English only servers

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ellye

Senior Member

01-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroin Addicted View Post
i agree with the OP... and to the guy saying that we should learn the language, why am i gunna learn a language just to play a game, if anything they should learn. and btw most of the non- english speaking people i play with or against are the hugest jerks.
You do realize that every single non-native English or Japanese speaker in the world has to learn a language to play games, right?
I have fluent English because I wanted to play Final Fantasy - true and nerdy story.

And I won't even comment on the elitism of the rest of your post - just hope you know that you're the one sounding like a giant jerk.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Snedsdawg

Junior Member

01-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroin Addicted View Post
i agree with the OP... and to the guy saying that we should learn the language, why am i gunna learn a language just to play a game, if anything they should learn. and btw most of the non- english speaking people i play with or against are the hugest jerks.
Not only is that immensly offensive, but also inaccurate.

You say that you should not have to learn a new language to play Lol, but in the same sentence you say that other non english speaking players should have to learn english.

I've found more non english speaking people who are easier to play with (And more competant) than most other english speaking players.

To say that just because someone doesn't speak english they are generally worse players or even jerks just shows your lack of understanding about how the world works.. There are other countries in the world besides the one you happen to live in (America I'll assume).

I agree with OP. The only way this problem is going to go away is if Riot opens more servers to accomodate for other non english speaking countries.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Firellius

Senior Member

01-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arecanderu View Post
and how would you stop spanish speakers to get in your "english" server?I mean, I have friends that play DotA but donīt speak english and some of them want to play LoL (1 or 2 I think) so what should I say to them?, "no, because you donīt speak english so you canīt play it"? we arenīt enough to make a 5 premade (the others just donīt like LoLīs graphics >_>)
Well, you are on English servers. You need at the very least basic communication such as mias or requesting that certain items be bought. (Oracle, wards)

It's very rude to speak anything other than English in public chat channels on this server, because you're a guest on an English-speaking server. If you're invited over for dinner by an English host, you're not gonna babble away in Spanish, are you?

I'm a guest on this server as well, and I act the part. I only speak Dutch to communicate messages between non-dutch speakers and non-english speakers, otherwise I stick strictly to English. I speak Dutch in private channels, not in a place where I can annoy people by saying things while they have no idea what I am saying.

Generally, it's fine if you don't talk much. Just call your mias, request wards, request oracles, whatever. But it's annoying other people on your team when you and your friend fill up the chat with incomprehensible messages that might very well be about a teammate. And since you're on English-speaking servers, English speaking players have every right to demand you stop talking that language in public chat.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Frank the Golem

Senior Member

01-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroin Addicted View Post
i agree with the OP... and to the guy saying that we should learn the language, why am i gunna learn a language just to play a game, if anything they should learn. and btw most of the non- english speaking people i play with or against are the hugest jerks.
First of all, I didn't say you should learn the language. I specifically stated that you very well might not, but it's at least something to consider as an alternative. If *you* have a problem, *you* can take steps to fix it instead of just whining to somebody else to fix it for you.

Secondly, I'd suggest you take whatever reason you can find to learn a language. I'm not even good at learning languages, but it has vastly improved my understanding of the world, culture, and how to interact with people. If a suggestion from a gamer or the option of gaming better gets you to learn a language, well that's just awesome as far as I'm concerned.

Furthermore, you're coming off as the jerk here--not saying you are, but certainly that it's how your message is coming across. I speak less than fifty words of Portuguese and have been matched with Brazilians in several games. It's amazing how much more willing we are to work with each other when each of us makes an attempt to communicate in the other's language, even if it's terrible.

Lastly, there are jerks in every language. The biggest trolls I've ever had the displeasure of being teamed with or against have unilaterally been fellow citizens of the United States. Stop making my country look bad.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Timestop

Senior Member

01-30-2011

+1'd before I even read the thread.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

zomgnowai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-30-2011

i say yes. u dont see english only speaking players trying to get there way into the asian servers, and then get pissed becuz they dont speak english back at u, or going to the EU and ONLY speak italian becuz maybe a small select handful speak it

same for here, i would say atleast 90% of us (on the NA server) speak english fluently, and its a common curtisy that if u play on a server or a game, that has a vast majority of 1 language, that u either learn it or move on.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Firellius

Senior Member

01-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Golem View Post
If *you* have a problem, *you* can take steps to fix it instead of just whining to somebody else to fix it for you.
Have to step in here, for this is dead wrong.

If someone sets your house on fire, who do you think is the one who has to take the steps to fix the issue?

You can't put all responsibility on the one who has the problem, as the one who is the problem is partly responsible as well. Yes, sometimes it's easier for the one who has to problem to fix it on his side.

But it's downright rude to demand it in this situation. These are the NA servers. Anyone from anywhere else is a guest and should act as such. If they cause a problem, they have to fix it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kekou

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firellius View Post
Well, you are on English servers. You need at the very least basic communication such as mias or requesting that certain items be bought. (Oracle, wards)

It's very rude to speak anything other than English in public chat channels on this server, because you're a guest on an English-speaking server. If you're invited over for dinner by an English host, you're not gonna babble away in Spanish, are you?

I'm a guest on this server as well, and I act the part. I only speak Dutch to communicate messages between non-dutch speakers and non-english speakers, otherwise I stick strictly to English. I speak Dutch in private channels, not in a place where I can annoy people by saying things while they have no idea what I am saying.

Generally, it's fine if you don't talk much. Just call your mias, request wards, request oracles, whatever. But it's annoying other people on your team when you and your friend fill up the chat with incomprehensible messages that might very well be about a teammate. And since you're on English-speaking servers, English speaking players have every right to demand you stop talking that language in public chat.
Excuse me... When I downloaded the game it said to choose between the EU and North American clients. Last time I checked, English wasn't the only language spoken in North America. I believe French and Spanish are also spoken.

My native language is Spanish. I agree to a certain point that playing a team game with little to no communication is hard. Pings can take you so far, but when strategy and a coherent plan comes to mind, it is way easier to get it on wheels if everyone on your team understands what you're saying.

I support a language filter, but in no case do I support spoiled people ranting and demeaning players for their origins in a game... Unless it's for the lulz, then cool.

TL;DR: Languages spoken in North America: French, English and Spanish. Also, +1 for Language Filters.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DotEleven

Senior Member

01-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by zomgnowai View Post
i say yes. u dont see english only speaking players trying to get there way into the asian servers, and then get pissed becuz they dont speak english back at u, or going to the EU and ONLY speak italian becuz maybe a small select handful speak it

same for here, i would say atleast 90% of us (on the NA server) speak english fluently, and its a common curtisy that if u play on a server or a game, that has a vast majority of 1 language, that u either learn it or move on.
Well, the difference between people speaking Spanish on the American server and someone speaking English on the Asian server is that America doesn't JUST include the US. America also covers Mexico, which speaks Spanish primarily, and Canada which also speaks French.

I don't know much about Asian languages but I do believe that Chinese and Japanese are two different languages and as far as you know it's quite possible that they have this same language barrier for their teams.

Now if there were English only servers then yes, I'd be a bit annoyed if there were those speaking a different language among them, however the fact is that the servers are not just for English speaking people.

Honestly, if it's such a problem for you that people are speaking a different language, why don't you try learning theirs? After all, from what I've heard English is the hardest second language to learn.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Frank the Golem

Senior Member

01-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firellius View Post
Have to step in here, for this is dead wrong.

If someone sets your house on fire, who do you think is the one who has to take the steps to fix the issue?

You can't put all responsibility on the one who has the problem, as the one who is the problem is partly responsible as well. Yes, sometimes it's easier for the one who has to problem to fix it on his side.

But it's downright rude to demand it in this situation. These are the NA servers. Anyone from anywhere else is a guest and should act as such. If they cause a problem, they have to fix it.
The problem you're referring to is called "blaming the victim", such as blaming a rape victim because of the way she was dressed. There are some flaws in your comparison.

Non-English speakers did not metaphorically set your house on fire.

The responsibility is not on English-only speakers any more than non-English speakers. Both can take the time and effort to learn a language, but most non-US people aren't so vehemently opposed to learning a new language. In fact, many people speak at least a little English--though possibly not a series of abbreviations used in a specific game's terminology. Let's turn it around, though: if somebody is insulting, yelling at and cursing at me in Spanish, am I likely to want to talk to them?

Now, briefly, let me respond to your accusations. I am not dead wrong, I am not putting "all responsibility" on anybody, I am not being rude, and I am not demanding anything of anyone. It's your responsibility to monitor how you communicate with people. It's my responsibility to monitor mine and to remain civil even when I'm being called out.

These *are* American servers, absolutely, but this comes with several key qualifiers.
1. There *aren't* South American servers, so the "American servers" aren't "North America only" servers.
2. Even if they were "North America only" servers, Mexico and Canada (including Quebec) are part of "North America", so you can't get rid of non-English speakers with that argument.
3. You can set the game to Spanish, German or French even here, so it's not an "English only" game to begin with.
4. Anyone from anywhere else is a guest. That means we are their hosts. Don't be a bad host, you're making my country look bad.