Tips on Ryze

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KTangerine

01-15-2010

I've only recently started playing ryze, and im trying my best to follow the item, rune, skill guides that are up for ryze, even though there are only a couple that are online.

I was wondering, how does ryze do like 3k dmg in like 3 seconds? whats that combo? cause i see other ryzes completely destroy other champions with it.

thanks!

Volf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2010

It really depends on your build, but as an experienced Ryze player what i tend to do is not only lvl 2 of my spells but all of them, that is where the massive combo comes out.

what i tend to do is keep rune prison at lvl 2 and equally lvl the other 2 (depending on how the game is going, sometimes 1 more than the other), i use flash so whenever i see an opportunity say when i'm lvl 10, i would flash next to the enemy with my ulti on then rune prison and spell flux quickly then tossing overload while spell flux is still bouncing (lvl 2 rune prison would give your spell flux enough time to go there and back to do maximum damage) then immediately begin to auto attack and run with him for my overload c/d and finish him if he's not already dead. I get Lich Bane with him as well so that my next auto attack does a lot of damage (its like adding an extra spell to your combo).

kinda hard to explain through text but i hope this helped.

Consider this spell build.

Spell Flux
Rune Prison
Spell Flux
Rune Prison
Spell Flux
Desperate Power
Overload
Overload
Overload
Spell Flux
Desperate Power
Overload
Overload
Spell Flux
Rune Prison
Desperate Power
Rune Prison
Rune Prison

(if you want you can change from getting Spell Flux first to overload, they are both good to lvl first)

As i said before though it depends on the way the game is going, sometimes you may need a lvl 3 rune prison earlier there etc.

As for item build, make your own up to suite your own style of play, and btw cooldown reduction works! =P

Devil May LOL

01-16-2010

There's a cooldown reduction ryze guide that works perfectly for me.
The trick with ryze is to approach your target 1v1 (without and creeps preferably), then just spam your whole combo in his face. Remember you need to 1v1 him in order to maximize the dmg of your spell flux, if there are creeps around, turn on ulti and hope for a good bounce. If there are no creep, flash to him then spam, if it's a squishy carry they will die instantly.
Ryze is a good ganker with flash, he is ridiculously strong with a few lvl advantage so I recommend you solo mid if possible.
I recommend rushing tears then cooldown reduction items on him, if you are roaming a lot, since they help your mana pool and reduce your ulti cd.
The guide is here
http://leagueoflegends.com/board/sho...d.php?p=356078

DoomManufact

01-16-2010

Usually what I do is Ulti > Spell Flux > Rune Prison > Overload. When you throw the Spell Flux the important thing to remember is that Overload has a travel time too, so that by the time overload hits the spell flux has just already hit them. This way I have a better chance of getting off a second overload before they flash/run away.
From my experience, don't put more than 1 point in Spell Flux unless you have to, and instead always lvl Overload whenever you can, alternating between that and Rune Prison, and of course lvl your Ulti whenever possible.
Spell Flux is AWESOME for ganking, since it reduces MR by quite a bit, but it really isn't that great for farming until you put 3 or 4 points into it. A good thing to keep in mind is that every rank of spell flux reduces MR by the same amount per bounce, rank 1 = rank 5 in that they both do -15 MR per bounce.
Note that Spell Flux's MR reduction does stack, and it does bounce off of you, so if you have a little more time (a teammate stunned/slowed them), it's a good idea to be close to them by the time spell flux hits so that it bounces off you and back to them several times. You can stack up to 45 MR with that tactic, and it greatly increases the dmg Overload does. So usually what I do is my teammate stuns, I throw spell flux and then flash right next to them, wait for spell flux to bounce off of them as many times as it will (it might veer off and hit a mob instead of going back to hit him again), then Overload > Rune Prison if I have more time, otherwise Rune Prison > Overload.
I generally keep buying Lich Bane a lower priority on Ryze, simply because his auto attack does kind of suck, and it's not going to be a major source of damage. I prefer to buy Tear and Archangel Staff first, then Rod of Ages, then Mejai's Soulstealer (sometimes I get Mejai's first if we're ganking like crazy in a noob pub game ;D), and THEN I get Lich Bane. After that I try to go for a Zhonya's Ring, generally, if the other team hasn't surrendered yet due to Ryze's supreme awesomeness xD

EDIT: To address CD Reduction builds, I find AP builds are still way better. Ryze's cooldowns are too short to really get much good out of CD Reduction, and his passive (-1 second CD on all spells everytime a spell is cast) will bring everything off cooldown very quickly. Usually during a fight I have enough time to get off 2 cycles of spellcasting, assuming a teammate has a stun (or 2 ;P).
Also, one more thing to be careful about, BEWARE OF VEIGAR. He's the absolute anti-Ryze, since he does dmg based on the enemy's mana pool, and Ryze does dmg based on HIS mana pool. The result? Primordial Strike hitting for 2k+ dmg QQ. If you're laning against him I strongly suggest you get a tank to switch with you.

Devil May LOL

01-16-2010

It's pretty much come down to personal preference. I tend to roam from lane to lane so 40s cd -> 24s is good for me, especially when you can spam other spell to reduce its cd even further.
Normally i get a frozen heart first then get ap item. So I still get ap item eventually.
I think you should max spell flux early, since that's the only way that you can kill people. Overload, you can pretty much just increase your mana to increase its dmg. In 1v1 fight without any creeps around, 3 bounces from your spell flux to them + 65% dmg from the other two bouncing back to you can make a huge difference, while a lvl 1 or lvl 5 overload, not so much.
My preference is desperate power -> spell flux -> rune prison -> overload. But definitely get 1 lvl overload early so you have an extra spell to spam.

zastrozzi

01-16-2010

I find that Ryze doesn't really do well as a solo ganker. If you can get a friend to play a stun-carrying tank with you on Vent, you can pretty much dominate any solo queue encounter. If you are running a CD centric build, get your tank buddy to help you get the Golem buff during early game before you get the Heart. Once you have 40% CDR, I find that it works well to initiate with Rune Prison.

If you are teamed with a Cho or Alistar, Prison the nearest ranged element in an encounter and approach with your tank. This gets you the self-bounces from spell flux and anyone who tries to save the ranged element will be hit by your tank's AoE stun, which will also re-stun your original target while your spells cooldown. With 40% CDR and your three other abilities cast, Rune Prison will cooldown in 4 seconds. Assuming Rune Prison is at least level 4 (I actually give it priority when levelling. CC = good), and your tank's stun is of the two second variety, you can effectively take someone out of the fight for the 6 seconds it takes to nuke down their melee buddy.

TL;DR- Ryze deals good damage, but it isn't enough to make up for his lack of survivability. Bring friends.

PrawnWonton

01-16-2010

A really important thing to remember with Ryze is that the Spell Flux bounce range is shorter than its max casting range. This means that if you want to get all the bounces to hit someone, you must be closer than full range, unless there is something else close by to take the bounces as well. But in a 1v1 situation, if you want to do full damage, you have to get a little closer. Otherwise it just hits them once and disappears.

For this reason, I find Flash a really awesome skill with Ryze. It allows you to get perfect positioning for max damage. Especially early game in the laning phase when the enemy is cowering behind their minions just out of range. Hit lvl 6, Flash > Ult > Prison > Spell Fux > Overload = dead. And it is useful to escape nasty situations.

You don't NEED Flash. Once you get the feel for the proper range, you can even Prison, walk a bit to get to proper distance, and unload, all before Prison wears off. Gotta be fast though.

Also important to remember, Spell Prison only snares people, it doesn't stun them. So using it on Yi in Highlander is useless. (It does prevent some spells, like Tryndameres Spinning Slash, and I'm sure there are others). People can Flash while prisoned as well. Just something to keep in mind.

I prefer to get maximum cooldown reduction. It enables Ryze to farm and push lanes frighteningly fast, since his ult is always up. Plus in team fights, you'll be able to get two spell combos off during each ult. And I like to max Spell Flux first.
-Overload
-Prison
-Spell Flux (max it)
-Ult at 6, 11, 16, obviously.
-Max Prison
-Max Overload

I max Overload last, because most of your damage comes from Spell Flux during your ult. Lvl 1 Overload is really cheap to cast, and still gets bonus mana damage. And since I usually pile on the mana (Tear, Archangels, Glacial Shroud), even low level Overload hits hard. Plus you can spam it to get last hits early game, while building your mana pool with Tear.

If you can tell you'll be getting lots of kills/assists definitely pick up a Mejai's. Totally worth it even if you only get 5-6 stacks, which is pretty easy. I usually get Tear first, then boots, then it depends. If people buy magic resist, get Void Staff. Glacial Shroud is a must for me. Sometimes turn it into Frozen Heart if your team needs it. Turn Tear into Archangel's once you've maxed out the mana gain from Tear. That will give a bunch of AP. Zhonya's is always good. Sometimes an early Banshee's Veil is needed against certain teams. Play it by ear.

lord kratos

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2010

Well, the only hero that I use is Ryze. I first get Spell Flux, then Prison, then alternate lvl those and getting Overload. I rush out Sheen, followed by Lich Bane. Then I focus on Zhonya's Ring then, finally, Void Staff. By the time I get Zhonya's Ring, I can deal 3k+ Damage to any hero, regardless of MR. I don't use flash, instead using teleport and heal. Flash is good for Ganking, but I prefer Teleport, because of the versatility. I usually rack up the kills. Once I get Void Staff, I slaughter entire teams in seconds. If you want to know how to play with/against me, my name on LoL is lord kratos.

PrawnWonton

01-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord kratos View Post
Well, the only hero that I use is Ryze. I first get Spell Flux, then Prison, then alternate lvl those and getting Overload. I rush out Sheen, followed by Lich Bane. Then I focus on Zhonya's Ring then, finally, Void Staff. By the time I get Zhonya's Ring, I can deal 3k+ Damage to any hero, regardless of MR. I don't use flash, instead using teleport and heal. Flash is good for Ganking, but I prefer Teleport, because of the versatility. I usually rack up the kills. Once I get Void Staff, I slaughter entire teams in seconds. If you want to know how to play with/against me, my name on LoL is lord kratos.
Good stuff. I think I'll try getting Lichbane. Never really need the auto-attack, since people are dead after a combo anyways, but it could be fun.

Further proof that people that say Ryze is no longer an 'assassin' character, or that he can't cope in 1v1 situations don't know what they are doing. If anything, I find him a much stronger hero now than ever before.

Very few are the characters that can do 3k+ burst damage, with almost no cooldown. With AoE.

Kyle700

01-16-2010

I liked the old Ryze better for the 3k dmg burst =/.

got his ult to do 1050 dmg per ****. Had enough ap so that when I crit with lichbane, I did like 1500 dmg.

It was gg.

EDIT: Huh, "bounce" is a bad word now. =/