice you will run out of mana quickly using your Ult+despair+ spamming tantrum, and if is very useful to be able to have enough mana to get that last bandage toss in for the kill without getting mana items.

Other then that remember that Amumu is pretty weak until level 6, and isn't all that much of a tank until he gets 2 sunfire capes, and not really a tank at all before he gets his first cape.