[Guide] Jungle Udyr

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Takomancer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2010

1. Jungle Udyr

Quote:
Quote:
Video of Jungle Udyr starting with golem then lizard:
http://www.xfire.com/video/1f09fd/

Skill Build:

1) Turtle Stance (W)
2) Bear Stance (E) - this is to prevent enemy junglers and to stun golem/lizard at start
3) Phoenix Stance (R)
4) Turtle Stance (W)
5) Pheonix Stance (R)
6) Turtle Stance (W)
7) Pheonix Stance (R)
8) Turtle Stance (W)
9) Pheonix Stance (R)
10) Turtle Stance (W) - maxed out
11) Phoenix Stance (R) - maxed out
12) Bear Stance (E)
13) Bear Stance (E)
14) Bear Stance (E)
15) Bear Stance (E) - maxed out
16) Tiger Stance (Q)
17) Tiger Stance (Q)
18) Tiger Stance (Q) - no one cares about tiger stance :}

Item Build order #1:

1) Cloth Armor + 5 potions
2) Madred's Razors (as soon as you get this go to dragon)
3) Berserker's Greaves
4) Sheen
5) Trinity Force
6) Warmog - game ends before i build this or right after i get this (around 25 min mark)
7) Frozen Mallet
8) Guardian Angel
9) Madred's Bloodrazor

Item Build order #2:
1) Cloth Armor + 5 potions
2) Madred's Razors (as soon as you get this go to dragon)
3) Berserker's Greaves
4) Sheen
5) Frozen Mallet
6) Guardian Angel
7) Trinity Force
8) Warmog
9) Madred's Bloodrazor

New Item build: tested out in test realm after nerf
1) cloth + 5 pots (i've tested this out and it still works jungling)
2) madred's Razor
3) berserker's Greaves
4) sheen
5) madred's Bloodrazor (since the phoenix nerf, i felt like getting this first and it worked really well)
6) malady (ya it sucks, now i have to get malady udyr's attack speed went down by a whole new lvl so now i have to rely on malady
7) frozen mallet

Recommended Runes:

Marks: Crit Chance
Seals: Mana/ Mana Regen (helpful in early game)
Glyphs: Cooldown Reduction Per lvl
Quint: Crit Chance

*note: this is just my preference. Crit chance is really nice in early games and even in the late games. You can do some serious damage with it as well as farming. Also, I always had problem with mana in early games. When you are constantly switching stances, you are bound to notice lack of mana even when you are switching to turtle stance. Therefore I picked this mana runes specifically to cover that. Cooldown reduction is very nice because you want to switch between different stances quickly to proc sheen.

Abilities

1. Smite - This is a must for junglers, it will increase your efficiency in jungling and stealing buffs.
2. Rally - This is debatable. Rather than taking rally, I could take Cleanse instead, but rally helps you grab lizard right after killing golem.

How to play Jungle Udyr:
1. Go to the Golem location and smite it first. Then chug down a potion and spam turtle stance.
2. Go to the lizard and drop down a rally and spam turtle stance. Your smite should be up when the lizard is at half health. Also use potions left over from killing golem
3. After farming 700 gold from jungling, get a madred's razor and kill dragon.
4. when you are battling an enemy opponent, use bear stance to stun whenever you can and go back to phoenix + turtle stance.

*important note: if one of your lane is pushed out too far because you are jungling, you can't ignore this and jungle. Go help your team
2. Normal Udyr GUide
Quote:
more to come

kebrus

01-17-2010

thx i wanted to try a jungle udyr but wasn't sure of what to take with me

Grovel

01-17-2010

Anything special/different/usually about your runes/masteries?

twiggy

01-17-2010

this doesnt acually work....golem kills udyr at lvl 1, unless im missing something

ThatFatGuy

01-17-2010

It's actually possible to cycle through the whole jungle slightly faster by getting the same items, but phoenix stance first. Also, I believe you do not need rally to kill lizard if you farm wraith and an easy spawn first. I have done this many times with no runes and only 10 mastery points. It is a bit risky, though, because you are at very low health most of the time.

EDIT: Seems you cleared up why you get rally first. For the record I haven't actually tried turtle first, it looks much safer though, especially with the rally.

Ghostraider

01-17-2010

5 potions is unnecessary when jungling with Udyr 3 is all you need neither is Rally which you have mentioned I reccomend taking ghost or cleanse. I disagree with going straight for sheen/Trinity force personally I go with attack speed item first usually Starks or malady if somone else has starks it really helps get them phoenix procs off and helps immensely with pushing lane and taking towers plus additional life steal is always nice your not always going to be in Turtle.

I found the best way to jungle with Udyr is to start golem first then creep camp next to golem, wraiths then lizard then the other creep camp should then be about 10-20 gold from madred's port back wait a few seconds to purchase it then head down to dragon. I have an xp rune on so i hit about lv4 when all creep camps are done with.

discomatt

01-17-2010

Sword of the Divine is another great early Udyr item.

Phoenix + SotD = 3rd attack AoE, 4th Attack 100 dmg to target.

Grabbed it against a Jax, and really liked it overall.

It makes Madred's Bloodrazor a little overkill for attack speed, so I go Bloodthirster after Trinity.

Darkening

01-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostraider View Post
5 potions is unnecessary when jungling with Udyr 3 is all you need neither is Rally which you have mentioned I reccomend taking ghost or cleanse. I disagree with going straight for sheen/Trinity force personally I go with attack speed item first usually Starks or malady if somone else has starks it really helps get them phoenix procs off and helps immensely with pushing lane and taking towers plus additional life steal is always nice your not always going to be in Turtle.

I found the best way to jungle with Udyr is to start golem first then creep camp next to golem, wraiths then lizard then the other creep camp should then be about 10-20 gold from madred's port back wait a few seconds to purchase it then head down to dragon. I have an xp rune on so i hit about lv4 when all creep camps are done with.
Run-on sentences ftw.

Grovel

01-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
this doesnt acually work....golem kills udyr at lvl 1, unless im missing something
Been trying to do this with mixed results. I'm only a 14 lvl summoner with no runes and it seems like you need a bit of luck to bring the Golem down (he does crit you, no?).

First time I tried, I killed him, but haven't been able to bring him down since. I pop turtle, open with smite, pop a pot as soon as it lets me, spam turtle, drink 2nd pot as soon as first wears off. I assume my mixed success is a matter of Golem + minions criting, as turtle keeps me from criting, basically removing any variables for success on my end.

You definitely need points in Awareness (4/4?) because you wont ding lvl 2 without it. 3/3 Hardiness (+6 armor) is probably a given, I also had 3/3 Resistance (+6MR) and 3/3 Perseverence (+4% health/mana regen).

I think it's a given you need to get Golem first, or you wont have the mana to farm any more without going back to town.

I'd be interested hear if anyone else has success following a different approach using no runes and minimal masteries. I have a feeling this approach is really only consistently doable as a higher summoner + runes.

Queen ezmode

01-17-2010

what ive found works is from another post, forgot who to attribute credit for cus i read it a couple days ago... looked through the past 15 pages but couldn't for the life of me find the post again. but the gist of it is:

start with elixir of agi and 5 health pots. with smite and X for your summoner skils (i use ghost to chase people since smite gets kinda lame late game).

The skill build he used was:
Phoenix
Turtle
Phoenix
Turtle
Bear (to help with ganks here and there)
and however you want to finish it up.

I usually start with either the 2 golem pack or wolves. For the 2 golem pack, i engage with smite, pop agi elixier and a health pot and pheonix them to death. If i find wolves first i just pop agi pot, health pot and phoenix spam. by the time you kill 2 creep packs, you should need more mana so i blue pill, kill the wraith pack, blue pill again, buy sapphire, then go for the mana golem. By that time, smite is up again and im lvl 3, so i just open with smite and phoenix/turtle spam til it dies. from there, jungling is a breeze. Takes a little longer but its a sure way to win.

With this jungling strat ive gone like 18-2 23-2 24-4 or something like that every game. I might not get first blood but i have carried teams where my teammates are like 0-9 0-10 and stuff. Pretty ridiculous imo. Very easy too. One game i had to compete for jungle vs a warwick but ended up owning him both in farms and kills from lv 5 on. Don't quite know if thats a testament to his player skill vs mine or just the opness of udyr. Likely the latter lol.

edit: found the post. its the 4th post on this thread, http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=47605

the one in the big ass quote box.