Doran's Shield TheoryCraft

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Granrok

01-15-2010

I was looking at this item and considering bang for buck.

Doran's Shield - 435 gold.
+120 Health +8 Armor +8 Health Regeneration per 5

Let us do some TheoryCraft!

Shield seems meh. I have heard loads of folks complain about it. What if you bought 5 of them?

Cost = 2175
5 x 120 = 600 health
5 x 8 = 40 armor
5 X 8 = 40 health regeneration over 5 seconds or 480 regen per minute.

compare that to a comparable item, ignoring slot usage of course. I found the exercise, albeit pointless, to be amusing as well as you can stack these things on rather quickly.

Makes me wonder what other expensive stuff can be replaced with cheap stuff quickly, which give more overall bonuses, thus making you better quicker, and thus perhaps allowing you to kill more.

This is pure discussion. I am not proposing that this is a great strategy, just more amusing to me than anything.

G

Parkinsonian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-15-2010

It's 2/3 of a Ruby Crystal, 8/18=4/9 of a Cloth Armor, and 8/14= 4/7 of a Regrowth Pendant.

316 2/3 + 133 1/3 + 271.428 = 721.428 is its approximate value, and you pay 435 for it in the start, giving enough gold for a health or mana potion. Previous patch, it was almost a must for the first team fight.

EasymodeX

01-15-2010

Thinking about boots + 3x Doran's Ring + Mejai's as a starting build on Eve.

Avloren

01-15-2010

The reason people don't like Doran's items is because they don't build into anything better - you're putting off that essential second item, your Catalyst or whatever, by 435g. Of course if you're just comparing the benefits of Doran's vs. Ruby or whatever at level 1, Doran's wins out, it has to (to make up for not building into a better item). It depends whether you want to be better at level 1 or better at level 5, because Catalyst definitely beats Doran's+Ruby+Sapphire, which is what you would have if you got Doran's then started building towards Catalyst.

Tpyo

01-15-2010

Yes it is a very cost effective item for early game however those prices are only for the basic items with no regard to uniques. The closest thing to compare to would probably be warmogs which has a unique geared toward greater health. Warmogs costs 1000 more, gives about 2x times the life and health Regen but is missing out on the 40 armor (~1 chain vest, 700 gold). So dorans is comparable to a fully fed warmogs in terms of cost efficiency. Of course in practice getting 5 dorans sheilds means selling at least one down the line.

RikkuHime

01-15-2010

Doran's Shields are for Level 1 Team Fights.

Other than that they don't build into anything and sets you back in your build.

Tyrfang

01-15-2010

You've heard people complain about Doran's Shield?

What, that it's too good?

Doran's Shield is a great starting item that no character except maybe those with self-heals can go wrong with.

Wouldn't really recommend ever getting more than one though. I tend to sell mine off by the time the laning phase ends.

Gaeb

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2010

Doran's shield and Ring are fantastic starting items on some champs -- but I rarely have any urge to stack them.

I can see your point though. I have six slots, why not spend <500G on a great item for 3 slots then start spending on my big 3KG items. Question is do you want to be 1000-1500G behind where you'd normally be at 16 or so.

JunkRamen

01-15-2010

That's kinda what Doran items are. Very well itemized, but poor slot efficiency. Doran's Shield is a great item if you plan on fighting other champions at level 1. Not sure how common those will be with the changes to dragon and lizard spawn though.

EasymodeX

01-15-2010

I'm thinking in terms of "blue-pill" efficiency. If you're at base and bought your Mejai's, do you buy a mana crystal or a Doran's? Sure 400 will set you back in the "6 minute long-run", but will the +1 Doran's help you out more in that time?

In DotA, early-game itemization was actually relevant (RE: GG branches, circlets, bracers, etc).

I see it as a symptom of weaker LoL itemization that cheap items are not as super-efficient as they should be. Or conversely, inventory space is does not "cost" the player as much money as it does in DotA.