Runes for Mages(read: idiots)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lyta Reimalken

01-17-2010

I've played as Shaco a lot in the past, and very much enjoyed it, and over time have built up a decent runepage of tier 3s to support a physical dps character. These days however I am falling in love with Zilean, and this rather dubious relationship has left me in need of advice.

Obviously my crit chance and suchlike runes are hardly much use with zilean, even if his auto attack has a range most battleships would kill for.

Can anyone reccomend me a rune build that benefits a caster, I have the funds idling to purchase a few runes and get my 2nd page up and running, but I dont really want to waste the opportunity on **** runes...

Are the magic pen. runes good enough to be useful? Is the AP gain from runes worth a ****? (it looks kinda shoddy to me) I suppose you could take CD reduction on the reds, but the CD reduction looked far superior on the other colours.

Seriously, advice very much requested

sleels

01-17-2010

I pretty much play AP characters exclusively and I use:

Magic Pen on Reds
HP on Yellow
CD Reduction or AP on Blue

Works well for me

Kelin

01-17-2010

Red: Magic Pen.
Blue: CDR or ap/lvl
Yellow: Dodge/health/lvl/mana reg
Quenteces: Health, AP/lvl

BTW Zilean is a support, CDR is important as you basically need to save people/speed em up/slow enemy down.

My build would be:
Blue: CDR/lvl (+masteries = 8% + 11% = 19% from masteries + runes, rest come from items)
Yellow: Mana Regen, or if mana is no problem (I never play zilean) Health/LVL
Quenteces: Health (flat). He is so squishy early on
Red: Magic Pen

SomeoneRandom

01-17-2010

For zilean its quite simple... he only needs 2 stats... mana regen and survivability...

Red : Mp5
Yellow : Dodge (should be dodge on 100% of rune pages anyways)
Blue : Mp5 / lvl
Quint : Health

This mp5 should give you enough regen with a chalice that you never need another regen item.... especially once you get your glacial shroud

Baron Corm

01-17-2010

Zilean has quite an amazing AP ratio of 1.2 on his Time Bombs. I would go for full AP per level runes. They give you about 17 AP at level 1, which is decent for harassing, and about 73 AP at level 18, which can make a significant difference.

Magic Penetration runes will net you about 20 MP at all levels. This is very nice as well, but I find it better on champions with bad AP ratios like Annie.

It's up to you which of these to pick, but I wouldn't pick anything other than these two. Zilean does absolutely nothing but revive his teammates unless you pimp out his Time Bombs, in which case he becomes a very respectable nuker.