[Guide] Udyr – A Very Fearsome Hero in the Right Hands

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shockway

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by discomatt View Post
Udyr is sad without Cleanse though.
Would it be great to have? No doubt but I've done well enough without it and being able to jungle effectively from lvl 1 is a great boost to the whole team. Extra solo lane, you level just as fast as the soloers, probably make more gold than the people laning, element of surprise for ganks ("out of sight, out of mind"). It's not to say that I ignore CC on me all game. Hense getting Banshee as my 4th item even if late. =]

@CaptainSoda: I feel my build is great late game and that I can continue to pick up non-damage items after Banshees as Phoenix with the dps items I already have are more than enough to cause havoc and my only concern becomes being focused all the time and having the tools to keep me in battle instead of retreating to the well.

@Limilicious: My thoughts exactly w/ regards to CD vs Atk speed runes.

Thanks everyone for all your responses. Keep 'em coming.

Sourdough

01-16-2010

What is Udyr's kryptonite?
It seems like once he's up to lvl12 or so in the right hands, he's unstoppable.

Just now in a game Udyr was lvl 10 and on my team malphite and yi were at 9, and couldn't kill him. Udyr kept popping a shield and the attack speed is unreal.
Seems like you would need to stun lock him with a Ryze and Ashe maybe.

RockLee Tipsy

01-16-2010

the current state of udyr makes him a fearsome hero even in the hands of a ******ed autistic child with no thumbs

Shockway

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2010

Indeed Sourdough. In the few games I have struggled the opposing team had a lot of CC and they were very alert to prioritize me over others and that was life saving for them. If there is a lane without CC though they are targets and will be punished. =]

His kryptonite would be a well played rammus. A tanky poppy is pretty annoying to kill simply cause of the survivability. But other than 1v1, he just needs to get focus thrown his way in team battles to kill him or at least manage to run away still breathing.

Also, people still don't have good judgment vs a Udyr. Until people start playing him they'll still be a little unaware of how to best counter him, when to run, when to fight, etc. because the skill build the udyr user chooses is very important to the outcome.

(As in, as soon as I see an Udyr go tiger stance outside of late-game tower/inhib killing I smile)

@ Kootz: This thread is meant for constructive discussion. If you have complaints about the hero please refer to the Champion Discussion section. Thanks.

Wu Thuong

01-16-2010

i think that silence on udyr is really annoying, it kinda renders you more useless.

Especially when they silence you while you are in Turtle or Tiger stance... during bear stance you could atleast try to stun while you are at it.

Sourdough

01-16-2010

Since i'm playing mostly as Ashe or Malphite, i try to hit him with something ranged to initiate, then run, hoping that he'll blow his cool downs.
Unless i have malphite uber'd out with items, using all of my abilities at once still doesn't kill Udyr, nearly though. I do r, e, q, w if you are familiar with malphite.

Yippers

01-18-2010

I stumbled over this guide few days ago, and I got inspired to explore Udyr. After some messing around and the initial learning curve, I've been playing with a slight modification to your builds.

For items: I tend to go Vampiric Scepter, Berserker’s Greaves, finish Malady, Leviathan, Phage, Sheen, then I usually finish Trinity Force. Then whatever seems fitting, usually either Banshee’s Veil or Sunfire Cape or Phantom Dancer. I make it a point to get Beserkers and Malady as soon as I can afford them--farming until then is absurdly tedious and attempting ganks without boots is pretty funny if ineffective. After that however, ganking is a breeze so Leviathan is definitely a logical addition.

For the early game: I always watch the river outside of the golem spawn for possible the counter-jungle, suffering a few seconds of farming efficiency for safety. Then I take the golem and all of the smaller camps on my side, port back for a dagger, take the lizard and then the opposing golem and the second clearing of my jungle, port back to finish boots. Take the Dragon at 5-6, whenever my rally returns so I can finish it off and stay relatively healthy. And then gank bottom or mid.

Skill wise, I max Tiger over Turtle late game. The additional health from turtle really helps in nasty situations, but I definitely prefer the faster tower/baron destruction to capitalize on opportunities. Proper map awareness, judgment, and Leviathan can make up for lacking turtle, and games can be determined by nabbing one lucky, fast inhibitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockway View Post
Indeed Sourdough. In the few games I have struggled the opposing team had a lot of CC and they were very alert to prioritize me over others and that was life saving for them. If there is a lane without CC though they are targets and will be punished. =]

His kryptonite would be a well played rammus. A tanky poppy is pretty annoying to kill simply cause of the survivability. But other than 1v1, he just needs to get focus thrown his way in team battles to kill him or at least manage to run away still breathing.

Also, people still don't have good judgment vs a Udyr. Until people start playing him they'll still be a little unaware of how to best counter him, when to run, when to fight, etc. because the skill build the udyr user chooses is very important to the outcome.
Personally, I have had the most difficulty with counter-jungles like smart Cardmasters (ulti+teleport+gold card), Twitches, and Eves. In 1v1 combat, exhaust absolutely ruins Udyr (crippling his run, his stun, his damage--and especially so with this build since he lacks a summoner escape). CC properly drops Udyr just like any melee DPS. If Udyr randomly runs into a bush filled with Blitz and just about anybody else, I'm dead.

When Yi or Twitch pops up in a battlefield, they get instantly focused. Udyr, in comparison, draws much less attention. Sure, he has a great farming ability with Phoenix but he is such easy food in the jungle. I think people are simply unfamiliar with his game.

Yippers

01-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
Since i'm playing mostly as Ashe or Malphite, i try to hit him with something ranged to initiate, then run, hoping that he'll blow his cool downs.
Unless i have malphite uber'd out with items, using all of my abilities at once still doesn't kill Udyr, nearly though. I do r, e, q, w if you are familiar with malphite.
I recommend try using Udyr, especially since he's free on the rotation. I actually suggest this for most champions, haha. You tend to learn things, like how Udyr's cooldowns are very quick. Attempting to get him to blow his skills is kind of pointless, imho. Staying ranged is definitely helpful, but I doubt you can outrun him for long distances.

As Ashe, I generally wouldn't brawl 1v1 with him. If you do, bring an exhaust or ample farming (i.e. damage + Phantom Dancer). It's kind of like the equivalent of brawling against Jax.
1. Start by spamming him with volleys of slowing arrows. Run back a bit if he tries to chase. If he continues farming, repeat.
2. If he does follow, run backward and send him a volley of slowing arrows whenever it cools down. At this rate, you should be able to outrun him unless he's on bear stance. And you're slowly sapping his health.
3. Should he use bear stance, wait for him to close the gap and then hit him with an Enchanted Crystal Arrow. At this point, check yours and his health. Using your judgment, if you think you can outdamage him, keep volleying slow arrows and autoattacking with slows. He should be running.
4. If you doubt you can outdamage him, use your exhaust. Now he cannot hit you or run. Finish him off.

As Malphite, I only play a tank Malphite. I doubt DPS Malphite could beat Udyr in a 1v1 match. However, you do have some advantages:
*: You have a farming skill POWERED by how much armor you have. That's huge. That means you can invest in armor and farm better! If you think you're up against a formidible Udyr, I would quickly invest in a Thornmail and/or a Frozen Heart. Both boosts your farming ability and survivability.
*: Your slow STEALS their speed. Make the most of it and only use it when Udyr has on bear stance. That means you move even faster while he goes even slower.
*: Don't waste your ultimate initiating in a 1v1. Use your ultimate to disable multiple people or to finish off champions.

In an ideal 1v1 (that means you have farmed enough armor and DPS to possibly outdamage him) I would get him into melee range, start with E and W. After a while, one of two things should happen:

1. You either have the upper hand and he begins running. At this point, use Q when you see him go into bear form. Then R him. Finish. Exhaust helps here.

2. He has the obvious advantage. If you think your ultimate will do enough damage to change the battle, use it and then see 1. Else, ultimate away from the battle. He will attempt to chase in bear form, so use Q when he gets into range to get away.

Still, I don't recommend trying to beat a melee DPS at his own game unless you have a better melee DPS. ;D

noonestar

01-19-2010

Udyr item build with: Malady, Trinity Force, Infinity Edge, Phantom Dancer, Banshee's Veil and Warmog's Armor is godlike!

sjeD2JkYcTVuyvRT

01-19-2010

Udyr has nice survivability due to his decent HP, bear stance (stun + run away!) and turtle stance (shield) but some people make it sound like he has godlike abilities or is overpowered.

Udyr is very resistant to harassment, especially once he gets a few levels in turtle (100-250dmg absorb every ~6s) but he gets absolutely melted by focused fire or large crits. His true kriptonite however is CC; any kind of CC.

Silence: Can't switch stances which means your attack speed and dodge will plummet and you can't run away or shield yourself.

Blind: Can't hit people which means no mana/hp regen and no stun.

Snare/root: Udyr has to be very mobile, being melee and all. Hindering is ability to move on the battlefield will severely diminish his contribution in team battles.

Stun: You can't do anything! Very Bad News.

=> Cleanse and banshee's veil are priorities for any Udyr in a competitive environment, possibly even mercury's treads, depending on the opposing team composition.