Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Nunu discussion (Item+More?)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lack of Color

01-16-2010

I've been playing Nunu a lot, he's recently become my favorite champion. However I feel that as patches come and go, Meta-game changes and frankly item builds are always up for debate.

I wanted to start an open discussion on what is not necessarily best but what works in different situations because if you aren't building according to who you are facing, you are doing it wrong.

Typically I only play him as a sort of cross hybrid. After much deliberation and many different build orders this is what I see working. Granted I try to only play in premades with friends just because solo queue is atrocious as we have all come to realize.

Setup A (What I used to build)

1. Doran's Ring
2. Ninja Tabi/Merc Treads

3. My third item is really where I vary because typically Mejai's Soulstealer is what I would like to get, HOWEVER, the problem with Soulstealer, I find, is that if you aren't getting kills or are always there for an assist it hurts more than you get out of it. If you are getting those kills, that AP stacks fast and you get in a groove, otherwise it seems more like a waste. There have been games where I was able to just carry because my stacks were so high and I could literally snowball people to death. However I don't necessarily like taking kills from "carry, semi-carries"

Before I started taking Soulstealer, I used to go straight for Void Staff, 40% resist reduction, 50 AP and that little extra mana early on was very helpful.

4. Banshees Veil
5. Void Staff if I chose to take Soulstealer, otherwise it would be a ROA

Setup B (what I've been building as of late)

1. Doran's Ring
  2. Ninja Tabi/Merc Treads
  3. Banshee's Veil
  4. Rod of Ages
  5. Void Staff

The order I get my items are really dependent on the other teams interrupts, how comfortable I feel that I will be able to get kills and general class make up in my party. With the addition of Poppy I've been having to take Banshee's Veil earlier just because its one more class who can easily interrupt your ultimate.

Lately I feel like I'm a little more cautious of playing as a straight AP character. Banshee's Veil is just too good not to take early on and it is a more expensive item. Not having your ultimate kinda sucks, i mean granted 600 damage snowballs ain't no joke, but for me to go....

1. SoulStealer
  2. Void Staff
  3. Banshee's Veil

It would cut down my overall contribution, and granted most games wouldn't even last that long. Good players will always save some sort of stun or interrupt for Nunu, of course there are exceptions and my ult may get half way charged and still do damage but I digress.

Now there are some items that frankly I feel are very useful but am having trouble incorporating them into my game. For instance:

• Haunting Guise- Very easy to make early game, and provides useful stats, Regen, -cd, and spell pen.
  • Abyssal Scepter- I feel in short games the scepter is superior, its a flat 20 magic reduction and early game people don't really shoot for straight magic resist. PLUS 70 AP and the magic reduction helps all of your teammates. Is it better than Void Staff EARLY GAME?

Kirkov

01-16-2010

I've been playing Nunu some recently - not claiming I'm a pro at all, but this is what I find works for me.

At the start:

• Mana Crystal
  • Mana Potion
  • Health Potion

I spec 9/0/17 (only level 26 right now), and have mp5/lvl runes for my yellows, so I can harass all I want early w/ ice ball and still keep my mana high enough until I make my first trip back for:
  • Catalyst
  • Boots of Speed

From here, a lot of it depends on how the team is doing and whether or not we've got a more beefy character to tank. Typically my next trip back is for Rod of the Ages - I try to get this early if I'm going to get it at all. I take 1 pt of Blood Boil at lvl 8 so I can usually hold off on finishing boots until after the rod. I go mercury treads if the other side has lots of slows/CC, or usually sorcerer's shoes if not.

If things are going south, I try to load up on health and magic resist, as I find iceball does a pretty good job slowing down physical dps, and people seem to try to take me out w/ spells and abilities. In that case I go catalyst -> banshee's.

I've been really liking Soul Shroud as a third item for the team cooldown aura and health. Not sure if it's ideal but I've found it useful in game. I haven't many games go long enough for me to get anything else though.

Hope that helps - any thoughts/suggestions?

Cannot Load Name

01-16-2010

deathgrasp+++++ extra nuke is sooo good

Phoxly

01-16-2010

I've been playin Nunu alot too, I played about 8 games with him last night just to mix things up. My build was something like:

Meki Pendant
Chalace of Harmony (By level 10 I was able to spam MINIONS with Ice Blast and Consume for last hits)
Mejaj's Soulstealer (This is the only AP item I buy, and its REALLY worth it.)

After that I usually try to get Banshee Veil, Frozen Heart, or some other HP + magic item.

I usually go 15-5-10 with this build. Its insane. If you are having a bad game though and find your team getting stomped and your not getting many kills, skip Mejaj's and go straight for the tank gear.

I usually go:

Ice
Consume
Blood Boil
Ice
Consume
Ult
Ice
Consume
Ice
ETC

I max ice and consume first cause its instant HP and I intend to spam Ice for harassment and killing minions (after chalace I get mana so fast its crazy)

Redmouse

01-16-2010

What I've been running recently is:

1. Ruby Crystal (only because I'm low level and thus don't have the runes to run Sapphire Crystal + Health Pots as effectively as I want to)
2. Catalyst the Protector
3. Boots of Speed
4. Rod of Ages
5. Kage's Pick
6. Upgrade Boots (Depends upon enemy)
7. Deathfire Grasp
8. Banshee's Veil/Void Staff (Depending on enemy/how game is going)

It has been working well. I've been running Ignite to go with the Deathfire Grasp, and the extra nukes work out REALLY well.

I've been running Heal to go with the Ignite but I plan to change that to Rally in a few more levels just to help out more with the team fights.

CosMoe

01-17-2010

I also play Nunu a lot.

My main problem is that (even with Banshee's Veil) my Ultimate seems almost useless now that I play against better level 30 players or even 5-man premades.

There's hardly any 5-man team that does not have multiple Silences or Stuns and on top of that usually half of the enemy team also has Flash or a Flash-like escape ability (i.e. Kassadin, Shaco, Tristana, Corki, ...).

Before I hit level 30 my Ultimate was far more devastating, but now I'm lucky if I can "finish" even a third of my Ultimates.
I really wish they would lower the channel time by 0.5 to 1 second.

IMSavior

01-17-2010

my skill build for nunu usually follows like this

consume - want this first so you can kill a jungle creep early, run in and hit it once or twice then consume and get back to lane in time for the creeps - its a real nice boost in exp
ice
ice
buff (unless you are getting really harassed and need lvl 2 consume for extra heals)
ice
ulti
ice
buff
ice
buff
buff
etc

basically after lvl 1 consume its ice > buff > consume taking ulti when you can

remember to save your ice blast for your bubble and use consume when you dont have it (if you have to choose between the 2 spells to use) i see way too many nunus with the free spell bubble run up beside me, consume a unit then ice blast me - this is a huge waste of mana

RoA is basically a must have item for nunu, gives the health / mana he needs and good ap which scales ******edly well with his spells

you will want to try and get it before the 15 minute mark if you can, before the 20 minute mark at worst

remember it takes 15 minutes to fill up to max

your ulti shouldnt be used to initiate team fights, it should be used in the middle of them after the majority of CC has been cast

ALSO if you go to gank 2 people and your ulti is up USE IT, most people dont like wasting ultis especially aoe ones and like to save them for bigger groups

but it isnt a waste if it helps you net a kill or 2

buff yourself, ice blast them, run infront of them so they have to go around you and ulti

yay for a free kill

Grovel

01-17-2010

I'm new, only level 14, but Nunu is quickly becoming one of my favorite champs thanks to snowball harassment and great support (ulti is fun too)

I think you gotta rush RoA. Sapphire > Catalyst > Rod of Ages
You can wait on boots thanks to Boil, so I pick up Tabi or Merc depending on composition next.

Next two for me are Banshee's and Void Staff depending how my team is doing (Void First if we're on the offensive, BV if we've been feeding/behind).

Either way, I don't think I've played a game with Nunu that's lasted long enough that I needed a 5th or 6th item. Deathfire is intriguing. Abyssal is strong. Zhonya's would be nasty, but expensive.

After the laning phase I see myself as a moving Buff Bot for our melee carries and tend to use my Ultimate more for defensive purposes (helping my teammates get away, scatters opponents when we're out numbered).

In my experience gold doesn't come easy to Nunu. AP build isn't great for jungling, and you really want to be involved in the gank squad. I want to make every item count so Mejai's is too much of a risk for a pub support Champ and Guise slows down my RoA rush, and isn't as useful mid/late game.

Sorano

Recruiter

01-17-2010

Next time I play Nunu I'll try giving him more caster items like in this thread. I usually built him with straight tank items and got decent success, but always ran with mana problems for the durations of the match.

I think I'll try:

1- Rod of Ages
2- Ninja Tabi Boots
3- Warmog's Armor
4- Banshee's Veil

Good mix of both defencive and caster stats.

IMSavior

01-17-2010

Quote:
Sorano:
Next time I play Nunu I'll try giving him more caster items like in this thread. I usually built him with straight tank items and got decent success, but always ran with mana problems for the durations of the match.

I think I'll try:

1- Rod of Ages
2- Ninja Tabi Boots
3- Warmog's Armor
4- Banshee's Veil

Good mix of both defencive and caster stats.

dont set in stone the boots you are going to get

if you are more on the offensive, then get sorc shoes

if you are getting owned my magic / cc get mercury

if a carry like yi is tearing you up, get tabi