Sniperness' Caitlyn - L2Wanted

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

malphismia

03-15-2011

Sniperness, what do you think of my build?

I don't focus on Crit/AD/AS, since her Q and passive doesn't actually benefit from crit, whereas focusing ArPen/AD/AS does (Q benefits from AD/ArPen, passive benefits from 150% AD and AS causes passive to proc more).

Doran's Blade
Brutalizer (AD/ArPen)
Black Cleaver (AD/AS/ArPen)
Stark's Fervor (AS/Lifesteal/~ArPen)
Guardian's Angel

If game goes long enough: Upgrade to Youmuu's, Buy 2nd Brutalizer

I usually autoattack in end-game, but sometimes I'm zoned out by their tank, so I have to resort to Q spamming which is why I don't abandon it completely.

AIM7Sparrow

03-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRED View Post
Sniperness, what do you think of my build?

I don't focus on Crit/AD/AS, since her Q and passive doesn't actually benefit from crit, whereas focusing ArPen/AD/AS does (Q benefits from AD/ArPen, passive benefits from 150% AD and AS causes passive to proc more).

Doran's Blade
Brutalizer (AD/ArPen)
Black Cleaver (AD/AS/ArPen)
Stark's Fervor (AS/Lifesteal/~ArPen)
Guardian's Angel

If game goes long enough: Upgrade to Youmuu's, Buy 2nd Brutalizer

I usually autoattack in end-game, but sometimes I'm zoned out by their tank, so I have to resort to Q spamming which is why I don't abandon it completely.
Personally I haven't tried that kind of build but it looks pretty low on dps to me. You certainly have the armor pen going but it needs time to ramp up via the cleaver as well as being in range for starks.

Also take a look at these numbers from leaguecraft. I assume we both get berserker's grieves and brutalizer so I left those two out out comparison since they would just cancel:

You - Dorans, Cleaver, Starks: 6090g, 65 atk, 70% atk speed (20% of which is aura), 23% lifesteal
Me - Infinity Edge, Phantom Dancer: 6975g, 75 atk, 55% atk speed, 50% crit chance, IE crit damage modifier

I don't know about you but 900g extra for the second set of stats looks a lot more appealing to me. Ult's will almost always be hitting harder since cleaver armor debuffs usually won't be on your targets. Q's might be hitting harder sometimes too. Auto attacks will DEFINITELY be hitting harder.

The 15% move speed is also much more appealing to me for spacing in teamfights and farming lanes and whatnot over the lifesteal.

Also, as a general rule of thumb on any AD carry, you should always be attacking the closest/safest target, even if it is the tank. Better to at least do some safe damage to a tank than try to reach a squishy in the back and get blown up. IE crits at 1.5 attack speed and 60% crit chance with green elixers hurt a lot, even tanks will go down sooner or later.

malphismia

03-15-2011

Thanks for the helpful feedback.

I know Infinity Edge is the most effective AD carry item, I just want to try an alternative route, because personal preference, I don't like farming too long for the IE, I like cheaper items built in smaller installments. I would probably be dealing near-true damage will all that ArPen though.

Lifesteal is another personal preference. It's like the survivability stat for physical DPS, and having just one vampire sceptre can boost your survivability drastically.

AIM7Sparrow

03-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRED View Post
Thanks for the helpful feedback.

I know Infinity Edge is the most effective AD carry item, I just want to try an alternative route, because personal preference, I don't like farming too long for the IE, I like cheaper items built in smaller installments. I would probably be dealing near-true damage will all that ArPen though.

Lifesteal is another personal preference. It's like the survivability stat for physical DPS, and having just one vampire sceptre can boost your survivability drastically.
Just to emphasize my stance against lifesteal:

23% with starks and dorans. Even assuming you're dealing true damage. 101 base + 65 from your items gives you 166 attack damage. Each hit you're healing barely over 38 hp. If you think about fighting against a different carry who's critting you for 450 every 2 out of 3 hits with my item build the life steal stat hardly seems worth it.

If you haven't already I highly suggest you give my build a shot. I don't think you'll be disappointed. And just to be completely objective, I will also give your build a shot.

Durakk

03-15-2011

So, I've been gone from LoL for several, several...SEVERAL...months. I guess it's been about a year or so at this point. Not relevant. So I have always played as Shen. I fell in love with the Ninja. I decided yesterday, since I've been terrible @ Shen ever since playing him, that perhaps I should try a different role.

So I start looking at the characters I remember, then start checking out the ones that are new...to me anyways. And I stumble upon Cait. I read up on her, fell in love, want to play her. Decided to look up a guide while the servers were down.

When the servers come up, I think your guide has convinced me to buy her. And yes, I'm posting here simply to tell you that. Oh, and to say....if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to play a game with you against AI and watch what you do on her...or if you have a video hosted somewhere, that would work.

Anyways, thanks so much for the guide. And thank you everyone who has posted, minus the mega-DBs, who engaged in reasonable discussion. This was good reading.

AIM7Sparrow

03-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durakk View Post
So, I've been gone from LoL for several, several...SEVERAL...months. I guess it's been about a year or so at this point. Not relevant. So I have always played as Shen. I fell in love with the Ninja. I decided yesterday, since I've been terrible @ Shen ever since playing him, that perhaps I should try a different role.

So I start looking at the characters I remember, then start checking out the ones that are new...to me anyways. And I stumble upon Cait. I read up on her, fell in love, want to play her. Decided to look up a guide while the servers were down.

When the servers come up, I think your guide has convinced me to buy her. And yes, I'm posting here simply to tell you that. Oh, and to say....if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to play a game with you against AI and watch what you do on her...or if you have a video hosted somewhere, that would work.

Anyways, thanks so much for the guide. And thank you everyone who has posted, minus the mega-DBs, who engaged in reasonable discussion. This was good reading.
Sure I'd be glad to help! It's currently finals week at school though so you'll have to wait until this weekend but yeah just add me and when I get on I'll accept and we can run some games.

AidanNaut

03-15-2011

I play caitlyn, with ad reds, mp/5 yellows, cdr blues and apen quints.

i usually go with one way or the other on builds

1) start with longsword 1 pot
boots
brutalizer
big friendly sword (XD)
berserker greaves
black cleaver
(usually done)
frozen mallet
atmas impaler

OR

2) meki pendant 2 pots
boots
heart of the goddess
big friendly sword'
berserkers greaves.
manamune
black cleaver
(usually done)
frozen mallet
atmas impaler

I go with build one for the effective 60 apen that will rip any one apart early/mid game with my auto attack, but if i see a need to be using my abilities more often, i go with build two.

Durakk

03-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperness View Post
Sure I'd be glad to help! It's currently finals week at school though so you'll have to wait until this weekend but yeah just add me and when I get on I'll accept and we can run some games.
Sweet, you rock! On a side not, with no intention to hijack this thread, as previously mentioned, I've been out of the game for a bit. When they say "Servers should be up by 11pst..." are they of the mindset "Under promise, over deliver" or do they take Blizzard's approach where a time commitment is more like a running joke in the community and the servers will just arbitrarily, if not magically, reappear and some late in the day time?

Yes, I've been up all night.... /sigh.

Caelasma

03-15-2011

They're not nearly as bad as Blizzard or Square-Enix for that matter. There've been a couple times where I got frustrated because they didn't post an announcement on the forums saying "sorry it'll be just a bit longer" or anything, but half an hour AFTER servers were supposed to come back up, they just subtly changed the time on the server maintenance page. But for the most part. They usually finish maintenances a little early. Or atleast on time. It's never extended too long, either, when it is.

Eledhan

03-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelasma View Post
They're not nearly as bad as Blizzard or Square-Enix for that matter. There've been a couple times where I got frustrated because they didn't post an announcement on the forums saying "sorry it'll be just a bit longer" or anything, but half an hour AFTER servers were supposed to come back up, they just subtly changed the time on the server maintenance page. But for the most part. They usually finish maintenances a little early. Or atleast on time. It's never extended too long, either, when it is.
AND...

In the off-chance it does go on longer than could be reasonably expected, they always compensate their players with things like free IP bonuses, etc.

Riot, as a developer, has always been considerate of their fanbase...since that's all they really have to keep their profits going.