[Guide] Udyr – A Very Fearsome Hero in the Right Hands

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rizex

01-19-2010

Only thing I would change, is 1 point in tiger somewhere early. With your guide you tend to stick with jungling which is fine, but for the level 4 ganks etc. Having a point in tiger can help get those pesky runners. That early your speed isnt good enough and turtle isnt strong enough to tank a tower to chase someone, imo anyway.

This works especially well with low hp/squishy champs.

This is relatively situational because it doesn't happen all the time, but for me it seems to happen enough to make tiger usefull.

For Example:

Udyr = A
teamate = B
enemy = C
second enemy = D

So A and B kill target C, target B almost dies, and your close to the tower, target B runs back to heal/tele/recall whatever.. Target D attempts to come attack you now that your low and teamate left..

Bear/Pheonix - as they start to run away Tiger..

With that initial blast of attacks they almost die, they start to run towards their tower, then you tiger and they bleed. Its not a guaranteed kill, but its generally safer than relying on turtle especially after a fight has already occured. turtle will help in the escape if you do get a little too close.

Granted I haven't been playing for too long, but that has worked for me so far.

Fausterion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-19-2010

I'm really liking this guide so far. 7/8 of my Udyr games have been very successful with this guide. I actually prefer jungle Udyr now more than jungle Warwick, as Udyr seems more effective at teamfights and even ganking. Typically if the game continues beyond the suggested items, I end up buying a Black Cleaver. This synergizes well with tiger stance and the crazy amount if IAS at lategame.

1+

Shockway

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippers View Post
I stumbled over this guide few days ago, and I got inspired to explore Udyr. After some messing around and the initial learning curve, I've been playing with a slight modification to your builds.

For items: I tend to go Vampiric Scepter, Berserker’s Greaves, finish Malady, Leviathan, Phage, Sheen, then I usually finish Trinity Force. Then whatever seems fitting, usually either Banshee’s Veil or Sunfire Cape or Phantom Dancer. I make it a point to get Beserkers and Malady as soon as I can afford them--farming until then is absurdly tedious and attempting ganks without boots is pretty funny if ineffective. After that however, ganking is a breeze so Leviathan is definitely a logical addition.

For the early game: I always watch the river outside of the golem spawn for possible the counter-jungle, suffering a few seconds of farming efficiency for safety. Then I take the golem and all of the smaller camps on my side, port back for a dagger, take the lizard and then the opposing golem and the second clearing of my jungle, port back to finish boots. Take the Dragon at 5-6, whenever my rally returns so I can finish it off and stay relatively healthy. And then gank bottom or mid.

Skill wise, I max Tiger over Turtle late game. The additional health from turtle really helps in nasty situations, but I definitely prefer the faster tower/baron destruction to capitalize on opportunities. Proper map awareness, judgment, and Leviathan can make up for lacking turtle, and games can be determined by nabbing one lucky, fast inhibitor.

Personally, I have had the most difficulty with counter-jungles like smart Cardmasters (ulti+teleport+gold card), Twitches, and Eves. In 1v1 combat, exhaust absolutely ruins Udyr (crippling his run, his stun, his damage--and especially so with this build since he lacks a summoner escape). CC properly drops Udyr just like any melee DPS. If Udyr randomly runs into a bush filled with Blitz and just about anybody else, I'm dead.

When Yi or Twitch pops up in a battlefield, they get instantly focused. Udyr, in comparison, draws much less attention. Sure, he has a great farming ability with Phoenix but he is such easy food in the jungle. I think people are simply unfamiliar with his game.
I'm very cautious before starting my jungling routine nowadays too. People love to come for me as they know i'll be jungling but they either waste their time because i'm sitting back for that or they get counter-ganked. =]

I've started leveling turtle over bear as the stun doesn't increase with bear rank and turtle has come in handy mannnny times since i wrote the guide and it's allowed me to fight 1v2, 1v3 (yes i know, OP) with confidence having that better turtle. i don't see y level tiger though. even phoenix does better than it for turrets. btw, exhaust isn't a complete GG. you CAN still use the abilities of your stances, i.e. you can stun through exhaust, your phoenix will still do it's damage, etc. I've not used leviathan but I'll give it a look.

P.S. Will update the guide shortly.

OMFJames

01-20-2010

Pheonix Flames give you a Buff that Increases AP and Physical DMG, if you go 5 into tiger while still having the pheonix stance buff you can deal double dmg and kill stuff ALOT faster then if you had x3

servedogg

01-20-2010

I think its a good build and the skill order is a lil different than mine but looks like it would work great. Any lvl 30 with masteries and runes Udyr should be able to start jungling w/o smite. Cleanse would be a better option since it will help with Udyr's biggest weakness and will pay off in dividends late in the game.

The choice of boots should be dependent on your opponents heroes. Mercury treads and ninja tabi have to at least be considered.

Also for the several replies that suggested madreds, Udyr in Pheonix can jungle fast enough that the gold could be spent better elsewhere like Trinity.

Shockway

01-20-2010

@ gorroth: accept it. he's OP right now. =/

@ rizex: i could see a level of tiger for a runner being useful but too situational and that eats up a level that could be invested in getting a stance to 5 which is more important overall imo. =]

@James: I will def. give that a consideration and toy with it for a bit. When do you end up maxing tiger? after phoenix/turtle?

@servedogg: I agree with all your points. As mentioned, nothing that I stated should be considered a 'staple' and a high-end player will adapt items accordingly. =] I have been messing around with runes, summoner spells and masteries a lot lately. Here's what I got:

Jungling w/ just rally + x (flash/cleanse/exhaust): I had to go heal before I could do lizard and the bottom neutral spawn. Would you guys consider the loss in time compensated by a better summoner spell in the long run? I love being able to get lvl 4 incredibly fast and possibly get a kill or two at bottom before going to shop (if I decide to instead of jungling their side).

Runes: I tried AP for the hell of it, poopy. Would armor pen be a valid option for him?

Masteries: I'm going 21/0/9 now w/o the crit talents from offense as i'm going turtle a lot now during battles.

Guide Updated.

OMFJames

01-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockway View Post
@ gorroth: accept it. he's OP right now. =/

@James: I will def. give that a consideration and toy with it for a bit. When do you end up maxing tiger? after phoenix/turtle?
i don't play him a alot, but i go

Pheonix 5
Bear 5
Turtle 3
Tiger 5

i get 1 lvl of each by level 4, so i can cooldown dump for ******ed attack speeds

then just level them accordingly to how the games going

Shockway

01-20-2010

1 level of each by 4? Sorry but that's completely inefficient. You're better off switching back and forth from a higher lvl phoenix + bear/turtle. You and/or your targets won't be living long enough early game for you to even toggle all four stances.

General consensus is that tiger stance is weak compared to phoenix anyways so if you reallllly want to pick it up it should be late game over the real priorities.

Kalimyr

01-20-2010

Yea huh...just tried your build shock...gotta admit it's awesome! Never noticed how pheonix/turtle was important before...but now i do xD. Anyways...awesome work with that guide!

Hikaratu

01-20-2010

@thread title: or in the left hands, or any appendage/mass in the vicinity capable of manipulating a mouse.

More seriously it's a decent guide for a hero that requires none to do decently with in his current state.