Rusty Blitzcrank Skin Leaving the Store, Now 25% Off

First Riot Post
1234567 ... 13
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

maxifer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneoftheorder View Post
I am curious and uncertain why Riot would remove a skin at all (save holiday skins, for which it makes sense to be seasonal.) That seems odd.

This viewpoint I do not understand though... sales are a long tradition among retailer everywhere and in all contexts... how is this any different?
I assume they didn't have enough sell (considering he's barely different) so they're removing him and hoping that more sell because of that.

DProism

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCrumb View Post
Attention all LoLers! The Rusty Blitzcrank skin will no longer be available for purchase after January 17th. This is your last chance to add this skin to your inventory before it leaves the Store. To celebrate Rusty's last weekend, we are offering the skin for 25% off.

Rusty Blitzcrank skin (previously 520 RP), now only 390 RP!

Don’t miss out on adding these charming digs for everyone’s favorite metal man. After this weekend, the Rusty Blitzcrank skin will be locked away in the Riot vault and will no longer be able for purchase in the Store.

Note: As with the holiday skins, you can continue to use the Rusty Blitzcrank skin after it has been discontinued, but only if you have purchased it.
i completly support them doing this not only does it make people want to buy it before it goes away but it gives everyone the oppertunity to own one time thing besides everyother game company does sales like this also

Addfwyn

01-16-2010

I think the sale is a fine idea, it's like people here have never heard of sales or discounts before.

Before you argue it isn't a physical product, Steam has sales all the time and people LOVE them for it. Nobody complains that they bought something when it wasn't on sale.

My problem is that it just isn't that great a skin to begin with. I'd like to see more diverse skins that don't just look like a palette swap.

Either some of the cool homage type ones (White Mage Veigar, Bowser Rammus) or the total model revamps (Corki).

Ashblade

01-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addfwyn View Post

Before you argue it isn't a physical product, Steam has sales all the time and people LOVE them for it. Nobody complains that they bought something when it wasn't on sale.

steam does have sales and yes people actually do get upset just steam doesnt have threads on their forums that anybody who works there reads let alone their forums at all lol

Stexe

Adjudicator

01-16-2010

The reason they are doing this is probably to increase sales. They figure sales on this skin have dwindled to nearly nothing and they want to spice up the sales. One way to do that is through sales. Another is by making it limited. Doing both will surely dramatically increase the sales of the skin -- although I'm not sure giving such a short notice is a good plan. I would have let the sale go on for a week or so, but whatever.

I bought it just because I'm a sucker for sales and limited things. But still... it seems kind of sudden...

Is this something that is going to be happening with the rest of the skins in the shop or are you guys just experimenting to see the difference in sales %s with the discounts and limited edition stuff?

Stexe

Adjudicator

01-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashblade View Post
steam does have sales and yes people actually do get upset just steam doesnt have threads on their forums that anybody who works there reads let alone their forums at all lol
That's incorrect. Steam does have forums for basically each game, and I do see employees read and post there. Also, I see people getting "pissed" at buying a game at full price and then it went on sale -- that happens everywhere, but it is just life. You can't do much to stop it, so why worry about it so much? People just like to complain and stand in their own little spotlight. Just ignore them and they will move on.

Stexe

Adjudicator

01-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hye Circus View Post
Riot your poor decision making knows no bounds. I have another round of seals to finish, then I was buying Blitz. After buying Blitz, I was going to buy his Rusty skin.

But now, since the skin is (for some reason) leaving the store, looks like you miss out on my money. I can't buy the skin without Blitz. And, if skins are going to be leaving the store, it just kills my desire for skins in general.

But you're the ones who know what you're doing. And apparently, you sure know how to piss off the consumer.
I agree. You should be able to buy the skin and not the Champion. From a business perspective there is no reason NOT to do this (except for silly people complaining that they thought they would get the Champion too, which you could have a small disclaimer up).

I had to grind to buy Niadlee with IP, just so I could buy her skin. Would have rather just bought her skin and worked on unlocking her later on. I mean you can still use her and her skin if you don't have her unlocked during her free weeks... so come on already! Let us buy skins for Champs we don't have unlocked!

Lawful Cupcake

01-16-2010

Haha, how ironic that I bought this just yesterday. Not really that irked though, I just find it funny.

My name is Mark

01-16-2010

My rusty blitz just became limited edition. #### YEA!

TehOwn

01-16-2010

The WHOLE POINT of limited edition, is that it's limited.

Less people own it, making it more desirable.

Imagine you have this skin and you're like "look at me, I'm awesome." but everyone has it, they're just gonna say, "lol, everyone has that skin, noob."...

But if you have a skin that hasn't been in the store for months and hardly anyone has it...

Imagine there had been 100 original Mona Lisa paintings done, do you think the value would be more?

The Rusty Steam Golem skin is really not a very good skin. It's not much of a change, it doesn't look that great, it sure as hell doesn't look like rust.

By dropping the price and saying it's going to be limited edition, they have massively increased demand for two reasons.

1. It's 25% cheaper!
2. It'll be limited edition and you will seem awesome to new players who can't buy it.

The only reason people buy skins is to show them off to other people. If you do it purely for yourself, then you're a dumbass, as it's perfectly simple to mod the original skins without paying RP.

-- For instance...

I like the Goth Annie skin, but I cannot get it without purchasing the DCP. I have purchased the standard CP and will not buy the DCP... but because the skin is limited edition, some people will buy it JUST TO GET THE SKIN!!

1234567 ... 13