Sniperness' Caitlyn - L2Wanted

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DerDunkelEngel

02-28-2011

Thanks for posting this approach to building Caitlyn. I've been using armor penetration to burn down enemy targets in late game, but between you and Eledhan I'm convinced to try stacking straight attack damage for the early solo mid and snowball from there. I'll give it a shot in my next game.

Wildkarde

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-28-2011

I get what you are saying with AD marks but am curious if you are only taking level 1 stats into account. Wouldnt the enemies quickly have more armor than what your 16 arpen provides?

I can see the benefit at level 1 but I am curious at what level Arpen would surpass flat damage. I have to imagine it would be well before level 6.

Anyways, good guide and discussion! Keep it up! =)

Istanur

03-02-2011

This guide may or may not be good advice for newer players but for those of you expecting a guide that will take you far in ranked you will sadly be dissappointed. I have seen this guide in action by none other than its creator in a 1600-1800 ranked match and to put it lightly, he gave me a free win. Corki completely dominated him mid lane and he was forced into the sidelane where he overextended and gave up three kills in consistent ganks by me as WW. This player has a terrible attitude and according to his entire team, he even began to purposefully feed because he couldn't take the pressure. After the match, he spent a good ten minutes flaming me even though I was calm and just explained to him that I would have to report him for his feeding.

I admit, whoever the enemy team starts to blame in all chat, I single them out and gank them over and over and over just to guarantee a win but just think twice before you use a guide by this guy. I won't respond to any further replies on this thread as I'll probably forget it exists I just thought I'd share my experience with this guide. Just so you all know, I did read the guide and I do think that it's okay, I have seen far worse but it just didn't work out for him.

AIM7Sparrow

03-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istanur View Post
This guide may or may not be good advice for newer players but for those of you expecting a guide that will take you far in ranked you will sadly be dissappointed. I have seen this guide in action by none other than its creator in a 1600-1800 ranked match and to put it lightly, he gave me a free win. Corki completely dominated him mid lane and he was forced into the sidelane where he overextended and gave up three kills in consistent ganks by me as WW. This player has a terrible attitude and according to his entire team, he even began to purposefully feed because he couldn't take the pressure. After the match, he spent a good ten minutes flaming me even though I was calm and just explained to him that I would have to report him for his feeding.

I admit, whoever the enemy team starts to blame in all chat, I single them out and gank them over and over and over just to guarantee a win but just think twice before you use a guide by this guy. I won't respond to any further replies on this thread as I'll probably forget it exists I just thought I'd share my experience with this guide. Just so you all know, I did read the guide and I do think that it's okay, I have seen far worse but it just didn't work out for him.
I won't say anything except:

1. Way to take your personal in-game issues above and beyond.
2. I want to know how you live with yourself spreading such lies just to "get even" at someone. Your parents have definitely failed instilling a sense of morality in you.

AIM7Sparrow

03-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildkarde View Post
I get what you are saying with AD marks but am curious if you are only taking level 1 stats into account. Wouldnt the enemies quickly have more armor than what your 16 arpen provides?

I can see the benefit at level 1 but I am curious at what level Arpen would surpass flat damage. I have to imagine it would be well before level 6.

Anyways, good guide and discussion! Keep it up! =)
I do keep armor gains per level into account. My philosophy with Caitlyn though is to set up an overwhelming early game though. I think that around level 7 the armor penetration runes become more favorable, although I'm not sure. It would be close considering Caitlyn's ult receives a 2:1 AD scaling so the flat damage runes may still be better in that case. But regardless, I like to set-up an aggressive and fast tempo right off the bat at level 1 with auto attacks to let my enemy solo know who's boss and to scare them with hard-hitting auto attacks and Q to the face.

Mind games are very important in the laning phase. When my enemy sees me dishing out the hurt on them at level 1 it makes them reluctant to fight me later in the game.

If this is not your play style however and you prefer to farm then taking those armor pen reds would be a good idea. I warn you though, although this helps your late game, the fact that you weren't aggressive early game might cancel that out completely based on the fact that Caitlyn just doesn't have the base stats other carries do, and therefore you won't be getting that item advantage with a passive play style.

Thanks for your support!

(Also bump cuz I added a nice SS at the end )

torqui

03-04-2011

TBH this sniperness guy is so immature. I'm not even gonna waste my time reading this guide, cuz i know its obviously bad. I dont understand why riot hasnt banned you yet. People like you ruin my time in ranked games. SRY to the community for calling out, i know hes gonna cry about it to the mods, but iMAD

The Soothsayer

03-10-2011

Well.. I took the time to read the guide and every post to follow, and I just want to start off by saying, YES.
I have played Caitlyn since the day she came out, and as I was browsing the area to check the latest ideas hatched by the community since the last patch updated her Ace in the Hole, someone recommended this guide in their post. I thought to check it out, and have found it to be nearly identical to my build and playstyle, down to the tactics used with skills and mind games and all that good stuff.
I do want to add some things that I think might help though.. or at least you might want to give a shot.
Quick tip, which you probably know, but it wasn't listed so here; if you get stuck in a side lane, drop one trap in the river bush to stop ganks and the other either on the edge of a side bush to smack them when they try to take bush control, or at the point they enter the bush near the middle (you gotta watch the enemy player to see where they enter, but its usually the same spot for the same person) and smack them when they enter.
Switching up trap positioning against smart players also helps so they can't adapt efficiently.

I have done the math for a long time and tried all kinds of runes, masteries, items, and all that stuff.. At the end of the day I've chosen to go with mana regen seals and glyphs, and crit damage marks and quints.
Masteries are 21 0 9 so I get 33% crit dmg from runes and masteries.
armor pen is great and all, and I like the idea of the dmg marks, but we can both agree that Caitlyn's early game is beast regardless of those marks. The crit dmg makes a very very significant difference when you take into account her headshot. Yes, armor pen is nice, but it is no where near as effective as more crit damage - I favored armor pen, drew out the charts, and was proven wrong.

For items, I always start with boots of speed and 3 health pots. After that, I go for a pickaxe, then a cloak of agility. After that I get brawler's gloves then a dagger and turn those two into a zeal. Then I turn the pickaxe and cloak of agility into my IE.
The reason I don't go for an early B.F. Sword is because the pickaxe provides a sufficient damage boost, and I want to take early advantage of my crit damage runes and masteries, which makes for a sick strong early harass when you keep landing those crits; solo laning I have those two around level 6 or 7, and side laning with a partner I have it about the same level (I hog the creeps with my last hits, and side laning you level slower = more creeps for the same level, so even though i don't get as many per wave.. well you get it)
After IE I finish out my PD and build the usual sexy things like.. a second phantom dancer, or a banshee veil, or a bloodthirster, or whatever I need. Really all you need is the first PD and your IE. IE needs to be first of course because you need to make the transition from AD earlier game to attack speed later game. Gotta cover the AD first. IE is quite sufficient. The scaling on your skills does have a cap, and it's most efficient not to stack stupid amounts of AD, you just need enough.
I also want to make an absurd suggestion to you; instead of finishing those boots of speed out into berserker's grieves, why don't you do yourself a favor and sell the boots of speed a bit later and replace them with another PD. Absurd? Nah.
After I did the math on it, I found out that I lose a few points of movement speed by having a phantom dancer in place of berserker grieves. On top of that, it gives me an almost maxed crit chance and beautiful attack speed. The tiny bonuses you would get from the boots instead is pitiful in comparison. But yeah, it's still necessary to start with boots of speed for the first half of the game so you don't get hounded down. With it being your 2nd PD, you still move faster than most characters.

On the subject of armor penetration: Don't even bother with a ghostblade. Move speed is nice.. it's also temporary from that item and you would do better to rush a PD for a permanent boost. The armor pen would be nice, but the only enemies you will really need armor pen on are the ones your crits don't already obliterate, which are the tanks. Okay, do the math, it's a simple matter of subtracting the flat armor pen and then taking off 40% from the last whisper you could also get. Then do the math without subtracting the flat amount of armor pen, because you replaced it with that nice crit damage, and then add 40% armor pen. Well, it turns out you will be doing more damage to everyone faster all the time.
As far as having that early armor pen for level one, well you still get 6 armor pen from your masteries and that is quite sufficient for the low levels. Caitlyn excels early game anyways and there's nothing you can do to change that.

I'd ask you give it a try, and be expecting a friend request in game. I'd like to get some 1v1 Caitlyn practice on if you ever have time.
Thanks if you read this far, hope some of it could help =P

The Soothsayer

03-10-2011

Also, I forgot to say I use clarity instead of investing in a manamune. This allows me to keep spamming for long team fights in mid, tower pushes, etc.
It also allows me to trick my opponents into thinking I am out of mana then suddenly unleashing from full when I hit lvl 6

Lans89

03-13-2011

I would like to say that you are AMAZING and your Annie guide was the best thing that could ever happen to me when I started to play this game. Im considering buying Caitlyn now.
Congrats on the penta, I hope I can get one someday.

Greetings from Hounduras <3

AIM7Sparrow

03-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lans89 View Post
I would like to say that you are AMAZING and your Annie guide was the best thing that could ever happen to me when I started to play this game. Im considering buying Caitlyn now.
Congrats on the penta, I hope I can get one someday.

Greetings from Hounduras <3
Wow thanks a lot, I really do appreciate that. I'm glad the time and effort I put into my guides really helps people out.

Good luck!!