[Guide] Udyr – A Very Fearsome Hero in the Right Hands

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shockway

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2010

Udyr – A Very Fearsome Hero in the Right Hands v0.3

Disclaimer: This guide is to aid and inform other players on how I have managed to succeed with this hero. I also noticed that the other guides go a different route in at least one way than mine so I really wanted to get this different perspective out there. In no way are my intentions to state that it is my way or the highway. This is also my first guide and I will be editing/updating it as comments and suggestions are received. =]

Hello everyone. Welcome to my Udyr guide. I will be skipping the skill descriptions and other game basics so I can keep this as short and simple as possible. Udyr is meant to be in the hands of a more experienced player anyways.

Starting Point:

- Full Atk Speed runes: I feel very comfortable using these over other options. It is very noticeable at the start of the game and the more you attack the more your lovely phoenix will be proccing.

With the recent nerfs he received these runes come into play a lot more now.

- Summoner Spells: I'm currently using Flash and Ghost. They both are great multi-purpose spells and have both gotten me extra kills or saved me from deaths. You can pretty much pick your own preference with these as it's not game breaking but I like these the most.

- Masteries: I go 9/0/21 while picking up the Ghost and Flash masteries as well.

Item Build:

- Vampiric Scepter

- Berserker’s Greaves

- Malady & Trinity Force: The next time you go shop after buying Greaves, if you can afford at least two pieces of Trinity Force (Sheen/Zeal/Phage) then get them. If not, buy a Malady and buy whatever else you can with your left over gold.

- Banshee’s Veil

- Game’s not over?! Get whatever is fitting for your match.

Reasoning:

Greaves and Malady are for the good dose of Atk Speed (and upgrading the basics ofcourse [boots/scepter]). Atk Speed is his best friend of course. Trinity Force is an insanely good item for a frequent caster like him and he puts every stat on that item to great use. Banshee’s Veil gives him an extra security blanket that makes him even more unstoppable. He needs to be focused if the other team wants any hope of winning and this aids your cause noticeably.

Skill Build:

1) Phoenix

2) Turtle

3) Phoenix

4) Bear

5) Max Phoenix

6) Max Turtle

7) Max Bear

Reasoning:

Phoenix and Turtle are his bread and butter so that needs to be maxed asap but a level of Bear is picked up at 4 for initiating and the obvious stun. With this setup I am ready to help lanes gank by level 4, hop into a lane that is getting pushed to push back w/ phoenix and farm like mad with little interruption.

GAME TIME!

Summary:

Though you are a jungler, do not hesitate to help your teammates with a gank in their lane, a tower push, etc. The goal to succeed with this build is to start out fast, pressure early and make sure they respect your presence all game. You won’t accomplish that just sitting in the jungle.

Also, ‘juggling’ your stances will take judgment and you will only gain that through experience. Always keep Udyr’s passive talent up while fighting anything. While neutralling I tend to switch when the passive timer is close to ending. While fighting heroes I tend to use bear only for the stun and quickly switch to phoenix and try to stay in that stance for as long as I can unless: I can stun again, need to stun another target, passive is gonna run out (which is usually when I can stun again anyways), etc. Like I said, you’re gonna have to use a lot of judgment.

Edit: When people actually stick around to fight back I pop phoenix and immediately switch turtle now as phoenix gives turtle extra ap and i'll still be doing good dmg + extra survivability.

Early:

Grab Turtle or Phoenix, Vampiric Scepter and lane until lvl 4/5. At which point you can start the normal jungle routine. Grab golem, kill next neutrals, kill next, kill lizard, kill next. Then if you're low on hp/mana go shop then gank or gank immediately.

[Edit] I like to go do dragon starting lvl 7+. Phoenix/Turtle it. Try to kill it as soon as it respawns to keep helping the team stay ahead of the other.

[Edit] Be very cautious of people wanting to gank you as it's pretty obvious you'll be jungling with rally/smite. I sometimes go to their golem instead or wait at the first tower of a lane till I see my opponents in their lanes. Switch it up, be smart, be safe. =]

Mid:

Keep neutraling, keep ganking, help push lanes. Be a jack of all trades. Be aggressive and don’t be scared to take calculated risks. With your stun and high damage output tower dives are very much a possibility with a Turtle/Bear escape afterwards.

Late:

Team Battle time!!! You’re a force to be reckoned with at this point but you’re not invincible either. If all has gone well you should have a nice item and level advantage against their team but if things are pretty even you’re gonna have to once again take calculated risks. In team fights you still want to open with a stun on your target and then quick switch to phoenix. Still rinse and repeat but if teams want to focus you you gotta know you’re gonna blast them down quick as a whole or back off a little so they switch to a beefier target.

Edit: Open with a stun still but Phoenix/Turtle is gonna be your best bet to kick ass and stay alive often times as I'm noticing people focusing me A LOT more lately.

Conclusion:

- Udyr is a great carry and a great ganker. Don’t limit him by not trying!

- He is actually pretty easy to use in terms of skills to use – Phoenix and Turtle FTW! – but he does require good judgment.

- I actually do use Turtle every now and then to initiate when I’m not at melee range so I can start stacking his passive and get a temporary, though small, shield then burst my target with a stun + phoenix.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. This is a rough 0.1 version and written at 1-2am. I am open to dialog so please feel free to reply with comments and suggestions to help this guide keep improving and be a reliable Udyr source for people.

-Shock, in-game: Shockway

Changelog:

v0.2: Changed main stances from Phoenix/Bear to Phoenix/Turtle. Added edits to summary and early game. Updated masteries.

v0.3: Changed summoner spells, masteries, and early game strat.

Zero Control

01-16-2010

You don't need those runes.... remember changing stances boosts attack speed. SO the more you change stances the faster you are, speed maxes out at 2.5

Cool downs allows you to change stances faster try this.

Max CD runes if you want... 15%... run both matery trees to CD, thats attack and support,

Thats another 9%... for 24% CD.

I am not satisfied with this build but it aint bad...

Items:

Madreds (jungle and money if you feel like, good armor and dps)
Malady
Boots (anything, whatever feels good, speed is fun, sometimes mercury..,.. dont get berserker you dont need it)
Phage
stinger

Boom, good cooldowns, all the speed you want, damage, CC, health

you wont finish all items but as time permits build out...

Frozen Mallet
Then BloodRazon
Nashors

Extra hp, damage, AP and speed....

Edit... thinking this over, maybe just get dreds, malady, boots, stinger and then build out trinity.

Shockway

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2010

I'd appreciate it if you gave it a shot before you came to a conclusion. Equally I don't see a need for CD runes at any phase of the game, especially early and your perception is that Udyr doesn't need Atk speed because he'll always have a lot from switching stances. I'll respect your opinion, even try it out too but on paper it doesn't seem like a better choice.

I will be honest and try it out first though. I'll need CD runes at some point so I might as well buy em to try this out. Thanks for the criticism. It's always welcomed.

Brokenarrow

01-16-2010

Best guide I've read in a while. Very comprehensive and I cannot wait to try this. Thanks Shock.

TheDapperPenguin

01-16-2010

Just played a game with this guy, and he absolutely ran amok. Will definitely consider this guide if I ever decide to try Udyr.

CageHN

Recruiter

01-16-2010

I just played with Shockway and he rocked with this build, game was over around level 6-7

discomatt

01-16-2010

Udyr is sad without Cleanse though.

CaptainSoda

01-16-2010

How is the late game on your build? For instance, when I play Udyr I go with a build that sort of cripples me early game but annhialates things once I get my 3rd item. I generally go Trinity Force (Going Phage ->Sheen->Zeal) then get my Berserkers Greaves and follow it up with Madreds BloodRazors. Genereally with those items alone I find it stupidly easy to blow shiz up.

discomatt

01-16-2010

You're waiting waaaaay too long to get level 2 boots.

Limilicious

01-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockway View Post
I'd appreciate it if you gave it a shot before you came to a conclusion. Equally I don't see a need for CD runes at any phase of the game, especially early and your perception is that Udyr doesn't need Atk speed because he'll always have a lot from switching stances. I'll respect your opinion, even try it out too but on paper it doesn't seem like a better choice.

I will be honest and try it out first though. I'll need CD runes at some point so I might as well buy em to try this out. Thanks for the criticism. It's always welcomed.
Hmmm, switching stances a lot to make a huge difference in attack speed only happens when you have the mana to support it. At early game, even maxed CD won't do you too good if you have no mana to support it. But attack speed, it'll benefit more with Phoenix or Turtle or whatever earlier on. Just my opinion.

Good guide btw. Trinity Forces give you a passive version of Tiger Stance's active (at level 1) =P