Need a strategic phase guide.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

II Zer0 II

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-17-2010

First I would like to disclaim that I'm no expert on this game and only been playing the game for a few weeks. But I've been playing DotA for 6 years and I am very well familiar with each phase of the game.

What I feel as an elite DotA player is, I'm hitting a plateau here in LOL. Mostly by my teammates. As I'm trying to gain higher elo, I'm bound to get paired with teammates whom are new to MOBA games. I'm not saying they're extremely bad, feeding the enemy is one problem. But I'm referring to another problem here. Many of these new players (in reference to overall experience in MOBA game, not particularly with this game) are actually very good at tactical phase, some are even better than me in tactical phase.

Then this is a problem, I do mentioned that they are good at tactical phase. But from several of my elo range games, most of them get cocky later on after a big success in earlier tactical phase of the game and when the flow shifted to strategic phase later on, some of them will utterly fail because they did not understand the change of flow in the game. They will use the same tactical playing style which sometimes lead to complete shutdown of themselves and wipeout of the rest of their team.

Then there stem 2 routes from this point. First route some of them will adapt by themselves and continue to own the game, some will need a bit of advices in-game and they'll continue owning. The second route, the rest, they gave those money they earned earlier back to the opposing team.

So if anybody could write up a guide about the changing flow and different phases of the game it could be a great material for self-improvement for newbies.

(Although some might argue why dont I do this myself, I'll have to tell you that I'm still new to this particular game so somebody else will be able to do better, plus that English's not my native language)

boni

01-17-2010

I'm not going to write a guide, but you should try to lead them (ping+communication). If you utilize teamwork (and often they WILL follow you) you can still beat the enemy.

II Zer0 II

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-17-2010

I'm not sure about your situation boni, maybe you are in a higher elo range than mine. But for me, there are so many times people just don't follow anybody else's lead. Some people just refuse to listen but that's not the group we're talking about here.

The group we're talking about is the group that's trying to improve themselves but sometimes with the pressure of the game and limited time, there's no efficient way of conveying elaborated plan for them. So my bet is if there's anybody creating a guide some of them will be going to do better in the game.

Shatterlight

01-17-2010

I used to be like that. :P As Fiddlesticks, I'm an amazing earlygame powerhouse. I was failing in the midgame though, because I wasn't recognizing the transition in the flow of the match, and I kept on playing as if I were that level 4 who could get double kills solo. It would be nice if a pro could write up a guide, because I know it took me a while to figure out the transition of style needed.

Zer0, your English is better than most people who speak it as a primary language. If you wrote a guide about it, I'm sure you could do a good job.

EDIT:
Agree totally with Morteth, mate. I do hope you find the time to write it whenever you are confident enough in your experience of League of Legends to do so. It IS a problem for a lot of people, especially those playing certain champions (ie me and Fiddlesticks), and a guide on this would be VERY nice to read.

Morteth

01-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by II Zer0 II View Post
First I would like to disclaim that I'm no expert on this game and only been playing the game for a few weeks. But I've been playing DotA for 6 years and I am very well familiar with each phase of the game.

What I feel as an elite DotA player is, I'm hitting a plateau here in LOL. Mostly by my teammates. As I'm trying to gain higher elo, I'm bound to get paired with teammates whom are new to MOBA games. I'm not saying they're extremely bad, feeding the enemy is one problem. But I'm referring to another problem here. Many of these new players (in reference to overall experience in MOBA game, not particularly with this game) are actually very good at tactical phase, some are even better than me in tactical phase.

Then this is a problem, I do mentioned that they are good at tactical phase. But from several of my elo range games, most of them get cocky later on after a big success in earlier tactical phase of the game and when the flow shifted to strategic phase later on, some of them will utterly fail because they did not understand the change of flow in the game. They will use the same tactical playing style which sometimes lead to complete shutdown of themselves and wipeout of the rest of their team.

Then there stem 2 routes from this point. First route some of them will adapt by themselves and continue to own the game, some will need a bit of advices in-game and they'll continue owning. The second route, the rest, they gave those money they earned earlier back to the opposing team.

So if anybody could write up a guide about the changing flow and different phases of the game it could be a great material for self-improvement for newbies.

(Although some might argue why dont I do this myself, I'll have to tell you that I'm still new to this particular game so somebody else will be able to do better, plus that English's not my native language)

I encourage you to write the guide yourself. You seem very articulate for not knowing English from the get-go. (seems like a lot of people who aren't native English speakers type it better than many of those who are English natives)

You certainly have enough knowledge with six years of DotA to apply that information in this game, and can probably write up a very nice guide as well. I never played DotA but it seems that both are pretty parallel when it comes to many things, this being one of them.

I hope you can get that guide going. You seem like you can do it, you're pretty aware of it yourself and I sure as hell don't know enough to write anything up on it. xD

KCao

01-17-2010

When you are referring to phase shifts, would you mean in general an early game, mid game, and end game or are you just referring to just how to act (when to go agressive and when to play safely)? If its the first, then I should just say that early game is a time when you are farming to get kills and leveling up. At level 6 when you get your ulti, you should be at your ganking prime in which you go off-lane to kill. When you approach 13-18, you are nearing end game in which you or your opponents have formed a decent amount of items to go into their intended builds and in which teams are usually playing as a group and not going off by themselves. This is where team battles are and generally, a squishie who owned early to mid game should not initiate but rather a tank.

If you are talking about the second, then in general go aggressive early game to outlevel your opponent (gank; otherwise farm if you can't) and then hit mid game in which you should be still aggressive but more ganking as a team. Late game you would be careful and try not to initiate a battle unless you are sure you can help and not just die off. Try to kill off any persons soloing by themselves yet be weary of whether he is baiting your team into an ambush; for this, you must have map awareness. Don't attack him unless you have your entire team there and the opposing team is still in sight of minions. Avoid getting aced mid-late game because that is when the other team can push hard and completely devastate the flow of a game.

If you want tactics then just gank/ feed your "carry" champions and remember to destroy/push lane turrets. There are other strategies like backdooring in which while the opposing team is doing baron or attacking a lane, a strong turret destroyer can go take down a different lane turret and push to base while your team defends a turret. Then when the other team tries to defend, the "backdoorer" can leave and be safe. There are other strategies like blood for blood in which when a team pushes, you push to see who can defend better late game or something like that. There is also camping baron to see if they come to get it and then ace them there. Again, there are multiple strategies that provides a win or a good defense. Just continually play LoL and you will get a hang of these.

Lastly I'd like to point out I don't personally think of myself as a high elo player but knowing general strategies does not make you a know it all or an expert, its common sense most of the time. Also, if there are some issues in this post, feel free to point it out. I consider myself human and admit to making mistakes alot. Hope this helps answer you in some way.