[Guide] Rammus the Magic Pinball

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TyrannisUmbra

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtah View Post
This sounds to me like AP sion, great early game for farming but then terrible end game unless you absolutely massacre early game.

I guess I'll have to give it a try.
The thing about Rammus is that his skills remain useful all game. He doesn't actually need items to be an asset to his team, though the right items help!

Joebags

01-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBirk View Post
25% of a pre armor 300 yi/trist/twitch hit is 75 damage returned. You needed 300 ap to do that. Ap would be more stable vs those less geared though.
You forget that AP gives bonuses to all his other skills except taunt, so by buying one AP item you are getting triple the usage. While thornmail is a great item on rammus, I fully agree with getting AP because it benefits everything.

Grovel

01-30-2010

The last rank of taunt definitely increased the duration by .5 seconds, which is the same increase on every level. Not sure if this was changed in the last couple of weeks, as OP offers different advice.

Can anyone confirm whether mobility really stacks with powerball? I usually always run Merc boots, but the option of turning your "Q" skill into a heat seeking missile is intriguing.

Can't wait to try this out, as I've always kind of discredited Rammus in favor of Cho' or Malphite as the better DPS initiators.

Reep

01-30-2010

First game as Rammus, ever. I really enjoyed it, had very little mana issues due to two RoA's. I got Atma's Impaler because of the large amount of health and lack of armor to defend against their fed Tristina (and Nidalee to a lesser extent).

I found myself dominating every fight, 1v1, 1v2, and in several cases 1v3. When my Rods maxed out I had 4k HP, 100 def/magic resist without defense curl on, and almost 400 AP. I wasn't doing nearly as much damage late game when the enemy team grabbed some magic resist; maybe considering Soulstealer wouldn't be a bad idea?

To be honest, this build is so badass it got to the point where I could gib a hero with only 10% of my hp. I think the badassness was the bain of my existence; I got real cocky.

Edit: Almost forgot, Ignite netted me at least 6 or 7 early game kills. Flash was very useful, I can only imagine how much of a monster I would be if I could actually use Flash properly.

ZGBudai

01-30-2010

First game as the Magical Pinball and I must say that it's a lot more FUN then regular tank rammus. I ended up 3/6/7 with the BEST score on my team ( Horrible Matchmaking ) and it was actually quite good. Boots of Mobility + Flash is incredibly useful and even with only RoA + Catalyst I was holding my own in Team Battles.

WhiteMantisX

01-30-2010

Two words on this build:
EPIC FAIL

Just put it into the funbox together with DPS Janna and AP Ashe

Mantis

Grovel

01-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMantisX View Post
Two words on this build:
EPIC FAIL

Just put it into the funbox together with DPS Janna and AP Ashe

Mantis
The depth of your insight is compelling....

Raiqualar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-30-2010

Great guide, I have to put in some input on Boots of Mobility though- With the gigantic reductions in movement speed after around 500 movespeed, it's really not worth getting- it adds like 10 more movespeed when using powerball, when you could have something like Mercury's treads which allow you to shake off slows and stuns considerably faster.

borshevsky

01-30-2010

Rammus is one of my top 2 heroes.. I've never tried the AP build with him, but Clarity is extremely useful on this guy. I usually go with flash and clarity. Masteries are up to you... go utility IMO because it benefits both of those summoner skills.

Demonwrath

04-01-2010

So I've been attempting the AP build for Rammus, yet I can never get far enough into a game for me to actually do anything where I can say "Who this build is r0x0rz!!" mainly because of either: a) my team kicks but and the other team surrenders, or b) I get my butt kicked and my team surrenders :P

I'm thinking of running a practice game or two to see if that'll help, but from how far I have gotten with it I have come to the following conclusions:

IMO, Rammus needs mana and cooldown reduction ASAP. In addition he also needs armor and hit points just as fast.

As such the way I do my build is as follows:

Runes:
Red - Armor Penatration (for even more massive damage from Rammus' abilities)
Yellow - HP/level (obvious)
Blue - Mana Regen/level (obvious)

Summoner Spells:
1. Clarity - Rammus gets stunned/slowed/whatever, he's ****ed. As such, this is my be all and end all for this problem.
2. Ghost - I know Flash SEEEMS better, but from playing Rammus I have had Ghost work a lot better for me than Flash has. Sure it's great to flash your powerball into an enemy, but in the same instance, with Ghost, you can be pushing the top lane, then before your opponent even knows it you've ran all the way to the bottom lane to protect an ally and you don't even have teleport!!!!

For items, I have so far done it in this order:
1. Mana Gem
2. Ninja Tabi/Mercury's Treads - though the Boots of Mobility are good as a way to chase down opponents, the armor and dodge bonus, or the magic resistance and stun decrease is so much better for Rammus
3. Glacial Shroud - Gives the armor, mana, and cooldown reduction that Rammus needs early on. Usually from hear I immediately upgrade it to a Frozen Heart since it is only another 1300 gold.
4. Catalyst - Starts Rammus on the health bonus road, so currently we have something from everything Rammus needs.

That's as far as I've been able to create thus far, and from the looks of it it doesn't seem to be a Rammus AP build, but this is how I would continue along the item tree:

5. Guardian Angel - This gives Armor and Magic Resist, as well as makes it so you can't die if you get in unlucky situations.
6. Rod of Ages - self explanitory
7. Archangel's Staff - Don't know why this hasn't been mentioned at all yet. With all the +mana Rammus is getting this thing is simply nuts as a way to give him bonus AP.
8.Thornmail/Abyssal Scepter - at all depends on the team I am against. More casters = Scepter, otherwise I'd grab the Thornmail.

Anyway that is my input...lemme know what you think =)