Which role for which hero? PDF in the making, ideas?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MelofMovement

01-28-2011

Hey everyone!

I'm making a PDF to help newbs to know what their role is in the team. LOL is a team game and without knowing what your role is I feel like you are lining up for failure. The PDF will have all champions on it and their main and sub roles. I've been playing for a while but I know there are much more experienced players out there and I would love all of your input. I want this to be extremely informative and accurate.

I'm coming up the the best way to categorize champions so that newbs can understand their role in the game As well as any other information that you think will make this informative "Know your role" PDF that much more useful.

If you could comment and let me know the best and most informative way to categorize champions I will be eternally grateful.

Here is what I had in mind...
Ranged Carry, Mage Carry, Support, Tank, Assassin, Pusher, Jungler, Initiator, Clean up.

As simple and easy to follow as possible thanks again for all your ideas!

Thanks in advance! You rock!

RunNGun

01-28-2011

Id rename ranged carry to ranged and ap carry to ap nuke, combine assassin and pusher to dps. also i like the clean up, because some ppl dont realize that chars like yi are just better at hanging back till someone initiates, but on the other hand most of these chars would fall under dps and most dps chars dont initiate which would make them clean up chars anyway.

OptimusPrimate

01-29-2011

I'm assuming that you will put a detailed description next to each of the categories that tells exactly what that role is?

I would add babysitter to the list. Lux is a cool support champ, but she's not exactly a babysitter like Janna or Soraka.

MelofMovement

01-29-2011

Thanks so much, Clarification before undertaking a task is much easier than after.
Its a great idea to put a description with the different roles. Thank you both very much!

Chronoblivion

01-30-2011

Many champs can fulfill many roles; some simultaneously, some exclusively dependent upon build. Make note of which are primary/intended/mainstream roles (e.g. Alistar as Tank, Tristana as AD Carry). You might also include an "Experimental/Situational Roles" section for circumstantially viable builds (e.g. Alistar as AD turret bulldozer, Tristana as AP/AD hybrid). Also, what criteria are you using to categorize the champions? Some champs that are traditionally thought of as fitting a certain role could be seen as filling others based on their abilities; Nasus has 3 separate abilities that can debuff opponents, yet he's typically seen as Tank, AD, or a hybrid of the two, not as a Support.

Speaking of which, Support is a very broad category that many champs fit into. You might consider breaking it down into Buffer/Healer and Debuffer/Disabler.

This is an admirable undertaking, but the game already has a simplified version of this built into it. You might want to shift your focus more towards the roles themselves rather than the champions. Describe what a good Initiator does, how it's done, and why it's necessary. Explain the benefits and risks of having a Jungler. You might also consider basing it around the three main item build types: Defense, Attack, or Magic, then listing the roles (Support, Jungler, etc.) based on that.

ryzeonline

01-30-2011

That is one of the best responses I've read on this forum sir. Good on you Chronoblivion

And I whole-heartedly agree with everything said. I'm psyched to see how this evolves, it will help soooo many.

Carados

01-30-2011

Those aren't actually the actual roles in the game, though, so your idea is flawed from the start.

I mean, "clean up" and "assassin?"

Try this:

Initiator, Disabler, Carry, Nuker, and Support.

Unless you can justify what a tank does that is seperate from an initiator...

Pusher and jungler and such are sub-roles.

I did something like this forever ago:

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=128840